Main: The_Ultimatum
Level: 4307

Post WIP-Colony guide
I’m going to assume since you are looking to build colonies you are already familiar with bases, if not read the Bases Guide and have a play around with station kits first.

Colonies:
So you have started building and wonder how to create your own profitable empire.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... o889/5.png
^ a example of a colony

Skills:
First off you will want to get:

Colonial Administration:
This is a skill at Fm that increases your colonies suitability (see suitability to see what that is) the higher you can get this skill the higher suitability the colony will initially get.

Station management:
Well you need to lay the kit right?(higher level more kits you can lay)

Core skills:
These aren’t too important generally you just need enough to equip basic gear if you’re not planning on defending the galaxy with the Ca kit

Also it is advised that you have at least 2 characters one as a Stm(see http://wiki2.starsonata.com/index.php/Trade_Skill for more info on trade skills ) to defend the galaxy and a Ca to build the colonies with.

Another character with Extraction Expert can be useful to extract commodities to sell a colony but isn’t necessary

Slaves:
You need to haul commodities with something right? Leviathans work well as a cheap slave auged 2 exc capacity with a shield with a large speed bonus, if you are doing few colonies or lower tech slaves can be used, you want one or however many it takes to sell the colony base enough for each commodity type apart from those which are made on the base.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... o889/2.png
the control tab on a colony^

Starting up a colony:
To start a colony you first need base on a planet
If you have other kits defending the galaxy then you can use any kit type from Tech6-20
Let’s say you have used a Tech6 station kit put some extensor Ys on enough for around 200-400k hull is generally enough with a ares shield capacitator so it doesn’t get popped by passing ai you can use capacity augs but personally i think they are just a waste, after this is done make sure you have a ration supply in the galaxy with a slave selling to the colony base(peasants need feeding or they eat each other and your population goes down!), generally you will need 500-1k every 2 hours for the colony itself not including the workers on the actual base.

Now you want a Colony blueprint which you can find at any Ai base at various techs needs to be installed and built. Any is suitable, additionally the blueprints can be re-used to get a higher starting population, this speeds up the process of growing.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... o889/6.png
^ a galaxy with multiple colonies with trade slaves working to ship commods

Ruins:
Some planets have ruins on them which are ancient remnants of civilisations, peasants are able to dig out some items for a cost =), these items appear over time and are extracted by adding them to your trading bay with a price over the cost listed on the colony page.
You can tell if a base has a colony when scanning it shall say in the scan report. (celest garden has No ruins or Rare commodities)

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... o889/3.png
^ a colony with a ruin on it, you can a the paxian item which will appear here eventually.

Suitability:
You want to find the highest suitability planets possible for your colony/s the table http://wiki2.starsonata.com/index.php/Suitability here shows the suitability of each type of planet,
You want to aim for the highest suitability possible (100-125%) as this will increase the overall maximum population the colony can have and increase the speed at which your colony grows.

Terraforming:
Just not got enough suitability? Don’t worry you can always terraform to add more suitability %, to terraform simply add said bp to the colony and add all its requirements and build for a full list of terraforming projects visit http://wiki2.starsonata.com/index.php/T ... Blueprints
Below are two projects that can be used on any colony so when scanning for good suitability planets keep in mind you can add 15% suitability to any planet fairly easily.
Orbital Habitats Planetary Blueprint
This adds a 10% suitability bonus to a colony and is bought from FM for 5m
50k Metal, 20k Silicon, 1k Portable Lavatory, 1k Gravity Controller is required for the build
Sensible Living Project Planetary Blueprint
This adds a 5% suitability bonus and is bought from east vindia
25k Funky Furniture, 10k Personal computers, 25k Metal, 50M credits and 25 Fabulous factory parts

Portable lavatorys , Gravity controllers Personal computers and other commods you may not recognise are made from factories but generally it is easier to buy said commodities if you are new to basing. Fabulous factory parts
are produced from a blueprint but are better to buy if you are new to basing as with most other commodities that other projects will require.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... o889/1.png
^a scan showing a colony planet with a terraforming project

Growing the colony:
After you have setup the colony you want to wait until it reaches over 3-4 billion population at which point it is profitable to sell it commodities

Colony Tick:
These occur each 2 hours Rl time which is a “colony year” each year the colony buys/sells you commodity’s and or items depending if it has a ruin.

Selling the colony commodities:
Your faithful peasants refuse to pay you tax’s so the next best thing is that you can sell them commodities these include:
Microchips:
You make these with microfabs which you can equip on your colony which take silicon, from ai bases and are T6
Nuclear waste,
Don’t even ask what they do with this
Crack Whores,
Peasants need something to do in their spare time =), made from a peasant and one silicon with a crack house(there are other factories to convert but Crack houses from any ai base, only cost 1 credit per to convert whereas others can cost far more)
Baobabs
Everyone needs a bit of wood,
Rations
Peasants need food! Better than letting them resort to cannibalism
Space oats
Generally one of the commodities low priced so doesn’t make a significant change to profit
Silicon
^see above description
Metals
^see above description
Promethium
Letting your peasants burn stuff! Remember this decays while it can make a nice profit be sure to limit it if you wish to sell it this.
Workers
Why should they build stuff when they can use workers! The cheapest way of making these is to use galactic training modules which take a peasant and a microchip(factory from serpica) although be cautious with this as making more workers will take more rations, while it can add a profit it can also cause more problems than they are worth. You need a very good ration source to consider making these.
If the planet already has a certain commodity the colony will pay Far less than ones without it as they can get it themselves.
Depending on the population the colony has the colony will buy certain amounts of each commodity you have. Generally anything from nothing to 40k each colony year/tick

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... o889/4.png
^ a colony in inventory tab showing the commodities

Trade Bays:
You’re probably going to want trade bays, while the colony may say its buying something at a high price it will buy more if you set a lower price, below are the templates I personally use for my colonies, enjoy
Colony
Initial
sellprice | buyprice | maxbuy | maxsell | maxmake | name
0 | 1 | 25000 | 0 | 30000 | Microchips
1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | Peasants
0 | 1 | 30000 | 0 | 30000 | Nuclear Waste
0 | 1 | 35000 | 0 | 35000 | Crack Whores
0 | 1 | 30000 | 0 | 30000 | Baobabs
0 | 0 | 100 | 0 | 500 | Space Oats
25 | 5 | 30000 | 5000 | 30000 | Rations
0 | 1 | 40000 | 0 | 40000 | Silicon

when grown
sellprice | buyprice | maxbuy | maxsell | maxmake | name
200 | 1 | 25000 | 0 | 30000 | Microchips
0 | 180 | 35000 | 0 | 0 | Peasants
450 | 1 | 25000 | 1000 | 25000 | Workers
600 | 1 | 25000 | 0 | 25000 | Nuclear Waste
800 | 1 | 35000 | 0 | 35000 | Crack Whores
600 | 1 | 30000 | 0 | 30000 | Baobabs
0 | 0 | 100 | 0 | 500 | Space Oats
25 | 5 | 30000 | 1000 | 30000 | Rations
0 | 1 | 40000 | 0 | 40000 | Silicon

These are copied into the base to add them, although make sure to edit if you are not going to sell workers/want to sell additional commodities.

Play around with your colony/s and find the perfect setup for you, a colony can generally make 300-500m -as its optimum daily income if it is grown and you are selling it commodities

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... dowsig.png

Last edited by potato8 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:38 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Post Re: WIP-Colony guide
:shock: Thanks, i might become a colony whore now :wink:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:24 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: XxFrostfangxX
Level: 3923

this was really,usefull i like it

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 pm
Main: The_Ultimatum
Level: 4307

updated, apparently my pics have more than 1000 pixals soo linked to them instead

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... dowsig.png

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:15 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Curse
Level: 5572

hmm i may build colonys now too!

derpy is best pony

most fun to play with wings ^_^

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

I read on the wiki that selling your growing base other things than peasants will slow its growth. Is this true? I started selling it some other stuff and its still buying all the peasants I give it, though perhaps I have not hit whatever internal max there is yet.

Also Ive read different assertions on how big you need to get your colony before it will start really taking off on its own. I've read everything from 250k people is all that needed up to 30 mil or even 1 bil before its own growth takes over in an efficient manner These are vastly different numbers. My current colony has a hab of 115% and will prob be 125% soon. What number of people you think I need to pump it to before its own growth really kicks in? Thanks.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appriciated

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:14 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

dreadlordnaf wrote:
I read on the wiki that selling your growing base other things than peasants will slow its growth. Is this true? I started selling it some other stuff and its still buying all the peasants I give it, though perhaps I have not hit whatever internal max there is yet.

Also Ive read different assertions on how big you need to get your colony before it will start really taking off on its own. I've read everything from 250k people is all that needed up to 30 mil or even 1 bil before its own growth takes over in an efficient manner These are vastly different numbers. My current colony has a hab of 115% and will prob be 125% soon. What number of people you think I need to pump it to before its own growth really kicks in? Thanks.

Selling things other than Peasants will not slow the growth; you just earn less profit per commodity until it reaches the billions. It's "less efficient" if you ask any big name colony builder.

As long as you don't take enough peasants from the colony in which it can't overcome with population increase, you can do that. Most people throw a more or less universal amount of peasants into a colony and let it grow from there. The number can be anything from 250k (small) to 3-5m (medium) or the massive starter colonies with 50m-250m (large).

On average it takes around (at least from my 3-5m pop cols went) 2 weeks after Terraforming and initial population to full bloom. You can get there faster with a bigger initial supply, though.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:32 pm

I notice you talk about having chars with station mastery so you can defend you bases, which means I assume you are talking about building in Wild. But I also notice your guide like many doesn't allude to what seems to be the main purpose of building colonies in Wild, to make use of the extra commods it can buy, like storm crystals, spice etc. Do you not usually deal in these? If not then it seems like there is little point to build colonies in Wild if you dont already have lots of territory there. There are so many CG places you can easily get to 100% with CA and way easier to defend and maintain too... Do colonies in Wild have some other implicit bonus that isnt obvious, like buying more commods in general, etc? Thanks.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:58 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

The reason players build in wild space: more and better commodities on planets. In wild space you can easily find planets with "loads" of silicon for example. A base with "loads" of silicon can be equipped with 65 - 128 extractors. If I recall correctly, "a lot" is the best in CG and those are rare (17 - 32 extractors per type can be equipped). So if you build in CG, you need A LOT of extraction kits for getting all the commods you need for your colonies. We're talking about a huge efficiency difference (even when counting slots you have to spend for defender kits in wild space). Wild space also has rare commods like copper or even stuff like adamantium. I've made hundreads of billions from selling these commods. Storm crystals and other stuff like that are very rare and as a default you won't get any.

Oh and another efficiency thing about CG: If you build a colony there, you need to max bases on that planet so no one else can build anything on your colony planet. Building in CG also requires more trade slaves because most likely your extraction bases will be further away from your colonies than they would in wild space. I only find a few reasons I would ever build in CG because it's so crap compared to wild space: 1) I am a pirate and I can't build safe in wild space. 2) I'm totally broke and I don't have any money for building defensive kits or proper defensive base gear. 3) I'm a new player and I want to test colonies before going into "real" space. 4) I'm "late" and all the good gals in wild space are already taken.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks thats helpful to know. Though I would add one more to your list of why to build in CG over wild: time and effort commitment. I would need to get my team organized and motivated to build at least 4-5+ Andas to lock down a place before even thinking about committing money to developing a colony in Wild. Then of course put more time into it on a daily basis to maintain that defense setup and be on guard for what other teams are doing, etc. With CG i can plop down one Adonis which is super easy to make and have my alt drop an attached magic drone to lock down the other base slots, and I am pretty much set from there on out. But I do see your point on the amount of resources and needing more trade slaves. Guess that is the tradeoff.

I have noticed a lot of the low DF areas in wild by each of the earthforce sanctuaries seem rather open and devoid of major teams, even though they have what appears to be lots of decent hab planets. Are these areas not as good for rares or are they somehow "protected" still by EF ai that prevents ownership? Or is there another reason they not being claimed?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:24 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

In Wild Space it's very important to have a contiguous territory with the rest of your team. Otherwise, you cannot prevent other teams from dropping kits of their own in your galaxies. Most teams who build in Wild Space go for the higher DF galaxies since these typically have more abundant resources (at least for the basic stuff like metals and silicon). That means that even if there are a few nice low-DF galaxies, they aren't available to be snagged by any of the major teams since we all built far away from them.

By the way, I was under the impression that Space Oats was a pretty rare commodity in CG. Has this changed? If not, that's another good reason why Wild Space colonies are better: you need rations to feed colonies!

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm

anilv wrote:
In Wild Space it's very important to have a contiguous territory with the rest of your team. Otherwise, you cannot prevent other teams from dropping kits of their own in your galaxies. Most teams who build in Wild Space go for the higher DF galaxies since these typically have more abundant resources (at least for the basic stuff like metals and silicon). That means that even if there are a few nice low-DF galaxies, they aren't available to be snagged by any of the major teams since we all built far away from them.

By the way, I was under the impression that Space Oats was a pretty rare commodity in CG. Has this changed? If not, that's another good reason why Wild Space colonies are better: you need rations to feed colonies!

If to compare this uni's CG with last, then yes I have noticed a considerable increase in oats in CG. Most all the planets i have now in CG have their own oats, and just 2 days ago, 1 month after reset I found a totally unoccupied planet normal/temperate/terrain with a bunch of oats. Was quite surprised... Though I swear up and down I use to occasionally find a planet with tin in CG, the only non-tier 1 commod you could find there. I have not seen one though this uni and Ive charted most of it. Maybe they changed some resource formulas around ...

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:50 pm
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

dreadlordnaf wrote:
Though I would add one more to your list of why to build in CG over wild: time and effort commitment.

In long term building in CG is much time and effort for low reward.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 pm