What the chat in Star Sonata is

Where you can find the chat

How to type a message

How to send private messages

How to use the different channels

What to do if you get muted

Useful tips and tricks for chatting

What is the chat in Star Sonata?

This is your galactic communicator. Use it to send and receive messages from other players who are piloting through the cosmos. Star Sonata has a tight-knit community and to many players chatting is an important part of the game. So let's get started with your chatting!

Where can I find the chat, and what does it consist of?

The chat is made up of a chat section, which you will find at the bottom left of your screen. Simply put, the chat section has different channels, and most of them are permanent in your client. You can find a detailed description of the different chats later in this guide.

How do I type a message?

Now let’s try to type something! Your active channel will always be highlighted. Press the Enter key or simply click the channel again, and your input field will be activated. Now you are ready to type your message in your active channel. Post it in the channel by pressing the Enter key.

Each time a new message is received it will appear at the bottom of the list and everything else will move up a spot. If you want to view messages that have already scrolled off the screen, just use the scroll bar at the right to scroll up or down.

If a new chat message appears in a chat that you aren’t active in, then the channel bar will change color.

How do I send private messages to other players?

As a new player, it can be really useful to know how to contact other players. You can do so by using the following chat command, which can be typed into any chat channel in the game, as long as you type it correctly.

/w Name Message + Enter key

So an example can be

/w Starboy02 Hey where did you buy that ship?

If the player has a space in his name, or the command fails, try the following

/w “Name with spaces” Message + Enter key

So an example of this will be

/w “The Great Starboy02” Hey where did you buy that ship?

And hopefully you have now sent your first successful private message. Private messages will appear in a new channel to the right of the standard chat channels, and can only be sent to players that are online.

How shall I use these different channels?

You will find a set of channels that always appear in your client. These are normally global channels, and global channels are moderated. There are also additional channels that you can enter, but they are not global, and will require a special condition to be entered. Below you will find a general explanation of the different chat channels.

Event chat is not a global or public chat, it is used as a communication between the server and you, and several of your actions will be recorded and posted here, and error messages may show up in this chat.

All chat - This is the main global channel for communication between players.

Trade chat - This is a global channel for trade related messages, such as buying and selling advertisements.

Help chat - This is a global channel for help on gameplay and general discussion for new players.

Galaxy chat - This is a global channel that applies to the galaxy that you are in. Only people in the same galaxy as you can use this channel, and you can use the channel for what you wish. Sometimes AI in the game will talk in galaxy chat as well.

Note: Any message posted in the galaxy chat field will also appear over your ship in the galaxy you are in.

Squad chat - This is a non-global channel that will only apply to you and the people you are in a squad with. You can create a squad by using the command /squadcreate and invite people with /squadinvite PlayerName

Team chat - This is a non-global channel that will only apply to you and any players on the same team as you.

Private messages - This is a non-global channel that will only apply to you and the player you have the private message with.

There are chat rules that apply to all chatting, and it is strongly recommended that you read through the rules before you start chatting actively. The rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51771

I just got a mute, what now?

Getting muted is not a serious offense. Mutes are normally handed out if you post chat messages in the wrong channel, or if you use the channels in an incorrect way. Simply go over the rules and see if you can figure out what you did wrong, and then you can chat as normal when the mute time is over. A mute will only apply to global channels, so you can still chat in non-global channels if you are muted.

If you have any questions about the mute, send a in a support ticket at http://www.starsonata.com/support as the moderators don’t deal with support, and the support manager can only be reached through a support ticket.

Are there any useful tips and tricks for chatting?

Chatting isn’t only about communicating between players, but the chat section also has some very nifty and useful aspects, and a few of them are mentioned below.

In the Game Options (access by pressing O) you can change the transparency of the chat section, and you can turn the swear filter on and off.

When you have the chat input activated, you can use the Up Arrow key to toggle through all your previous messages, which can be useful if you wish to post the same message more than one time without having to type it all over again.

If you wish to cut, copy or paste in the chat, then you can do so in the activated input field.

If your chat section is clogged up with private message channels, you can simply right click any channel and choose which channels to hide. You can also open up any hidden channels by doing this.

There are several useful chat commands, which can be typed into any chat channel as long as you type the correctly. Type in the chat command /help to get a full list of all available chat commands!

/help - Will give you a list of all the chat commands

/search GalaxyName - Will search the map for the galaxy name you type in. Make sure to include capital letters.

/mc ItemName - Will do a market check for the item name you type in. You will get a list of places where you can buy or sell said item, and for what prices.

/ap GalaxyName - If you have the skill Astral Travel, this will let you autopilot to the galaxy name you type in.

/ignore Name - Will add the named player to your ignore list. Any messages sent by a player on your ignore list will be filtered out. Note that quotation marks are not needed for names with spaces here.

/unignore Name - Will remove the named player from your ignore list. Note that quotation marks are not needed for names with spaces here.

/list - Will show you a list of players currently on your ignore list.

/lockout - Will show you a list of any galaxies that you are temporary locked out of due to killing an uber or a boss

By now you should be fully prepared for chatting with the rest of the player base, and hopefully this guide has provided the needed amount of useful information to teach you everything you need to know about chatting!

Last edited by Dark Brotherhood on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 am
Main: None
Level: 0

Post Re: Thermal's Chat Tutorial
Grammar Nazis engage :wink:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Replace "under" with "below"

/f doesn't work anymore to manage friends; it forces a reload of the client.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks enkelin. I will upload pictures soon and make it all pretty for Bageese. Any comments on organisation, or any other aspects I might have forgotten?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:30 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: Diabolus
Level: 2300

Location: Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, Milky way, Universe, Admins computer
I'd redo the screenies.

Having a tutorial with a guy talking about a foot fetish isn't exactly something good to have in there.

Not saying the tutorial isn't well done! Just saying that the chat content is a bit.. Weird.

Also, I don't think the /f add commands work anymore. anything with /f in front of it will just reload everything form the server. Everything with friends in now done in the group box, where squad/team is.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:40 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

yes its bad taste to have rape in screenies

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

In case I wasn't clear, /f add and /f remove don't work anymore.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

I like how CSE was intentionally looking for a mute :D

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 pm

basebot wrote:
I'd redo the screenies.

Having a tutorial with a guy talking about a foot fetish isn't exactly something good to have in there.

Not saying the tutorial isn't well done! Just saying that the chat content is a bit.. Weird.

Also, I don't think the /f add commands work anymore. anything with /f in front of it will just reload everything form the server. Everything with friends in now done in the group box, where squad/team is.

Yeah, will do. I sat in the chat and watched Lazerus go on and on about it for 15 minutes, until I gave up. Next time I log on to redo the screenshots I hope you guys will act nicely, or I will simply log on test server and have my 5 accounts talking in the chats :lol:

And thanks, I will properly clear up the /f now.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm
Team: White Star
Main: xXxIrishKnightxXx
Level: 20

Just a heads up, point out that the help channel cannot be accessed after a certain amount of time has passed or the person in question in a greeter.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 pm
Main: Septagons Titan
Level: 2312

IrishKnight wrote:
Just a heads up, point out that the help channel cannot be accessed after a certain amount of time has passed or the person in question in a greeter.

Don't bother. I tried posting there on one of my fresh made accounts over a period of two days and there were 0 replies.

Help chat is broken.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Comandor_J
Level: 7494

Look organized and clean. You should add the hit enter and arrow up and arrow down keys for toggling same messages function, really handy for when doing AP travel to really annoying named systems. My guess you would list it under chat commands maybe?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:40 pm