Main: CptCapitalism
Level: 69

Post Honest to Goodness Sniping Guide
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could point me to an actual Sniper guide. All of the "guides" that I've seen are essentially just telling me what the best end-game gear is. If anyone could show me (or better yet, make) a Sniper guide that actually tells me what kinds of weapons/ships/gear to go after, tactics, etc. that would be great. I'm a very low-level right now by comparison to most (79, don't laugh).

I understand that physical weapons are ideal for snipers, but there aren't any good one for lower levels. Alternatives would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aunvre.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:51 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

Post Re: Honest to Goodness Sniping Guide
I'm not really a sniper myself, but what I've seen from experience is that snipers below level 300-400 really struggle. You might find it easier to level up as a FC, ShM or Engineer and then switch to sniper when you hit the t19-20 gear.

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:56 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Sniper Low Level is a very different sniper than Sniper High Level. There is a severe lack of high damage weapons that have some semblance to range, tracking, and projectile speed. You also lack low vis shields/energies that would allow you to survive with more than 5k shields/200elect. And AI's either do one of the following:

- Burst damage: Ghostships, Blue Pirates, Slumberchromes, Nephils.

- Big tank: Slumberchromes, Basils, Blue Pirates.

- Grem/Parasites: Cleft Thorns, Pretty Boy/Girl, Basils.

Lower level snipers are encouraged to play like a Speed Demon rather than a "Sniper" in any form of the word, due to the fact you are squishy, lack damage, no range, and everything hurts way too much.

About level 400-500, you will start to change into a slower moving sniper in every sense of the word. But you will lack damage because T20 gear is way more powerful than better class skills. By 800, you'll have at least one subskill maxed with a second nearly there. This is when you'll pretty much be able to level on your own no sweat.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:30 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Xantra
Level: 2904

Pretty much as Max says. The lack of appropriate gear at low levels, combined with low levels in class skills makes most classes difficult to play the way you see them played at tech 20 and beyond.

Unless you're fleet commander or engineer, your best choice is the hotrod option. However, even if you're not fleet commander, don't underestimate the power that having a few combat slaves can bring.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:32 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I used a Hotrod+ with shield that gave +% speed and just killed stuff with various Magcannon type weapons. That got me from about 30 to 200.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:54 pm