over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Post Guide for being a good Fleet Commander
Guide to being a good Fleet Commander:
This Guide is split into three areas: Radiation Expert, Slave master, and Flight Controller.

Fleet Commander Slave fleets are divided into three sets whether you are Radiation Expert, or Slave Master, or even Flight Controller.
Fleet is when the number of you slaves is five or more and they have a high collective dps. Of course when the Ai pays attention to a slave, it is dead. It is best to focus all the aggro or attention of the Ai on you or make it so that the slaves are identical and have equal agro.
Flotilla is a few slaves. Three or four slaves make up a Flotilla. Flotillas are generally made up of 3 Earthforce Frigate slaves. Flotilla setup is a good balanced setup. Slaves can tank, and still attack, plus you guys can retreat back to a warp if needed.
Squadron is only two slaves. Those two slaves are bodyguards of the owner and are usually very expensive and high tech. Two Battlecruisers or Warden Slaves are examples.

Slave Mastery
Slave Masters are masters of Tame Slaves, or in other words, slaves in which you personally equip the combat controlbot.
Slave masters should equip a mining, a heat, and a surgical weapon on his/her slaves. W2 Ai tends to be weak to one of these weapon types.
Tame Slaves should be augged for damage and electricity. An Earthforce Frigate slave augmenter setup is Zombie Rat Queen’s augmenter and Tear augmenter.
Your ship should be setup with a defensive hostile augmenter setup so you’ll tank the target and your slaves will do the damage.
Hostility on a slave is very bad. Having just a bit of extra hostility of a slave will cause the target to attack your slave and it will die. If one of your slaves dies, most likely the rest of your slaves will also die and you too will die.
Always equip a stasis generator to each of your slaves.

Radiation Expert
As a Radiation Expert, or RadX, one is a master of capping Ai to fight alongside you. A RadX has to be able to cap Ai on the go as capped Ai does not have a stasis generator. Capped Ai tends to have better stats than tame slaves (not taking the skill into effect). One will have to look out for and study the Ai before he/she captures them. Without some study, that capped Ai may have poor stats and might cost you your Gear Glue in battle.
Some Ai to look out for to capture and use as combat buddies are Ujqii’s of “Mini Bana” due to their Urqa’qii and Ethereal Laser, Monochrome Tints because of their C-Beam and Torpedo II, and Paximinus for the Paxian protection against the elements resists.
Radiation Experts also can use special negative shield tweaking aura generators. All of these auras should kill the target’s shield regeneration. Leaky Reactor is the Tech 5 generator.
Since the Radiation Expert skill increases Radiation weapons’ damage by 10% each level, be sure to keep a Radiation weapon equipped at all times. Bule Invader is a solid and cheap Radiation weapon at only twenty million credits each.
It is alright if your wild slaves have some hostility as they can be replaced.

Flight Controller
Flight Controllers are the fighter carriers of battle. They are to stay out of battle while an Ai attempts to kill him/her while his/her fighters do the damage. Fighters require a fighter bay and a freighter or capital ship of the appropriate technology level to use.
Fighters usually have a little effect on their target. Bulldog Light Fighters slows down their target. A Flight Controller should use these effects to his/her advantage. A good Flight Controller carries several types of slaves because of these little effects.
Fighters are expendable, so, one should carry extra fighters in case some get destroyed.
A Flight Controller’s ship should be augged for speed and shield as they are vulnerable up close. EF Frigates are the best choice for a Flight Controller, though an EF Destroyer is alright only if it moves at one hundred or higher.
Using slaves to launch fighters is a good way to significantly boost firepower, thought you can never retreat well due to your slaves’ stupidity.

Fri May 16, 2008 9:06 am
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Post Re: Guide for being a good Fleet Commander
as a flight controller, i completly disagree with the speed part.
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
A Flight Controller’s ship should be augged for speed and shield as they are vulnerable up close. EF Frigates are the best choice for a Flight Controller, though an EF Destroyer is alright only if it moves at one hundred or higher.
Using slaves to launch fighters is a good way to significantly boost firepower, thought you can never retreat well due to your slaves’ stupidity.

The higher tech you can get, the stronger are the fighters you can use. Im in a battlecruiser, using pos+ and fleet prowess so i can tank quite good, and i can tell you that even if they use laser, the t16 border collie, are the strongest dps fighters i could find (except when target is imune to laser). They dont have any side effect, but they do crit often wich is at least as good lol.
I use 3 fregate slave to launch more fighters, using the t10 dacshund fighters. So with 3 fregate each launching 6 fighters (flight controller 20) and me launching 8 fighters, 24 fighters swarming enemy. Tho i gotta say, im wondering how will i be able to fight in about 300 lvl using fighters. Im about at the maximum power i can get now. Only thing missing (big thing) is the flight controller aura t15, that ill use as soon as the aura are fixed (eagerly waiting for a patch once again -_- plz dont take too long admin).

Fri May 16, 2008 10:13 am
over 9000!

Jey, i believe the border colie's effect is the fact they can do crit hits, tho i have no proof.

Fri May 16, 2008 8:20 pm
Dev Team

i dont think so. all the built fighters dont have any effect, may that be the border collie, the terrier, the buldog, or the dacshund. They just have "Firepower" if i dare say so lol.

Fri May 16, 2008 11:45 pm
over 9000!

dont bulldog fighters cause target to have a reduced speed?

Fri May 16, 2008 11:47 pm
Dev Team

well the 3 other dont have any effect then =P

Sat May 17, 2008 11:30 am
over 9000!

i'd like to see whippet fighters have a grem forced thrust effect and dashchunds having reduced resistance to mining...must make suggestion

Sat May 17, 2008 11:53 pm
Dev Team

no the low tech are good already. What we need is some more higher lvl fighters lol. Im lvl 788 now and well, there is only 2 thing i can do to increase my fighters dps a little more.
1. Get rc 18 and 3 destroyer, so i can use 18 t12 instead of t10 fighters
2. Get a dread and use the flight controller 20 aura so my fighter all get 20 more dmg instead of 15.

I cant figure how it could be possible for someone lvl 1.5-1.6k to fight using fighters as main dps lol.

Sun May 18, 2008 2:14 pm
over 9000!

use sba fighters or agamenon fighters?

Sun May 18, 2008 8:30 pm
Dev Team

sba fighter just plain suck lol. And is it even possible to get the agamenon fighters. If it is, i want some lol, but i strongly doubt there is any bp or way to get them, since you cant cap the battleship :P

Sun May 18, 2008 9:29 pm
Main: Tengu
Level: 866

What about the dark fighters? Not sure how well those would work against AI.

Sun May 18, 2008 9:41 pm
Dev Team

dark fighter are freighter only, so well, not really the best for a fleet commander using fighters since the best bays are capital fighter bay and that with fleet focus, you get so much bonus on capital.

Sun May 18, 2008 10:02 pm
over 9000!

i think the green battleships can be capped, but you need rc 18, RadX 20, and 2+ lvls of slave research. but it'll take a but load of radX's and a full gb killing squad to cap one. i still think the reaver slave option is better. Grem lasers ftw!

Mon May 19, 2008 1:06 am
Dev Team

well, yea you can cap a green battleship as wild slave, but i meant having their fighter on my ship :P. You cant cap it to take his gear or item... And i know reaver are an alternative, but that doesnt help the fighters users.

Mon May 19, 2008 1:39 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Qu4NtuM
Level: 7713

Currently slaves are still the way to go, I highly doubt a fighter solution of any kind can match one of my slaves by even half... and I have 4.

Anyway, with the "balancing" of the slaves since the days of slaves having AI tweak they have pretty much sucked, which is not to say they weren't broken then but still, now they are just "meh" at times. With that brute force being removed all the flaws of the slaves came into light like random drifting, not shooting when they don't feel like it, getting you podded in sol, starting aggro balls that last for weeks, spawning GSA in UZ and getting everyone killed and just plain EATING GEAR GLUE...

Big up to HAL since most of these bugs have been solved... more or less...
They still eat glue, cause they are basically stupid and I hope in client 2 they will eat less glue since you can tell then exactly where to go.. I hope.. And they can still eat other people's glue since they still spawn shit when a lagspike makes them fly too far (this really needs a fix).

Anyway, here is a guide to endgame slaves or something like that.

With t20 augs not being available you really don't have much to work with. So after wasting lots of creds and ships and augs... here is the secret: bank powered slaves.

Basically, you will NEVER be able to make a slave that can do damage and be able to power it's weapons with under t20 augs so don't even try.

-SHIELD
HIGH shield bank, regen is irrelevant since they will not be able to tank big things anyway and you really want them to live, worry about shields after you have won the fight. Also, low shields are priority target on AI and you really don't want high lvl AI shooting your slaves. This is before any hostility is pooled, so essentially all the new spawns (UZ, bana, etc...) will go for your slaves and the slaves will die cause they are still stupid and don't dodge. Also high regen shields eat up loads of elec. With elec being by far the biggest issue on endgame slaves you really want minimal elec use.

-DMG vs ROF
High damage mod, LOW rof. Try to avoid all rof bonuses and get as much dmg augs and overloaders as you can (OS 5 is the best cause I said so). Also use ares control bots if possible. It's not very well known, but slaves don't get a rof bonus since some issue. The 2% to all stats listed in the skill actually give no rof and you get 2x the dmg to compensate . I'm calling this a feature, because if this DID work, then any and all high end slaves will stop working because the elec issues already present will become a really huge problem. I really hope they keep it the way it is , or if they do fix it slaves better get a hefty elec tempering bonus to go with it. Essentially slaves always fire at the base rof of the weapon and are not subject to rof modifiers or any kind as far as I know.

-RANGE AND WEAPONS
I find range bonus is horrible in most cases. With projectile weapons like jacks slaves will miss alot and since it's not exactly something they can power you loose lots of DPS. So try to avoid range bonuses from augs or anything else if you are using projectiles. It helps with beam weapons that insta-hit, but those weapons usually come with lower dps, bad dmg type (most lazorz suck, m'key?) and huge elec needs which means they can power them even less.

However, beam weapons are most effective so if you find something that you feel works (I used jade quark lasers before t20, these work, but look very gay) go for it. Slaves have like 95% accuracy with beam weapons, so if you are going after something agile use them.

Also consider that slaves pass over a target, then turn around aiming at the target and drift out to their weapon range. All that time firing. So if you are using mags, they will fly far out and at the edge of the range with a mobile target you will loose lots of dps since they will miss alot. Same goes for jack-type weapons since the projectiles have a base speed at which they move. So bullets coming out of a slave while it's backdrifting will actually stand still, which means they don't hit, which means you loose dps. LCs don't work cause the bullets are too slow, Catas don't work either (vigi cata works). DWOs don't work either.

Shortrange weapons seem to work best on agile fast slaves since the margin that they will miss is very small. Also it makes then buzz around more since they reach their max range fast, which in turn makes them harder to hit with pulse weapons that most AI carry and prefer to use

-ELEC
As I already stated slaves are bank powered, means you can't make a sustainable slave. So you want to aug up and use an energy that will get you a good bank (minimum 10k with t20 weapons) and 200ish regen. Bank is actually the bank you get with augs applied, regen is base regen of energy. Go look in TLA for anything you think might fit that description and your hullspace and all that. But yea, energy with 200ish regen that gets over 10k bank when augs are applied. This works in most situations. You can go with REALLY high bank and very small regen using panels. But panels and antipanels don't seem to work together very well so I predict issues with powering.

-SPEED
faster the better obviously. However too fast and they become less effective. Somewhere around 150-200 seems to work. Too slow and they can't catch some AI. Too fast and they tend to overshoot so weapon choice is really important here

-AGILITY
Depends on weapons, short range you need to be very agile and fast, long range agility isn't that much of a problem, however speed is.

-BASIC TACTICS
-Settings
First off, you want to have "fight enemies" turned off. And you want to have "attack my target turned on". You wanna control your slaves not have them run around shooting random stuff they can't even hope to break alone. ALWAYS KEEP AND EYE ON THE SLAVES!!!

-Aggro
You need to be the tank and pull all the aggro, because when slaves start getting shot you loose them. Difficult part with the new aggro code and all that is if you drift out of AI range faster then AI then they switch to slaves, means they die, means you loose GG and dps, means you can't kill the AI, means more slaves die, means you gonna die since you will have no dps... means you pay tonns of cash for GG and a tow.

Slaves generate hostility for the owner so if you can stay in the range of AI and dodge/tank you in the green. Means you need to be good at flying your ships to keep aggro (and not die, we will get to that later) from switching to slaves.

If you see a slave getting hit fly in and shoot the AI, if you close to it they usually switch so you save your slave. Also if you have a good healing weapon(which you should have in any case) you can heal the slave that's getting shot and generate healing aggro for yourself, which in turn will make AI switch to you, which is good. But this needs to be a good weapon since you need to offset the aggro that the slave is generating. Basically means heal a lot.

-What to shoot, when to shoot
Target priority is very important. First things you need to kill are those with traction augs since they screw up your aggro management big time. Second things to go are fast AI, since they will most likely wear down your shields since you can't control aggro and dodge them at the same time. Then take out things that you feel do LOTS of damage. Like if MF pick takes half your shields with one lucky shot you know it's damage modded and has to go first. Leave things with high shields or resists to the last. If you primary something that you feel is highly shielded switch targets if you think slaves have enough energy. You can judge approximate shields of AI by setting /showslavedamage in event tab.

-How to shoot
Hit and run(regen) tactics. Since you can't power anything (trust me you will not be able to I tried and it was an "epic fail" so don't even waste money) for too long you need to take out your target and give time to regen. When fighting big things choose targets only when slaves are at max energy since then they do good dps. When they begin to power their weapons from thier own regen the DPS drops drastically and the target might not die and you will. Also the longer you shoot something the higher the odds that something will go wrong, like AI switch target's to slaves or you die etc. So get in, kill it off, give slaves time to regen, kill off another. Check the energy level on slaves constantly. If you have the same configuration you only need to check one so it's easier. it's the "X" and "status".. and then look in event tab of the chat.. annoying but becomes second nature.

-Targeting
With the attack my target on you can either shoot an AI(must hit) or tractor it to make slaves go after it. But you can't make them disengage. So once you choose a target you are commited. With limited energy you can't just switch targets either. So choose wisely and think before you set a target. Setting wrong target primary is usually what gets you. You shoot the wrong thing hotheaded, find it's either heavy shielded really low priority or that you have some insane traction auged demon spawn pushing you out and causing aggro to jump to slaves. 5 minutes later you will find yourself in a pod on the way to sol asking team chat for GG money or help with rescue.

-Stealthy critters
When fighting stealthy AI you gotta keep a tractor on them at all time to see thir position. Slaves still get bugs when their target cloaks so if you don't get back in visual range fast enough you may find your firepower drifting off in random directions.

-Tweaks
Slaves know how to use tweaks, so keep a few advanced blockers on your slaves since they can save them many times. For instance panthers in UZ have crazy damage that can kill off most things in one pass. With blockers they only get in the first volley since any large damage will cause slaves to tweak up and rest of the deathspray will do no harm. Don't use ABs when solo, since if it comes to that you are probably shooting something that hurts like hell. If you AB away your stupid slaves will lag behind and get killed off and you will have no DPS.

-Bring it on
Know your limits. Know where you can control aggro and know what will kill you. FC is the most difficult class to fight multiple AI. People go "ZOMG needz nerfzorz" when my slaves kill some solo AI in one pass. Nothing a seer, sniper or MF can't do, but when it comes to mobs other classes still excel, SDs especially whereas FCs have a really hard time just to be half on par with what you can do with any other class. It all looks very deceptive, it's really hard work, lots of multitasking and not even close to what it may look like "on paper" or whatever. Just so you know, most slave setups that seem "good" on paper actually fail horribly. Found that out the hard way.

-Going with a group
When in group, choose carefully who you play with. Most people are completely incompetent, Especially SDs. There are very few good SDs in the game, those that actually got a clue, a very rare breed. Most people are muppets that will ruin all your aggro control and not pay for any GG you loose.

-Details, details...
So, be smart. Good multitasking and piloting is required. Always keep an eye on every AI and slave, know who is shooting who and how far they are. Very very very deep pockets are required, the money you will spend on GG is going to be astronomical. And the gear you need to even compete with other classes is times the number of slaves squared ( effectiveness = numberOfSlave ^ 2 * costOfGear ). Not for people with short tension spans or IQ of a toilet seat.

-The end, my 2 ISK (pun intended) :mrgreen:

-Can't be arsed to fix bad spelling. Probably lots of points I missed but hey, think you can do it better go right ahead.

I have reasons for why I do things.

Thu May 22, 2008 4:36 pm