Main: flo02
Level: 2631

Post Tutorial - How to build your own space station!
Well hello there new cadet/buccaneer! So you want to build your own base?
[Newbie]: Yes! But how??

Don't worry, I will guide you trough!

Requirements.
The very first thing you require for building a space station is the skill Station Management. I advice you to have at least level 1 in Station Management, so that your base can fend off pirate AI. Pirate AI attack anyone who they think they are less powerful than their selves. Think of all those Flyswatters that annoy you!

The other basic requirements are:
    Weaponry level 1
    Shielding level 1
    Electric Engineering level 1
    Radar level 1
    Equipment level 1

[Newbie]: Where can I see my skills?
If you don't know what skills you have, press F9. This will pop up your character information.
But we won't be needing this screen, click on the [Skill] tab to open up your skill list.

Ahh very good! Now as you can see, I am a little bit ahead of you in skills, but don't worry. If you know how to build a tech level 1 base, then you know how to build a tech level 16 base! Same procedure, except the higher techs require more resources and credits.

Planning the location
If you want a base that is able to extract commodities from a planet or moon, you need a slightly different base.

[Newbie]: How can I tell what commodities are inside a planet?
Well, there is a very handy tool called a Planetscanner! You can buy it from any AI base. Check the Equipment tab Image and scroll down untill you find the item Planetscanner.
If you have purchased it, it will appear in your inventory list (press I to open your inventory).
Equip the planetscanner, and drag it to your hotkey bar(hold LMB, move the item)

If you did it correctly, the hotkey's image will turn orange like this Image.

The bar below the cube represents the recharge rate of the planet scanner. Every time you use the planet scanner, it has to regenerate before you can use it again.

Time to scan a planet/moon!
I scanned both planet and moon, the results are given in the Event chat screen.
Keep in mind that planet scanners have a maximum range, so in order to scan a planet or moon, you need to be in range. If you don't know how much range your planet scanner has, hold your mouse pointer over the item in your inventory screen.

[Newbie]: Gravity, Blistering, Gaseous. What's that?
These indicate the current atmospheric conditions of the scanned planet. Moons have no atmosphere so they will not show this information.
If you want to build colonies, then this information will be vital for you.
Need to know more about colonies? Check out the "How to build a colony tutorial" in the tutorial section!!

Lets continue constructing bases!

[Newbie]: Little of this, a bit of that...eh?
It indicates the amount of extractors you can equip on the base. The resources are infinite, but the amount of extractor slots are limited to a set amount.

Here is a list of how many extractors you can equip with the amount of resources on a planet.

[Newbie]: The moon has more stuff in it! I will build on that, but how do I build?

"Dropping" the kit
Now that you have got a location for your future base, the necessary information from the planet/moon, it's time to actually construct a base!

Dock at any AI station and open up the Trade tab. After that, you will be needing this section of trade Image

The following items will be needed for building:
    Attached Station Kit
    Station Tech Upgrade
    Arcadian Energybank Blueprint
    Arcadian Laser Blueprint
    Arcadian Base Radar Blueprint
    Arcadian Protector Blueprint
    Arcadian Shield Capacitor Blueprint
    Extensor Blueprint

Don't get confused with "Station Kit" and "Attached Station Kit"
Non-attached Station Kit can only be built in open space.
Attached Station Kit can only be built on a moon/planet.

If you got those items, go to the Commodity trade tab Image and buy
    Workers x 10
    Rations x 10

Now that you are filled with stuff, it's time to put that kit on the planet/moon!

Slowly navigate near the planet (moon in this case), like this. You will have to target the planet/moon which you want to build on.
If you are too far from the planet, you won't be able to place the kit on the planet/moon.

If you are in range, double click (or use the hotkey incase you have assigned the kit to a hotkey) the attached kit, if it succeeded, you will see your own station kit!

Dock at your shining new base!
You will see the same screen as in other bases, except 3 tabs are added to it.

Inside your new base
The trade tab is missing! Don't panic. We will discuss that later

The Control tab.
This is a sort of options menu for your base.
In here you can:
    Change the name of the base
    Add a trade good
    Set a description
    Make the base a team base
    Transfer money from and to the base
Displayed info
Base credits: Amount of credits in the base.
Shiels: Current shieldbank versus Total shieldbank.
Juice: Current energybank versus Total energybank.
Tech: Tech level of the base.
Workforce: Amount of workers that are busy versus Total workforce
Internal hullspace: Used hullspace versus Total hullspace

The Items tab.
This will be your base inventory, like in your ship!

Remember those items I asked you to buy? Blueprints and stuff?
Transfer them to the base, right-click them and press transfer to base.
You can hold shift or control and select multiple items at the same time! This will save you some effort.

NOTE: As soon as workers are placed in a Userbase, they ask for Rations. Without Rations, they will go on strike, meaning that nothing will and can't be equiped in the base unless you feed them with Rations. Workers eat rations per hour, the rate is:

Workers * 0.6 = Rations/hour

Now that those items are in the base, double click the Station Tech Upgrade. This will upgrade your base tech from level 0 to level 1, which allows you to use tech 1 equipment in the base. Now equip the other blueprints by double clicking them.

The Construction tab.
In here, you will find all the blueprints you have added to your station, and constructions that are in progress.
All stations are equipped with the following blueprints: Trading Bay, Station Expansion Unit.
If you did it correctly, the Arcadian blueprints are shown below.

NOTE: To determine the duration of a build you do the following: (Manhours * 10) = amount of seconds.
(Amount of seconds / (Total workforce - Used workforce) = build time in sec
To calculate build time in minutes, hours, days, you replace "amount of seconds" with:

Amount of minutes = (Amount of seconds / 60)
Amount of hours = (Amount of minutes / 60)
Amount of days = (Amount of hours / 24)

Lets return to the Control tab.
Press the "Transfer money to base" button, and put, lets say, 1 million credits in the base. This will be necessary for constructing items.

Now it's time to construct something! Go to the Construction tab and check what a Station Expansion Unit will require.

[Newbie]: 30 Metals, that isn't so hard.

Construct a Station Expansion Unit, and if it is finished, equip it. This will increase the hull space in your base.

Now that you have extra hull space, go to the Construction tab and check what a Station Extensor requires.

If it is finished, equip it. You will get a lot more hull than a station expansion unit.

Now that you have more hull, buy around 50 rations to keep the rations stocked.
If your planet/moon contains metals, check the list above, the one that stated how many extractors you could fit with the amount of resources.

Buy the # of extractors, and equip them on your base. If you can't equip more, check the Event chat, it will tell you whether you have reached the maximum extractor slots or you have insufficient amount of workers left. The second one can be fixed very fast by adding more workers to the base.

After equipping the metal drills, metals start to appear in your base! It's time to build another Station Extensor. Gather the materials, manually (by buying them from AI stations) or by waiting until your base gathered 100 metals.

With the 2 station extensors and the expansion unit, you have boosted your base hullspace to 750! But you will be needing another 3 before you can actually build the arcadian gear! Build 3 more extensors to boost your hullspace.

If you want to speed up the construction, add extra workers! Don't forget the rations though!!

By now, the base should look a bit like this.
Image.

Now that your base has hullspace, its time to work on its defenses.
Always build/equip energybank first, after that, the shield comes, then radar, weapons, charger/capacitor.

Be aware that Arcadian, Apollo, Ares, Adonis and higher base gear are very large in size, always have plenty of hull space to support the gear, Arcadian gear being 100 size per piece! Don't forget the extensors!

After constructing the Laser, radar, shield capacitor, protector, you are pretty much done! Add a hestia aug or 2 to increase the shield and energy bank for longer endurance versus AI.

[Newbie]: But how do I get the trade tab back?
All you need to do is, construct a Trading Bay and equip it! If you want to add items to the trading bay, you go to the Control tab, and press "Add Trade Goods".
Type in the search field the desired item and double click it. The following screen will appear.
After setting the prices etc, press OK and the goods will appear on your trade bay!

Continue experimenting with bases, augmenter setups, making money, leveling up! Because in the future, you might be the owner of these kind of bases!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am

Post Re: Tutorial - How to build your own space station!
floflo02 wrote:
Always build/equip energybank first, after that, the shield comes, then radar, weapons, charger/capacitor.

Explain. I always do Charger > Radar > Weapons > Shields > Capacitor > Energy

Off Topic: If I look at your avatar, and then start to read, everything feels aggressive...

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

and none of those will work until uve equipped the energy :roll:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
and none of those will work until uve equipped the energy :roll:

thats why energy first!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:39 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Capacitor works if you have outside heals. I usually do that first.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 pm

so you expect noobs having team heal kits/drones etc, you gotta look at the game from a perspective of 0 knowledge. i used a friend of mine to look trough that perspective.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

No no, I agree with your order for noobs.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

anilv wrote:
Capacitor works if you have outside heals. I usually do that first.

no need to one-up a guide for noobs :wink: hehe

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm
Profile WWW

this tutorial will get fused with darkphantoms tut, gotta fix that shiz before uni reset!

so be patient!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:34 pm
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Job well done. Nice work on combining some of the scattered info on the wiki into a nicer package along with some useful pics.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 am