Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Is Ebony wurf?
Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:24 pm
Yes 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Very yes 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Sort of yes 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Yes please 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Ebony 34%  34%  [ 14 ]
#swagger420 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 41

Team: Traders
Main: PrincessLuna
Level: 3591

Post Re: Ebony.
Well damn.

I guess somebody has to lay the smack down.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I count

1 Zerk
2 Snipers
1 Engi
4 ShM
5 FC
0 Gunners?!

so that's 13 alts. FYI, Serendib would almost certainly have held if you'd put all the defense kits in one place. But I really have to wonder what crazy kind of aug setup you use, seeing that you have kits banking after mere seconds of Anni Cannon. Maybe you had sub-par energies on those kits, as well.

Saying that you "use Achilles augs" by way of justifying your gal defense integrity is like someone complaining they can't DPS Hephaestus even though they "use DWatt augs."

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:37 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

Meh kinda weak that you'd take out such a weaker team RF /dislike

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:05 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Looks like yuh made the mistake of not having a wise one on your team.

Pvp in this game is now a bunch of 5-10 guys bullying who they like, when they like, how they like and then ganging up on the forums to tell you which line of the spreadsheet you missed just to cover their asses morally.

9/10 people always enjoy gang rape statistically!

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

sabre198 wrote:

Pvp in this game is now a bunch of 5-10 guys bullying who they like, when they like, how they like and then ganging up on the forums to tell you which line of the spreadsheet you missed just to cover their asses morally.

Was wondering howlong it would be before the next wise ones post :roll:

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:54 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

sabre198 wrote:

Stop whining man besides it's not true when I was drunk a bit and decided it was to pop an IE galaxy (this was somewhere previous uni) my leadership talked with IE and made me pay for the costs which I caused (which i gladly accepted seeing how it was a dick move) you make it seem like it's a wild lawless jungle out there which it is not if it was there wouldnt be any newb teams be building in wild space and EF and Traders would just wipe everyone out. There is still definitely a form of social control in SS so stop bitching

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:11 pm
over 9000!

I don't see what this has to do with the "wise ones." To me it's about IE majorly cutting corners on galaxy defense compared to Traders, and being called on it after presumably years of cashing in. How is my lack of sympathy so different from the following case?

Players discover that Snipers can solo Hermes by cheesy outside-the-ring tactics. Those who use the exploit start raking in Hermes gear at an incredible rate compared to those who don't. Admins finally fix the exploit. The ones who didn't use it are justifiably pleased that they aren't on the bad end of the progression curve anymore. If perchance a few temp bans are handed out, all the better.

Similarly, I feel justified in being pleased that these guys are no longer outpacing my colony income by skimping on defense costs. Their inflated earnings have been reducing my purchasing power in the market for too long. :D

I confess that last paragraph is partly tongue-in-cheek; it's pretty hard to assess the effect their behavior has had on my purchasing power. But all that aside, this game is very much about territorial conquest. IE built in warp 3 space and held rather more galaxies than Traders. If they genuinely fit into the category of nubsquad lolbuilders, they would be content to populate Warp 1-2. I highly doubt that RF would have hit them in that case, at least not without considerable community backlash for sitting on an actual noob team. I don't know if you've noticed but there is hardly anyone building in Warp 1-2 this uni. I'm not sure where everyone got the idea that Warp 3 is the kiddie pool of SS, but I'm glad that someone's been disabused of this notion in this little military exercise.

Oh and BTW, Red Faction and Infernal Empire are Traders alt teams so I'm going to go ahead and file this under internal team affairs. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:23 pm

I learnt from Kane its far more effective and fun to drive by a thread, post semi coherent claptrap and then run off (bit like his seer tbh :lol: ).

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

anilv wrote:
But all that aside, this game is very much about territorial conquest.

This game has never been about territorial conquest for several years. Neither is Infernal Empire anywhere near a threat to Red Faction. Their existance is irrelevant for Red Faction. Stop trying to make reasonings about territorial conquest and galaxy defense. topbuzz is right in what he is writing. Red Faction did this just to treat their own boredom and get some adrenaline, and by making statements about galaxy defense, profit and territorial conquest, you can get away with it without looking like a total warhungry bunch of kids.

I can also go and steamroll some colonist galaxies that aren't well enough protected to please the standards of those who call themselves "the followers of the minimum requirements", but by doing so I get nothing but a bit of adrenaline, I might get a bit less bored, and I most likely strengthen my position as one of the players that topbuzz call "wise ones".

In fact, it surprised me that Lemon would try to wipe out several players that seem to be in his targeting audience for his marketing. Maybe he has a super plan of advertising for base gear sales in a few days?

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:58 pm
over 9000!

How is it not about territorial conquest? People have been blowing up each other's territory pretty much every uni for years now. You don't need to give a reason for it. If I feel like it's in my interests to blow up some other team, it's up to my detractors to stop me. The game is very much designed to support this kind of behavior, whether or not everyone enjoys it.

In this particular case, I've already said I don't necessarily support RF's actions. If I did support them, I would likely have drawn up plans to wipe IE myself; needless to say, I have done no such thing. On the other hand, I do feel that IE were severely overextended and should have built in lower DF if they didn't want to defend their territory better. Ultimately, I just don't have very strong feelings about this either way. RF decided to bully a weak team that should have learned their lesson a long time ago. Nothing to see here, move along.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:07 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

Ebony and the rest of IE's galaxies have not been taken over by Red Faction according to the universe map. I don't care either way, but this wasn't territory control ... imo seems more like a camaraderie building exercise.

But its all good, should teach people not to build if they aren't willing to build with the understanding that anyone can come and kill their stuff for any reason. Lets just call a spade a spade though, shall we? :P

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:25 pm

anilv wrote:
How is it not about territorial conquest? People have been blowing up each other's territory pretty much every uni for years now. You don't need to give a reason for it. If I feel like it's in my interests to blow up some other team, it's up to my detractors to stop me. The game is very much designed to support this kind of behavior, whether or not everyone enjoys it.

Thats what I was hoping the base rebalance was going to address, unfortunately it was another lie. The game is not designed to support this sort of behaviour at all, its designed to support capitalist monopolistic conversion of territory by the big fish at the expense of the small fish.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

anilv wrote:

In this particular case, I've already said I don't necessarily support RF's actions. If I did support them, I would likely have drawn up plans to wipe IE myself; needless to say, I have done no such thing. On the other hand, I do feel that IE were severely overextended and should have built in lower DF if they didn't want to defend their territory better. Ultimately, I just don't have very strong feelings about this either way. RF decided to bully a weak team that should have learned their lesson a long time ago. Nothing to see here, move along.

If this game was about territorial conquest, people would be blowing up each others territories for reasons that related to the territories. In most cases, it is not related to that at all. It is either related to a mental state of mind or social conflicts.

And let's be honest. When Traders attacked Strawberry Pancakes, it was because Strawberry Pancakes' past caught up with their present. Their location in the universe, which was in fact a territorial matter, legitimised the full wipeout.

The reason why I'm saying that this isn't territorial, is the exact same reason to why Infernal Empire have been able to expand in such a way as they did: there is rarely any incentive towards taking control of the "best" territories. This is a trend we have seen the past few universes, where you'd basically be building based on which galaxies that weren't taken already, instead of fighting for the best galaxies. And now we've seen two major wipeouts in the past year, and both reason this with "territorial conquest". One was legit, the other wasn't.

Your idea of territorial conquest is an illusion, enkelin. If this game was about territorial conquest, you'd see major fights over resources, artifacts, there would be political expansion of team spaces, there would be a lot more unrest in the game as a whole. This was the case in the past, but the game has outgrown its own incentives to create such an unrest, which is the key to all territorial conquest. Would you really go all out just to obtain control of my Adamantium moon? If you would, then I'd welcome your move on my team space, and I wouldn't even have to ask if you were bored or if you just didn't like me as a player.

But today, that is not the case. There is no unrest in wild space, and there can be no territorial conquest where there is no unrest.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:49 pm
over 9000!

Fair points, I concede that my use of the word "conquest" was not precise. However, I'm going to reiterate my opinion that the mechanics of territorial combat are fully supported by SS and I don't have a problem with teams taking advantage of those mechanics. I don't see it as a bad thing at all if teams police each other from time to time, especially in the highest DF tier of Wild Space. The alternative would obviously be a kiddie-pool mentality to building, which I feel would be toxic to the game. I'm not going to get into the business of judging which wipeouts are legitimate. In both cases you mention, the target team had claimed a large amount of warp 3 space without defending it well. I don't see a compelling reason to bring any other context into it.

I agree completely that the incentives are no longer there for teams to actually contest territory for its strategic resources. For example, in most cases it would be far too expensive in both physical and diplomatic capital to seize an Ada source from another team of comparable strength.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Guys, thanks for some great and interesting posts. You are both gents and scholars. I know I come across as a troll these days but its only cos I care about whats left of the game. too few do.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next