Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: United Defense Alliance (UDA)
Keep in mind that avoiding anomie is one of the biggest reasons people believe in some things you would call crazy. Finding a sense of meaning is important, and community/rituals/shared stories is part of that overarching structure of meaning. Dogmatism comes about because if one thing about my beliefs is wrong, than what else could be wrong? Which sets off a cascade of doubt that can lead to a very scary conclusion. It's easier for people to stop before they even start down that road and just ignore anything that doesn't sit within their belief system.

Also, there are thousands of denominations of Christianity. All with different understandings of what it means to be Christian and how much of the Bible you have to adhere to and how important it is to do this or that and whether or not Jesus dying for your sins absolves you for all of your Sin or only some of it. And this is where you can be a homosexual and a christian, because if all sin is equal then being homosexual is no worse than sleeping with another man's wife or wearing clothing with mixed fabrics or being touched by a woman on her period and so on and so forth.

All of those rules, historically, came about as a way to deal with social issues at the time. If you look at what societies of that time were doing you can see some possible historical explanation for rules. Homosexuality, simple example of a complex topic, fucks up a few things if you're living in Mesopotamian (around 3000bc and onwards) times. Sons are supposed to offer sacrifices, have more sons and teach them how to do sacrifices (sacrifice could be anything, from food to whatever else) and you would burn things to send them to the spirit world. If you don't send sacrifices to the spirit world, your ancestors don't have a pleasant experience and they might not support you (might even torment you).

So if you're a guy that's not into women at all, there's a huge problem. You might do your sacrifices, but when you die there won't be any sons to continue doing them. That means your father and his father have a great interest in making sure you fuck women like you're supposed to and have sons. This is an extremely simplified example, but it gives some possible context.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:30 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Tomzta09 wrote:
Everyone on the planet knows that the bible is against homosexuality. Therefore, you can't really say you're a Christian or whatever and be a homosexual at the same time because you're basically "sinning" the moment you are dunked underwater. That's the thing with religion, people claim they believe in it all but the things that affect their moral instincts they'll ignore.

Oh I believe in Heaven, I believe Jesus and the resurrection yeah sure! Oh, premarital sex? No I think that was a typo, so that's open to interpretation!

I believe in the Garden of Eden, love thy neighbour yeah sure! (to a certain extent) except for that annoying bastard who keeps playing insanely loud music at 4am in the morning, going to poison his flipping dog if he doesn't stop! But the Bible was written before insanely loud music was played at 4am so its open to interpretation!

...No, you don't believe it! :lol:

I'll say this one last thing and I will not say anymore but this is how you can tell. Whenever there is a big crisis, whether it's 9/11 or a bus full of kids goes into a lake or a mass shooting in Paris, you see people whining on TV "waaaaaaa it's horrible! its horrible and its tragic waaaaaa!! But at least he's in a better place now, he's with Jesus!"

Then why are you crying? If you with all your heart and soul believes that your loved one is dancing on a little fluffy cloud, not caring for what is happening to you in everlasting paradise? Why are you crying? You should be ecstatic if you really believe it, should be calling up all your friends "Hey! Did you hear the great news? Lightning struck my baby yeah! He's in a better place now!"

Completely wrong on the first part. If you sin it does not send you to hell, you're clearly not very familiar with the religion. There are three verses in the Christian Bible that tell you exactly how and what you have to do to get into Heaven. All it is is surrendering to Christ, accepting that he died for your sins. You can live in sin and go to Heaven, it literally fucking tells you that in the Bible, so long as you have accepted Christ.

So, is the Bible against it; yes. Does it mean you are not Christian, or disqualified for Christianity; no.

Disclaimer: Catholicism is different, they have some weird asking forgiveness for individual sins thing, and then stopping them or them being therefore unforgiven sins and sending you to hell, even though the Bible never mentions anything like that. They're also the origin of the belief that suicide is a go to hell free card, which the only times suicide is touched on in the Bible, the individual is never condemned. Catholics love to add non-canon content to the religion. They're like extended universe writers for Star Wars.

As for the second bit, I don't mourn, and I don't think anyone has ever mourned the passing of someone because of their now presumed location. Mourning has to do with personal loss. Whether you are atheist, Buddhist, Christian, whatever their is mourning, and it has more to do with personal loss of that person than it does with the perception of what happens after death.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:24 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: crop octagon
Level: 6039

Last I checked we were in the team politics section. Seeing as this is not a holy war please take the dicussion somewhere else?

#notamodbutiplayoneontv

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:13 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Rocket Slugg wrote:
Last I checked we were in the team politics section. Seeing as this is not a holy war please take the dicussion somewhere else?

#notamodbutiplayoneontv

Sort of is a religious war since the KoS came out of a religious debate, lol.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:57 pm
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

the jihad is real.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Razzy
Level: 4064

allahu akbarrrrrrrrrrrr!