Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Jeff Bobbo
Level: 2700

Post Re: Gunner Guide
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Stooch wrote his guide back when missiles didn't exist...

Oh, that was about? Ermm that was my third uni they got added... I withdraw what I said about the guide. But I stand by what I said for the lion.

JeffL wrote:
Are you kidding me? Our C2 music is way better than that boring garbage you linked.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Aidelon
Main: Tobold Lygo
Level: 2200

Glad to hear it works for you :) however, seeing as many MF reavers go well over 100 and Ive seen some going around 200, I must say that speed is of utmost importance when it comes to kiting stuff. I am not sure how, with slow missile speed, one would want to play as gunner NOT kiting stuff, but for me, personally, only kiting works. If you manage to sustain great DPS with missiles NOT kiting, kudos.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 am

BlueskiN4 wrote:
Glad to hear it works for you :) however, seeing as many MF reavers go well over 100 and Ive seen some going around 200, I must say that speed is of utmost importance when it comes to kiting stuff. I am not sure how, with slow missile speed, one would want to play as gunner NOT kiting stuff, but for me, personally, only kiting works. If you manage to sustain great DPS with missiles NOT kiting, kudos.

Neh. There are techniques for kiting when your target is faster sometimes. So yeah :P if done right a Rosmarinus without missiles can work well... So I'm gueasing a Lion with missiles could work well. :P

JeffL wrote:
Are you kidding me? Our C2 music is way better than that boring garbage you linked.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Red Faction
Main: Paladin's Presence
Level: 3937

Lion could work, i have a setup in mind and im considering trying it however what you fail to realise is what you could do with a lion you can do 100x better and alot cheaper in a juju because of its obvious advantages.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:40 pm

shawn_mccall wrote:
Lion could work, i have a setup in mind and im considering trying it however what you fail to realise is what you could do with a lion you can do 100x better and alot cheaper in a juju because of its obvious advantages.

You remember my Rosmarinus right? That, in a lion with missiles. =P

JeffL wrote:

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Team: Traders
Main: your mother and i
Level: 3336

remember the sexy holy ward ppl.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:41 pm
Team: Electric Sheep
Main: Rogue Amoeba
Level: 2591

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Stooch wrote his guide back when missiles didn't exist...

Wrong. Missiles had existed for quite a while when he wrote that post.
They just weren't that useful back then (pre-rebalance)

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:06 am
Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: F.E.A.R
Level: 1790

Dread with Gunner Mast, Zeus +

Capital Crystalline Reserve
Giga GNT or something
tonnes of missile launchers and missiles
2 cap lasers
Kikale Expander
UL

stuff gets blown up! ;)

You can't bring us down, We're the best in town.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:25 am

ClinicallyInsane wrote:
Dread with Gunner Mast, Zeus +

Capital Crystalline Reserve
Giga GNT or something
tonnes of missile launchers and missiles
2 cap lasers
Kikale Expander
UL

stuff gets blown up! ;)

I has a better setup than Gmast Z+. :P

JeffL wrote:

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:26 am
Profile WWW

Gunner Guide

Leveling:

0<200
Level 200 (-ish) and below are kinda hard to level as a gunner I believe, as there aren't many skill points to spend on required skills. I suggest you play as a different class to level.

200+

Level 200 and above is much better, if you have a Shield Monkey at your hand then it's even easier. If you have a shield monkey, I recomend getting a capship, EFF or EFD and some slaves (EFF's are cheap, I would go with them) then get yourself a good energybank and a bank shield like a DeadStop, for the energybank I recomend a Nuclear Steam Power if it's got enough regen that you need it for. Nuclear Steam Power is T11 and fairly cheap, it runs off Baobabs and has a +50% Shield Bank boost on it, overall a nice energy. Using this with a deadstop high shields is easy. Then get missile mastery up and get some Small AP Mk III factories or the crates. With two EFF slaves and an EFF/D command ship you can easiy take Rosmaries and Basils easily. If you can afford it, purchase some Mining Laser Supremes as they give a +5% mining vulnerablility, these can be nice but may be hard to power at a low level.

Without a Shield Monkey I have never really tried; but some thoughts have come to mind of using a simple Adonis base with just a healer on it. And placing it in a random galaxy where Basils and Rosmaries commonly pass to level easily. Another thought would be to use either an LF or HF setup, using missiles again and dodging the shots from your targets. Rosmaries are generally a good AI to level off as their Love Cycilinder doesn't have alot of tracking or range, I wouldn't recomend Basils due to their laser has high range, nice damage and the speed debuff.

500+ (ish)

I'd personally recomend getting a Dreadnought quickly, the power you can get is very nice. Although remember you can squeeze the same DPS out of an EFBC. If capital ships don't float your boat, I'd recomend an Equanminizer, Rosmarinus or Zebra if you can afford it, I personally prefer the Rosmarinus although anyone who knew what I done with it would know mine was usless for leveling. Using a Dreadnought the main problem I found was small hull. I recomend slapping a Sup. Combined Augmenter onto it, or maybe even a Spacy one. Again with my Dreadnought I use my shield monkey. A nice bank shield like a GhoulStop works very nice. As for HF I did have an Equanminizer which, I personally didn't like. It was short on hull and weapon slots, never-the-less, a simple Hera, Gunner Mastery and Zeus aug combination was very effective. Using a pair of Excomms and missiles it was easy to take out AI in Pspace as the most common was Big Greens and Forgones, which use nice slow Titan Pulses. I rarely used my ShM with my Izer when I used it because it went around 50 speed faster. The only things I strugled against was the Vultures as I had a low shield bank (and I got one shot by a missile once; I changed shields after that) and they have nice mining resists (70%?) of course now going to Pspace solo is rather reckless.

Notes:

The main thing I believe is to get your Missile Mastery skill up first. Then your Destruction skill, the Destruction skill will boost your missile damage alot. So it's important. Also don't neglect your tractor skills, they can he usful for pulling in missiles, and pushing missiles into your targets, or pulling your targets into your missiles. If you find a DG with 4 or so platties in, and get a friend to clear one every 5 mins ish, it can be very nice as in a capship, you can kill a platty with taking almost no damage using a special technique of getting the tip or your ship on the AI, using this with Acme Combat Drones for heals after the kills, I've never tried it with acmes but it's worth mentioning.

Another thing is always carry Flare guns! (sold in Shadow AI base) Missiles are very, very stupid and have bad radars, if they can't see their target the missile may fly off (flies to the middile of the galaxy I believe)  this can be most annoying when killing AI like Panthers. So flare your stealth targets before launching missiles.

You can't launch missiles if you are closer than around 50 distance from your target, so don't get right on your target, as this just won't work, the best way is to kite around 100 distance in front of your target , as you can just spam missiles away, if the targets ship is a bit faster, you can fly infront, and then move to the side as your target gets close, this means it'll turn and loose distance (if you turn faster), end result is you should kill it quickly (ish). I personally use this when doing Anaconda cause of his tractor.

PvP

I haven't PvP'ed alot of my gunner, but I have done some, without my monkey, and the main thing I would have to say is, don't neglect your traveling field. I frequently use mine in PvP to ge infront of targets, or get out of the way of licins. Also, don't neglect your tractor skills and high damage weapons. Missiles can be a pain if you mess up timing against a Seer, and Speed Demons, unless stupid, go too fast for missiles to do anything. The only real time a missile is useful against a speed demon is if they fly over you, meaning instant hit.

I got a bit bored, have fun.

JeffL wrote:

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: F.E.A.R
Level: 1790

But i can missile spam you more and win!

You can't bring us down, We're the best in town.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:54 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Abbara
Level: 6776

Stooch wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:
I'm no professional, but I really don't see how you can power two capital lasers, missiles and a shield / shield charger on an electric regen setup like MZ lighting or even FotG. Even with the elec tempering from gunner augs, and help with efficiency from an OS 5, it's just too much. With lots of panels it might work, as long as you are fighting in a well-lit area.

May I just say, I use a standard CR on a Sup Resist Caly Dread with 37 Solar Intakes and I can power everything, including:

2 CAL's
Ungodly Lust / Tharak's Denial
Giga Sponge Charger
5 Unholy Claymores
3 Armada Charge Drones

The only time I start to lose elec is when I am soloing Rhinos or Knight and my shield drops too low... even then if I simply only tractor the ai as they pass over the top of me momentarily, then this is enough to turn the ai around for another pass. This uses less than half the elec that the UL would normally use. So in effect I am completely elec stable.

I find the sup resist increadibly useful in soloing content and with a OS GnT I have nearly 200k shields and my CR gives me nearly 400k energy.

Hiding behind even the smallest gates helps keep some of the torpedoes and cannons off you if you get your angles right too... even behind that tiny gate in mini Rhino...

I've only been a gunner for 2 weeks, so I still haven't worked out if/how to solo Baron and his guards... I find getting my missiles to hit Panthers, even with Tractor, a bit touch and go...

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:33 am

Tarik wrote:
Stooch wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:
I'm no professional, but I really don't see how you can power two capital lasers, missiles and a shield / shield charger on an electric regen setup like MZ lighting or even FotG. Even with the elec tempering from gunner augs, and help with efficiency from an OS 5, it's just too much. With lots of panels it might work, as long as you are fighting in a well-lit area.

May I just say, I use a standard CR on a Sup Resist Caly Dread with 37 Solar Intakes and I can power everything, including:

2 CAL's
Ungodly Lust / Tharak's Denial
Giga Sponge Charger
5 Unholy Claymores
3 Armada Charge Drones

The only time I start to lose elec is when I am soloing Rhinos or Knight and my shield drops too low... even then if I simply only tractor the ai as they pass over the top of me momentarily, then this is enough to turn the ai around for another pass. This uses less than half the elec that the UL would normally use. So in effect I am completely elec stable.

I find the sup resist increadibly useful in soloing content and with a OS GnT I have nearly 200k shields and my CR gives me nearly 400k energy.

Hiding behind even the smallest gates helps keep some of the torpedoes and cannons off you if you get your angles right too... even behind that tiny gate in mini Rhino...

I've only been a gunner for 2 weeks, so I still haven't worked out if/how to solo Baron and his guards... I find getting my missiles to hit Panthers, even with Tractor, a bit touch and go...

How'd you get 200k with sup resist/caly? What's the bank on OSGnT o.o

And, the capship CR, should give you 550k bank. Although you are quiet right, I'm running a bank setup with my monkey, and I'm starting to feel resist is better. As for Baron, he can be bitch because the missiles fly away, and it may not be in your best interest to start dropping charge drones in there... Energies vollies are a must, and flaring can help, but not much. Usually I wait for the panther to get like 70 distance from me? Blast it with the CALPs and launch off 3 missiles, that usually kills it, or gets it very low. As for Baron, two/three swipes like that will finish her off.

Are you running any slaves?

JeffL wrote:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Profile WWW
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Abbara
Level: 6776

I have amplified and resonating gear... Normal bank with OS GnT is about 151k...

I might just stick to Knight, Rhinos, Lions and Prince for now... I have 2 EFBCs (2x Exc Resist) but dont have any Broadsword IVs, and as I am only staying Gunner until I am lvl 1050 (currently 815) there is little point in investing in them further... though when I reset to healer I will of course use slaves in certain circumstances, though these will likely be Selens.

I currently run with 5 Unholy Claymores, another 3 - 5 would be ideal, but they pump out missles at a nice rate atm... I solo without a healer, all the above content and currently only have destruction skill at level 5.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:36 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

Tarik wrote:
I have amplified and resonating gear... Normal bank with OS GnT is about 151k...

I might just stick to Knight, Rhinos, Lions and Prince for now... I have 2 EFBCs (2x Exc Resist) but dont have any Broadsword IVs, and as I am only staying Gunner until I am lvl 1050 (currently 815) there is little point in investing in them further... though when I reset to healer I will of course use slaves in certain circumstances, though these will likely be Selens.

I currently run with 5 Unholy Claymores, another 3 - 5 would be ideal, but they pump out missles at a nice rate atm... I solo without a healer, all the above content and currently only have destruction skill at level 5.

Got to give credit where it's due. That's seriously uber. I don't understand how it can work with only resist augs, but I guess that's why I'm not uber :lol:

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:15 am