Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Abbara
Level: 6776

Post Re: Gunner Guide
yugioh124 wrote:
Stooch pretty much summed it up, here are a few other pointers:

1: In a cap ship, do not expect to power. You cannot. I have a lion heart and lots of solar panels, as well as a setup with good elec and no added RoF, and I cannot power even without a charger.

That's not true... on my lvl 500 Gunner Dread I perma power 2x Calcs with a Fire of Gods unbelievably.... It works really well actually!

On my lvl 1300 gunner Dread I perma run 2x CALs or ACALs with a standard CR and 37 Solar Intakes. (Unless I'm near a dark sun). But a standard vis - high vis gal and I am fine. 37 Solar Intakes FTW!

I will write a full dedicated Gunner guide based on what I have just gone through with my 2 alts as soon as I get some time.

But so far I have levelled 3 alts from lvl 100 to lvl 1300 as a gunner. You need access to a Healer in my opinion to be a useful end game gunner.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

There is a problem, Tarik. Most what you say is true, but when this guide was written, there was a number of things that wasn't out.

For example:
The energies did not calculate per second. It was in 1.2 second chunks. Because of that, you really couldn't power CAL's or ACAL's.

Also, you can use a gunner without a healer. Gunner can attain a range greater than a sniper and AI don't have gravity disrupter's. Push and fire, push and fire.

And if you need a shm while fighting one lone SD, you're doing something wrong. A Gunner is a beast at PvP if you actually know how to use it.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm
Main: Scybot 010
Level: 5469

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
The energies did not calculate per second. It was in 1.2 second chunks. Because of that, you really couldn't power CAL's or ACAL's.

Energies did not get beefed, the display just changed.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
And if you need a shm while fighting one lone SD, you're doing something wrong. A Gunner is a beast at PvP if you actually know how to use it.

SDs tend to have ridiculous mining resists and it's hard to hit a SD with missiles. Also endgame SDs hurt.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Leo and Stooch have Dread gunners that make SD's stay far away. Could it be that the panther is the Endgame SD's ship of choice, and noone besides you use a DS+ for PvP, and thats why they get slapped silly. They are stubborn.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: Bartimaeus
Level: 2883

Location: Behind your mother, giving her 10 inches of flavour
Its not stubborn its the best choise for hiding running burst dps etc, DS+ is balanced but doesnt have the attributes that make panther popular.
Btw, best EFF gunner setup for CALCs and missiles to powerlevel in today's world, anyone?
~pr0m

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 pm
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3332

What I find funny is, is that I posted this whenI was level 645... Go figure.

Time Warp

/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:23 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: Bartimaeus
Level: 2883

Location: Behind your mother, giving her 10 inches of flavour
Oh, how the mighty have leveled.
~pr0m

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3332

andezrhode2 wrote:
Oh, how the mighty have leveled.?
~pr0m

Leaching xp off a poor gunner killing platties and MF reavers.

Time Warp

/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:47 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

Tarik wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:

1: In a cap ship, do not expect to power. You cannot. I have a lion heart and lots of solar panels, as well as a setup with good elec and no added RoF, and I cannot power even without a charger.

That's not true... on my lvl 500 Gunner Dread I perma power 2x Calcs with a Fire of Gods unbelievably.... It works really well actually!

On my lvl 1300 gunner Dread I perma run 2x CALs or ACALs with a standard CR and 37 Solar Intakes. (Unless I'm near a dark sun). But a standard vis - high vis gal and I am fine. 37 Solar Intakes FTW!

I will write a full dedicated Gunner guide based on what I have just gone through with my 2 alts as soon as I get some time.

But so far I have levelled 3 alts from lvl 100 to lvl 1300 as a gunner. You need access to a Healer in my opinion to be a useful end game gunner.

It's very possible to run your dread or EFBC with no panels at all. I can't quite permafire my ACALS, but I can fire them and missiles together for a long enough time to finish most DG levels and then be fully charged again by the time I finish scooping the loot. My PvP setup can generally power long enough to kill a couple ShMs and their Selens with no panels and then regen fairly quickly afterwards, but remember that gunners are practically custom made to kill freighters, so that's not so challenging. SDs / Seers always fly away enough that my energy has time to regen while they're hiding. I have enough energy to kill a Zerker, assuming his massive dps doesn't kill me first. Anyhow, my point is that a setup that can almost power those ACALs but saves all the hull space from those 37 panels and can fight in any galaxy is much better for my playing style than one that can power ACALs indefinitely.

A healer isn't really necessary unless I'm doing UZ ubers or PvP against a high damage class like a zerker, but then they almost always have their own healer too, so it's a wash. I've heard of gunners soloing Prince without a monkey, but for the life of me I can't figure out how they do it unless it's just some combination of tweaks I haven't worked out yet.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Tue May 04, 2010 3:14 pm
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

Dorin Nube wrote:
Tarik wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:

It's very possible to run your dread or EFBC with no panels at all. I can't quite permafire my ACALS, but I can fire them and missiles together for a long enough time to finish most DG levels and then be fully charged again by the time I finish scooping the loot. My PvP setup can generally power long enough to kill a couple ShMs and their Selens with no panels and then regen fairly quickly afterwards, but remember that gunners are practically custom made to kill freighters, so that's not so challenging. SDs / Seers always fly away enough that my energy has time to regen while they're hiding. I have enough energy to kill a Zerker, assuming his massive dps doesn't kill me first. Anyhow, my point is that a setup that can almost power those ACALs but saves all the hull space from those 37 panels and can fight in any galaxy is much better for my playing style than one that can power ACALs indefinitely.

A healer isn't really necessary unless I'm doing UZ ubers or PvP against a high damage class like a zerker, but then they almost always have their own healer too, so it's a wash. I've heard of gunners soloing Prince without a monkey, but for the life of me I can't figure out how they do it unless it's just some combination of tweaks I haven't worked out yet.

I posted that pre-rebalance, everything I said is possibly wrong now.

Fri May 07, 2010 5:15 am