Team: Aidelon
Main: Diabolus
Level: 2300

Location: Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, Milky way, Universe, Admins computer
Post Why should I go p2p? A quick list.
Explained clearly and quickly.

http://aidelon.net/f2pp2p/

Big thanks to Teh Haxzorz for making this list, by the way. I'm just posting it here so everybody can see :)

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:54 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Post Re: Why should I go p2p? A quick list.
Skill restrictions: Equipment needs changed. Also, I'd like to see it mentioned why you can't train skills above that (can't enter peril).

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Thanks for this info. I find it ironic that nowhere on the official webpage can you find this basic info. You would think the devs would want to make it easy and clear to people why they should pay, and what they get when they pay. That would bring in more revenue, allow them to spend more time on the game, and then make the game better. Seems like a virtuous cycle they would want to support.

Couple questions though on the list you made.

What is really the benefits of wild space and perilous. Just pvp ability?

Overall it seems there is no reason to pay until you hit the level or skill caps. Is there any reason to go p2p before this really?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Wild space is where all the good galaxies are for building. You won't get valuable commodities in Celestial Garden and it's quite hard to make viable colonies there as well. Since a good colony can make 400-500m per day, that's a lot of money you are foregoing.

Perilous space (and the Serengeti zone which you also can't enter, I think) are where endgame content resides. If you are content flying around in a T18-19 ship with crappy gear, then f2p is for you. If you actually want to dominate the game using the extremely powerful T20-21 gear, you need to go p2p. Incidentally, a lot of that gear requires a good production base to make, which is another reason why Wild Space is so important for building.

On the other hand, I suppose there is no reason to subscribe immediately if you have found an efficient way to level up and improve your skills as f2p. I don't see someone getting much out of the game leveling all the way to 2000 without subscribing, though, since you can probably max all your skills by 1000. After that it would be much more efficient to get a T20 ship and level in Perilous Space.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:43 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Thanks, that helps to know.

I really like this game and have played it on and off the last few years. I feel like it has such potential but that the way they market and monetize it is, is basically a failure.

I've played a lot of f2p games and seen some really innovative ways of monetization. Would gladly do a write up if the devs are ever interested.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:31 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Teh Haxzorz
Level: 2443

Antilzah wrote:
Skill restrictions: Equipment needs changed. Also, I'd like to see it mentioned why you can't train skills above that (can't enter peril).

What should I change them to? I used the numbers you gave at this link.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:30 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I explained it badly. No. More like I didn't explain it at all. I assumed everyone knows you can get eq20 only in copper.

Equipment 20 is in copper. However, starting the mission requires equipment 19. I added east vindia (eq19) to point out the place where you can train equipment 19 as f2p. For some reason I also mentioned gargan (eq18) because it might be hard to get 40 trader badges for east vindia.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:58 pm