Team: Traders League
Main: Lazerus
Level: 2345

Post Mini-Client
"MINI Client" - A truly minimal Installation!

There's no reason why SS-Client-2 cant be available as a small as possible package! Textures that have just enough resolution to be polygon mapped and sound that's 8-bit 12khz and ofcourse Client graphical elements that are just a likemindedly small for their requred functionality, that would include the smallest fonts for all elements so the play resolution could also be as low as possible.

I do believe that a play resolution of 640x480 could be enjoyably quick and smooth with a nice resolution-tight GUI still having enough map detail for fonted broad view and readable zoom etc!

My current gestimates for file size for the entire package would be around 250mb!

I tell you what, I'd happily download that to play on my backwards compatable old-hat machine and play smooth as ice till my hart was content.... My mate might do the same then like the game enough for the "4K Maximum Resolution (Full) Client Package" thats sitting at more than a Gig.

I'm assuming you good dev's can get your heads around the idea of mathimatically small enough textures that have just enougn resolution for polygon-mapping, and realise that at such comparatively low play resolutions, that such efforts actually turn out to look detailed enough!

A challange in itself, but not all that much work really, and just perhaps, more players will come along to check the game out, be them seniors with old machines that stick with the Mini-Client, or newbe's that wanted to take a look first before they commited their machines to the task of fully fledged gaming!

Hehe..

I wish, right?!

;-}

"Yeah spelling... blah... forgot what an auto-checker was... too much wine to give a toss (woops, did I say that?)... just want to get it out there?... Oh Nooo, the idiocy of being one... oh dear!.. Hahaha...Eh, too much fun isnt it?!.."

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:09 am

Post Re: Mini-Client
YES I'm going to reply to my own post, but its for the sake of elaborating! Here goes...hehe!

Interpreted HTML -> Client = HTML Interpreter?!

What the?

Yes seriously, I understand the potential of a programmed client acting as the functionality of HTML Language and that such writ may make for likewize web-server-interactions, but come-on, that's not at all efficient, and is likely a waste of data amount and throughput to achieve the required objectives!

So "O..K..", the "Server" is actually (SUN Microsystems style) UNIX like Server that is its own type of operating system (and hardware!) and all it does is Run a heap of web-page-HTML! You'd have to call liberty.starsonata.com an "Active HTML Page", no doubt, instead of the optimal possible reality of UNIX Programmed SERVER and therefore IBM Compatable C-Client..! So "Yeah", Liberty only has a certain amount of Slots for Clients to communicate with..But then, perhaps there are multiple Server-Slots for Client-Interaction that rather over complicates the issue... hehe.

So WHY then is Star Sonata's IBM Compatable Software Client INTERPRETING HTML FILES when it should be Processing Data-Structures for it to quickly expediate its communicative functionalities and User Interactions?!!

Its almost as if S.S. is freaking still a Game-Maker situation with a twist, and that twist is that its basis of opperation is the interpretatiion of 3rd-level programming, in other words, HTML in this instance.

That makes no logical sense to me at this point. Except perhaps to aleviate the previous developers facination and focus on a lower level language like HTML and his apparent need to understand everything in that vein... I pitty him, C Language is enlightening, especially with regards to its Microsoft Opperating System kindred nature!

Unyet what he achieved is a masterfull itteration of HTML Interpretation (For Development Purposes!!!) and leaving that aspect of Clients Function was perhaps a godsend to the up and commind enthusiasts that may have found S.S. and wanted to contribute...

I've always respected that guys ability to not just Programme, but machine-CODE a good and efficient Client (C.1!), so I can only hope as to wonder why todays youthfull exhuberance doesnt heed his prowess and come up with something that is far more imediately-logical as a basis, and thus far more efficient with the hardware for the new-age avid-gamer!

I could do it, but you'd have to pay me that much that I'd have a budget for a team of employees that were just as satisfied with their pay-packets!...

Keep up the good work guys and please think about how things could be more efficient, because, remember, the greater stastic of potential users out there is far greater than the measure of just your generation!

Cheers.

;-}

"MINI-Client please? Aww... Come ONnnnn.... YEAH WOW... Blow up a Zephragi for me will ya? hehe."

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Post Re: Mini-Client
Ok, My apologies; all of the above may be officially recognised as a "Drunken RANT"!

haha... er... Yeah.

I really should stop doing "that" by the way, and "let the game go"!

Case in Point.

:-)

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:20 am