Team: Libre Nachos
Main: Deathbringer X
Level: 3369

Post Best and Worst Advanced Class SubSkills?
So its obvious that not all the advanced skills are equally useful. If they were, we would see a lot more variety in skill tree configurations between different characters under every class. Which skills tend to be underused among players and need to be buffed?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:15 pm
Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: yclept
Level: 2002

Post Re: Best and Worst Advanced Class SubSkills?
Thanks for starting this thread. I will be very interested to hear what everyone thinks about this.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. You may know me in-game as enkelin. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 pm
Main: Doran!
Level: 7005

My Sniper(s) uses Big Banker, Quick Scope and Centered.
My Speed Demon uses Strategic Deployment, Master Scout and Centered.
My Fleet Commanders use Wild Man, Bot Ph.D and Strategic Deployment.
My Gunner uses Advanced Targeting Computers, Extra Tweaked and Mass Destruction.
My Engineers use Computer Engineer, Droney and Strategic Deployment.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:33 pm
Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

Engineer
Best: Computer Engineer
Worst: Lol

Shield Monkey
Best: Funky Monkey
Worst: The other 3

Fleet Commander
Best: Adv. Flight Controller, Fleet Admiral (group runs to benefit gunners and hybrid capital ship slaves)
Worst: Fleet Protector

Gunner
Best: Adv. Targeting Computers, Mass Destruction
Worst: Gunboat Diplomat

Sniper
Best: Marksman (Solo sniper)
Worst: Quick Scope

Berserker
Best: Berserking Berserker
Worst: Berserker Classic

Speed Demon
Best: Lucky Devil
Worst: Fighter Ace

Seer
Best: Assassin
Worst: Brooding Gaze

General
Best: Centered (often picked by solo snipers, SDs, seers, and occasionally by FC and gunners)
Specialized: Droney (Engineer), Bot PhD (Fleet Commander), Shake it Off (Shield Monkey)
Niche: Resilient
Abysmal: Strategic Deployment (Delete Warp Beacons if you want to make this useful)

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Benuto
Level: 5870

Main FCs:
Centered, Adv. Flight Controller, Wildman.
I tend to run bank shields and each FC is geared to operate solo.

Berserker:
Centered, Berserker Classic, Berserking Berserker.
Solo Berserker that came from the 2008 era and doesn't like how slow they go.

Primary Sniper:
Centered, Marksman, Grooved Bores.
Solo Sniper (I'm sensing a pattern) that runs KD dgs.

Secondary Sniper:
Centered, Grooved Bores, Quick Scope.
Snappy, mid range sniper build.

Gunner:
Centered, Resilient, Extra Tweaked.

Speed Demon:
Centered, Shake It Off, Expansionist.
Solo SD for KD dgs.

Engineer:
Mechanical, Electrical, Droney.

I don't use my Seers or ShM enough to care about their skills.

--

Skills that could use buffs or reworks:

Strategic Deployment: You can't take damage or fire. Bonus is very small and would be a big benefit only with very slow moving Seers.

Resilient: Too situational.

Centered/Shake It Off: The only difference is your dead or alive status, could easily be merged into one skill.

Bot PhD: Only really useful with fighter FCs, as a Pax Selen is fairly fragile, has limited aug choices, and doesn't make that much of a damage difference.

Civil Engineer and Computer Engineer: Engineers don't want to be hard to heal and not many of them actually use their healing weapons outside the minmax characters.

All of the Shield Monkey skills are a pile of flaming shit. Only minmax endgame players even think about Light Fighter ShMs.

Eye for an Eye: Very misleading. Lifesteal is only like 5%, so +33% makes it like 6.5%. People get this skill for the Resistance bonus.

Acrobat is really underwhelming.

Master Scout: Only used on SDs that prospect or have an Eniac Omega Planet Scanner. No use in combat since nearly every aug a SD uses has +speed on it.

Fighter Ace: The class already has -30% range and you want to reduce it even further? And only for +15% RoF?

Lucky Devil: No one gets that for the Crit Percentage.

Clairvoyant: As if Seers didn't have radar bonuses at all.

Brooding Gaze: Useless with bank shields and isn't a huge deal with regen shields. Useless Elect bonus too.

Fleet Protector: You don't do any damage as a FC. Centered is a more powerful skill if you were thinking of deploying Bhisaj drones to heal yourself.

Advanced Targeting Computers: It's a bad skill that is only beneficial with splash weapons. 66% of elect used for firing a weapon + 100 elect for one more target sounds okay, but the 100 elect consumed is a constant and doesn't care if you're only facing less than the new maximum. It provides monster power with splash weapons when you get clumps of stuff together, though.

Missile skill: You don't need more missile slots and it's usually a downside. Extra missile charging rate is like RoF for missiles. You drain elect faster.

Gunboat Diplomacy: Capital Ships do everything that Heavy Fighters can do and more. There are not enough non-class locked superitems to make that extra slot worth it.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

FC: Fleet Admiral, Wild Man, Extra Tweaked? (Hard to remember, haven't seen my FC in a year)
Shm: Funky Monkey, Really Super, Shake it Off
Zerk: Big Banker, Weapons Master, Impervious Armor
Engineer: Droney, Mechanical Engineer, Computer Engineer

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 am
Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: yclept
Level: 2002

Can I jump in and ask you all to really highlight the Advanced subskills that are least useful? Those would be the ones I'd like to work on.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. You may know me in-game as enkelin. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Benuto
Level: 5870

yclepticon wrote:
Can I jump in and ask you all to really highlight the Advanced subskills that are least useful? Those would be the ones I'd like to work on.

Quote:
Skills that could use buffs or reworks:

Strategic Deployment: You can't take damage or fire. Bonus is very small and would be a big benefit only with very slow moving Seers since everything either shoots or gets shot on a frequent basis except for a DPH Seer.

Resilient: Too situational. There are generally more useful advanced skills.

Centered/Shake It Off: The only difference is your dead or alive status, could easily be merged into one skill.

Bot PhD: Only really useful with fighter FCs, as a Pax Selen (RC20) is fairly fragile, has limited aug choices, and doesn't make that much of a damage difference in T22 content. I've seen a couple of FCs utilize this skill but their slave dies at least once per ANY Kalthi Depths dg level, and every 2-5 levels for Perilous Space.

Civil Engineer and Computer Engineer: Engineers don't want to be hard to heal and not many of them actually use their healing weapons outside the minmax characters.

All of the Shield Monkey skills are a pile of flaming shit. Only minmax endgame players even think about Light Fighter ShMs.

Eye for an Eye: Very misleading. Lifesteal is only like 5%, so +33% makes it like 6.5%. People get this skill for the Resistance bonus.

Acrobat is really underwhelming.

Master Scout: Only used on SDs that prospect or have an Eniac Omega Planet Scanner. No use in combat since nearly every aug a SD uses has +speed on it.

Fighter Ace: The class already has -30% range and you want to reduce it even further? And only for +15% RoF?

Lucky Devil: No one gets that for the Crit Percentage.

Clairvoyant: As if Seers didn't have radar bonuses at all.

Brooding Gaze: Useless with bank shields and isn't a huge deal with regen shields. Useless Elect bonus too.

Fleet Protector: You don't do any damage as a FC. Centered is a more powerful skill if you were thinking of deploying Bhisaj drones to heal yourself.

Advanced Targeting Computers: It's a bad skill that is only beneficial with splash weapons. 66% of elect used for firing a weapon + 100 elect for one more target sounds okay, but the 100 elect consumed is a constant and doesn't care if you're only facing less than the new maximum. It provides monster power with splash weapons when you get clumps of stuff together, though.

Missile skill: You don't need more missile slots and it's usually a downside. Extra missile charging rate is like RoF for missiles. You drain elect faster.

Gunboat Diplomacy: Capital Ships do everything that Heavy Fighters can do and more. There are not enough non-class locked superitems to make that extra slot worth it.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:24 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

On my sniper I used Big Banker, Centered and Grooved Bores. Sometimes I'd swap Grooved Bores with Marksman though I think Marksman could use a buff in someway, same goes for Long Scope. Quick Scope since Analysis charging time was drastically cut down to 2 minutes? I personally think it's a waste and a bit silly now.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:12 am
Main: Doran!
Level: 7005

yclepticon wrote:

Shake it Off
Resilient
Flying Monkey
Tanky Monkey
Enveloping Monkey
Mechanical Engineer
Electrical Engineer
Acrobat
Fighter Ace
Brooding Gaze
Clairvoyant
Fleet Protector