Main: Assassinat3r
Level: 2460

Post Connecting to C2 - an In-depth Guide
So my team mate needed help connecting to the C2 server. I decided to go the extra mile and write a guide for them!

Since I bothered writing a guide for it, I thought I might as well share it with the rest of the community - with a few minor alterations. I hope you guys find this useful and informative!

Connecting to C2 is a very tricky procedure, it is mentally taxing and requires a good deal of physical endurance.

First of, if you want to connect to C2, make sure you're properly prepared, trying to connect to C2 without the necessary equipment can give one quite the headache and the risk involved is large as well. You wouldn't want to spend all that time for nothing, right?

So, to prepare, make sure you actually have C2! C2 stands for the second version of the Star Sonata client, do note that C2 and C1 are very different things, although they are both Star Sonata clients they host vastly different internal structures. C1 is also redundant, that means it will no longer be able to run on any SS server besides private admin / dev servers that sadly aren't available to the public.

Thankfully there is a very easy way to test which version of the Star Sonata client you have, look at the name. If it's "Star Sonata", then it's C1. If it's "Star Sonata 2", it's C2! Phew, glad we got that over with! Next up, assuming you don't have C2, you have to download it.

This is very important because it's what you're going to play the game with, it'll provide the GUI, interface, pretty much everything minus the server. To get C2 you just need to follow this link: Star Sonata 2. Please note that it is a relatively large download size, if you have a slow connection (dial-up), it may take a few hours or even days to download. There's no way to avoid this, so make sure you have an adequate amount of time on the computer to oversee the download process.

Once the download has finshed, double check that you actually downloaded C2 and do a virus scan for good measure, it doesn't always hurt to be safe. Now install it, this involves either double-clicking the C2 installer file, or right-clicking it and choosing open. If all goes well, the client should install successfully, we'll assume it did; I hope it did! Now for the juiciest part of all, and most likely the hardest, connecting to the server!

But first, let's take an in-depth overview of the login interface. In the login screen there are two main fields, these are the username and password respectively. In the username field, you have to type in your username, this is the username you should have chosen for your Star Sonata account (not any other account, e.g. your favourite site's username won't work - unless it's also your Star Sonata username). The password is pretty much the same, except it takes your password instead of the username, obviously! If you haven't registered already, just click on the "Register now" button, it will guide you through the steps on registering. Ahah, but what if registering isn't working for you!? That's because you're not connecting to the right server!

To actually connect to the right server, you have to edit the "Server:" field, that should be below your password. Now, if you're one of those people who downloaded the C2 Beta client, you should be seeing "beta.starsonata.com" as the server address. If not, don't worry, that means you downloaded the latest client instead, so it won't have to update! Huzzah! That also means you've already got the right server info, so this really doesn't apply to you. But this does apply to beta client users! Firstly, you must click inside the field, navigate your mouse cursor until it's over the field and left-click on it, this should select, and allow you to edit the information inside.

That was just a test however, to make sure your mouse was working / you have greater hand-eye co-ordination than a tree. If you don't, I'm stumped and can't help you, sorry. If you can, well, this time - and this may be a bit advanced for most people, but you can do it easily with practice - hold down the left mouse button while your cursor is on the right of the letter "a" in "beta", next, drag it just to the left of the "b" in "beta", now, let go of the mouse button but don't click anything! Type in, exactly as typed, "liberty". If done right, "beta.starsonata.com" should now read "liberty.starsonata.com". Congrats, you can now connect to the official Star Sonata server! (I hope)

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:40 am
Team: Eternity
Main: Assassin's Sniper
Level: 4011

Post Re: Connecting to C2 - an In-depth Guide
Big pictures! Makes me want to read less!

+1 Internets

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:37 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

Post Re: Connecting to C2 - an In-depth Guide
your team mate must be very special.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:12 am