Team: Zero Gravity
Main: Zotowan Q
Level: 479

Post Seven Tips To Surviving A Battle
This guide is lovingly dedicated to all the low-levels who are screaming because they were nuked by some random AI.

Now, allow me to give you the big picture: you will always be fighting. There really isn't any way to avoid it, unless you hide in a space station all the time out of fear of space rats. (Oh, the glorious dung pellets!)

So, you will be doing battle and making war with various AI ships and occasionally (gods forbid) player ships. Here's a brief guide on surviving some pretty nerve-racking battles and making sure you avoid the wrong ones!

1. Make sure you can actually kill your target. This is the golden rule! Take everything in account; your shields, your energy, your weaponry (and electricity consumption), and any item tweaks. Check out your opponent's level, and, if possible, find out what sort of equipment it has.

2. Never mess with AI teams unless you mean it! Too many times, I've heard players ranting and raving about how they were going to have vengeance on a powerful team. Well, get this: AI teams are ruthless, and will constantly attack you on sight. So, unless you're absolutely positive you can take on an entire team, don't piss any allied AI off! This applies to player teams as well (which can be worse).

3. Always prepare for battles! Doesn't matter if you know your target is easy. Bring some extra shield salves and diffusers, just in case the worst happens. If you're going to take on an especially difficult enemy, this is definitely a must if you want to live.

4. Bring some help for really difficult battles. You may have heard of slaves and drones. Well, they aren't just for trading or protecting personal belongings; they can also do battle along your side! For hard fights, bring a few drones or slaves with you, if you can afford to use them. Or, even better, bring a friend! After all, people are smarter than AI (most of the time).

5. Specify a fighter ship! Basically, a fighter ship must be fast enough to out-fly an enemy or projectiles, large enough to scoop up loot and equip powerful (and sometimes bulky) weaponry, and strong enough to stare down even the toughest of enemies. Remember, equipment always counts!

6. Sometimes, big isn't always the best. Occasionally, big equips and ships aren't always the best for fighting. For example, bulk traders aren't as good as wingships (sometimes). You need to take weight, size, speed, recovery rates, and recoil times in account.

7. Always, always, use your brain! Your pile of noodles wasn't just made for calculating (evil) math problems; it was also used to think. So, use common sense before fighting it out! This way, you'll survive most (that's right, most) of your battles!

So, those are seven of my top tips for staying alive. And remember, better to be safe than sorry!

Last edited by SSGamer on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:21 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Seven Tips To Surviving A Battle
There IS no typo, also why did you bump this thread? Also he/she made an account a long time before you did...

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq21 ... ed1555.png

Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:19 pm
Profile WWW

Guides were made to be bumped. They get more reads that way.

:P

Otherwise, everything Nabaco said is true.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:29 pm
Profile WWW

Did you make that account just to bump this? :P

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq21 ... ed1555.png

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Immortal Paladin
Level: 207

Missed some big parts of surviving. Diffusers and tweaks are a great source of help. Taking less damage with diffusers is a huge bonus. And quicker regen on shields, more damage, becoming impervious to non-eth attacks, faster rate of fire, more elec, and being able to hide are near to the best things you can get in a battle.

*Staring at admins for C2 preview*
Everyone join in!

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:34 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Voodoo wrote:
and being able to hide

until the guy hits you with a tractor....

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:03 am

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Voodoo wrote:
and being able to hide

And then you pop a grav disruptor.

Everyone join in!

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:13 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Voodoo wrote:
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Voodoo wrote:
and being able to hide

And then you pop a grav disruptor.

and you watch as it fails to work

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:39 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Qu4NtuM
Level: 7713

Battlecruiser23 wrote:

Actually, the do work, just not on AI.

Player tractors are constant, AI ones fire in very fast intervals. For instance, if you jump in a DG with 8 GBs and mash the F button long enough you will be able to jump out.

I have reasons for why I do things.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:31 am

Qu4NtuM wrote:
Battlecruiser23 wrote:

Actually, the do work, just not on AI.

Player tractors are constant, AI ones fire in very fast intervals. For instance, if you jump in a DG with 8 GBs and mash the F button long enough you will be able to jump out.

And then you jump back in because you were spamming the F key. I hate when that happens.

Everyone join in!

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Voodoo wrote:
Missed some big parts of surviving. Diffusers and tweaks are a great source of help. Taking less damage with diffusers is a huge bonus. And quicker regen on shields, more damage, becoming impervious to non-eth attacks, faster rate of fire, more elec, and being able to hide are near to the best things you can get in a battle.

I did mention shield salves, wanted to keep it fairly simple so low-leveled people would understand it better. Things like afterburners and blockers are only good if used correctly.

Thanks for mentioning diffusers, I made this guide a long while ago and forgot to add those.

Quicker regen on shields means a heavy drain on energy banks, and really good low-tech energies are hard to get if you're, say, level 12 with limited funds.

More damage and a faster rate of fire can help kill the enemy faster (which in turn makes sure you end up alive, for the most part) but I'm talking about surviving a battle or avoiding a bad one, not primarily about winning it.

Using stealth to escape is a good point, I'll see if I can incorporate it.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:03 pm
Profile WWW