Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post OFFICIAL: Possible adjustments to Gunner?
Recently there has been some discussion on Discord and In-Game about the scaling and viability of Gunner as a class. Most of these conversations center around DPS, and whether or not Gunner has much of it. Make no mistake, Gunner does a significant amount of DPS. However, the way it goes about doing this DPS is highly variable and is too volatile.

If we reduced the amount of damage extra targets of Death Blossom take, and increased the damage bonuses Gunner receives, what would happen is Gunners would still do really high total target DPS, but their single target DPS wouldn't be "bad" anymore.

A caveat, and huge benefit imo, is that the main target you hit with a splashing/chaining weapon becomes super important. You want to hit a target that causes your splashes to hit everything else, because a significant portion of your damage is propagated outward from that main target. If you just AFK hold down spacebar you're not going to do as much DPS as someone who is constantly switching targets to a much more central target. But the net result would mean that they would have roughly the same total DPS as they would have now.

This is also good because, at present, Gunner encourages you to keep as many targets alive as possible. If you don't do this, your DPS starts to drop off heavily. Under this change, you wouldn't have to worry about your DPS substantially decreasing.

An Example:

Let's say your Gunner does 30k DPS at present with a non splashing weapon.

What would happen is your Gunner could do 75k+ to one target, and 15k to 5 other targets. This means that Gunners would get roughly 150% more damage from their class skills, and the Death Blossom would do 25% of their total damage.

30k * 6 = 180k DPS
75k + 5*18.75k = ~168k DPS

The numbers can be tweaked as needed, but the general idea is solid. In order to do this change, one of the Class Skills would need to be changed. My idea is to get rid of Missile Mastery and replace it with a more useful set of bonuses, one of which could be these DPS increases.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MasterTrader on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:21 pm
Team: Adamantiumized Souls
Main: david3000
Level: 6244

Post Re: OFFICIAL: Possible adjustments to Gunner?
+1

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:21 pm
Main: Hyg
Level: 2790

+1

The cross-chaining which makes my gunner far more effective against an entire DG floor than against a single hawk always felt broken. This might also be the first step in making HF gunners actually useful again.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

ClxS wrote:
+1

The cross-chaining which makes my gunner far more effective against an entire DG floor than against a single hawk always felt broken. This might also be the first step in making HF gunners actually useful again.

Pretty much.

You can go and clear out the entire room of guards, but the boss too tanky for your piddly dps, and eventually kills you/you fail dg.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:40 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

So far I've been hearing overwhelmingly positive feedback about the idea, both here and on Discord. I'll be sure to pass this on to the other developers in our next meeting.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:15 pm
Main: Snakeyes
Level: 5945

This is great but i do see potential for problems. My BS has insane single target dps and it's splash is mediocre compared to it. But that to one side, i could make a high single target dps antu as things are now but that is from hardcore fine-tuning. Personally i don't think gunner needs to be better at single target dps as it's just another sniper but has a shield remodulator for resists.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:36 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

It feels bad when you only do 11k mining dps overall, but then the Seer turns around and kicks out 30-40k mining dps with a lower dps weapon. Especially when your AoE dps just cleared the whole room but there's one ai left and that one drops the loot. You can't clear the dg.

I want Gunner to do more single target dps, but I want it to keep the identity of non-being-a-sniper-or-zerk-or-sd.

I think we came to a compromise in all chat yesterday:

->Normal Gunners have big guns (so DPH focused rather than DPS, mechanics to support that method of play) rather than fast firing guns. Deathblossom will take 50% of the total dps and apply that to the DB extra shots. The target you choose for your single target damage while DBing is important.

->Missile Gunners (with appropriate missile generators and missile launcher tweaks) would end up being the Tank gunners. You can still take them out on a speedy setup, but overall they'll be the ones pulling aggro. It felt shitty that no other class with exception of Engineer during the "Drones blow up for good" era would be throwing literal money at the ai to kill them, even if the money amount was small.

->AoE Gunners are specialized Normal Gunners with a bazillion CIWS things plastered on their hull. You would actually have to build the gunner for AoE damage rather than snap on a couple Ball Lightnings and call it a day. KWC and a few other ships elsewhere would feed into this style.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:36 am
Main: Snakeyes
Level: 5945

If you're wanting tertiary type skills for specialized variations in setups Max I've already suggested it to create some variety but it was denied heavily.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:35 am