Main: Scratty
Level: 5

Post Linux and SS2
Hey guys! I am sure there are some of you that do use Linux, and I decided to make this tutorial showing how to install/play StarSonata2 in Linux. First things first, the distro of Linux I am using is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Depending on your distribution the game may or may not run. (Most Likely it WILL run fine.)

Step 1: Installing Wine

The version which is most stable for games is wine 1.6. DO NOT download the wine package from the Ubuntu software center, it is older. To start, type in the following commands in a terminal...
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

This will add a new repo to ensure your wine download of 1.6. (Current).
Next, run the following commands...
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.6 ; sudo apt-get install winetricks

This will update, then install wine onto your LinuxBox. During the installation, screens may pop up asking to accept the agreement of terms, just hit TAB and press enter to accept them.
Once the installation is finished, type in the Terminal...
Code:
winecfg

This command will create a new ".wine" directory and also bring up the configuration. Usually everything to run World of Warcraft is ready to go, but to be safe click on all the tabs in the configuration box. (Example: Clicking on the Audio tab will automatically detect settings and ensure your sound works.)

Congratulations you have installed Wine 1.6!!

Step 2: Installing Star Sonata 2

First, download the installer from the website which is here: http://www.starsonata.com/page/download

Once the download is finished it should be placed into your Downloads folder. Open up a terminal and type in...
Code:
cd Downloads
wine starsonata*

Once the installer is running just follow the commands and everything should be ready to go!!

If you find any bugs, or errors please let me know.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Post Re: Linux and SS2
I've been meaning to write up a bash script to do all of this for linux/mac users, just haven't got around to it yet, doesn't help I don't have a test machine for mac and I don't have a vm for it.

I guess I could do it for Ubuntu/Debian variants at least in the meantime.

Also, you should override a couple of dll's in winetricks to make SS2 work fully at higher graphic levels:
Code:
./winetricks dlls d3dcompiler_43
./winetricks dlls d3dx9_43

(although that's using the winetricks script from http://winetricks.org/winetricks, I didn't know winetricks was in the repository).

Generally, you could just follow this topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39232

Support

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:36 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Curse
Level: 5572

why do people use linux exactly?

derpy is best pony

most fun to play with wings ^_^

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:13 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Panzer50 wrote:

I use it personally because it makes work like 1000 times quicker and easier. No joke.

I reckon these days, when working, I spend just as much time in a terminal (command line) as I do in a graphical application, and those times when I use a graphical application I'm savvy enough to do it from a terminal anyway.

Also, Windows is slow and annoying, I stopped using it about 6 months to a year ago, at which point I done most of my work in cygwin (linux environment for windows), I even opted to use subversion in cygwin over TortoiseSVN because I found it slow and annoying.

And that was in Windows XP, I hate to think what Windows 7 or 8 would be like, with all the 'do you want to allow X to run' and other 'security features'. XD

Support

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:21 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

I disabled those security checks quickly.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:30 am
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Acheron
Level: 1836

Panzer50 wrote:

maybe because windows is synonym for "plug and pray" (or "crash and cry" if you prefer :P), and a favorite target of viruses? and windows virus scanners may decrease machine performance considerably (whereas linux does not such a heavy scanner at all). oh, and linux does not come with the dreadful Internet Explorer pre-installed (and believe me, that browser is a NIGHTMARE for web developers :P).

but i must admit win7 is fairly fast and stable (never had an unintentional crash except once with a VPN client that was badly configured ;P), but the win8 metro desktop is fugly, annoying and unintuitive. so i guess i'll stick with win7 until 9 comes out :P

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:17 pm