Team: Infernal Empire
Main: HelenaTheBlonde
Level: 1343

Post Speed Demon Guide
Is it viable to level as a SD? Just to be more fun cause normal FC rad ex /HF gunner is boring and getting old.

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:21 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Post Re: Speed Demon Guide
SD can be strong but it requires more resources such as high level of AT skill, good augs, good gear, good ship, concentration (FC can fap while playing or even go pure afk).

I leveled some characters as SD years ago in client 1. Progression was Hotrod (4 inferno, artemis) - Spearhead (mix of good speed and good dmg iirc) - Locution (2 sup combi, 2 zeus) - Vulture (2 sup combi, 2 zeus). Many things have changed but I still think it can be viable if you use skill points wisely. Early progression is different now because of good inbuilt item on wingship line of ships.

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:59 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

A lot of it comes down to how you want to play the class and what works best for you.

There are stealthy SD's with burst damage,
There are long range SD's with sustained damage,
There are high mobility SD's with burst damage,
There are tanky SD's with sustained damage.

Stealthy with burst damage is the most common, as you do the hit-and-run tactics;
Target said object, activate overdrive device as you fly over them and dish out high damage which quickly destroys your bank and possibly shields if you're using Vervs. Tactically retreat to get stealth back up and maybe a heal.

Long range is great for PvAI, as you simply kite the enemy; you can continue to hit them well out of their range as they chase after you. You will still have decent damage since you'll be sustaining fire over a long period of time rather than bursts, basic rule is that if you can dent the shield regen, you can kill it, you just have to keep kiting.

High mobility SD with burst is a blend of the two previous ones, you're not stealthy but you can't sustain either. You're practically the stealthy one, but instead of stealth, you're speed. Relying on your fast agility and speed to get you out of a situation / enemy fire instead of your low visibility. This one works very well in PvP against other SD's specifically, the damage you can output versus someone who is trying to range you makes up for the hits you will take.

Finally the tank SD with sustained damage, not really useful outside of PvAI and even then probably not the most optimal. It can be good if you're low on a budget and are trying to solo everything.
You're going to be sacrificing a lot of speed for shields / resists, but on the plus side, you'll be able to tank most things. (This doesn't work as well for high tier PvAI) This is mostly used by level 200-500, as you are able to tank multiple enemies while naturally having a high rate of fire and decent damage to 'pull' enemies in for splash damage. (Not saying to use chained weapons, but if you've got a DWO or LC, etc. it's going to be easier to hit 4 Rosemary's coming at you than it is to hit 1) Allowing you to level up at a faster rate.

As Blizz said though, high levels of AT are your friend here. Space becomes very important and rare, so having an aug that gives a bit of capacity goes a long way when you've got AT25 and PU5. Augs as well are going to be very costly, you want the absolute best for your ship and rely on it more than most other classes and you really want some crit chance augs, at max level we get a free 20% chance to do double damage and knockout a critical component to the enemy, this is pretty crucial across all play styles in my opinion as the damage is just too good to pass up the option to utilize.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:10 am
Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

Antilzah wrote:
SD can be strong but it requires more resources such as high level of AT skill, good augs, good gear, good ship, concentration (FC can fap while playing or even go pure afk).

I leveled some characters as SD years ago in client 1. Progression was Hotrod (4 inferno, artemis) - Spearhead (mix of good speed and good dmg iirc) - Locution (2 sup combi, 2 zeus) - Vulture (2 sup combi, 2 zeus). Many things have changed but I still think it can be viable if you use skill points wisely. Early progression is different now because of good inbuilt item on wingship line of ships.

I went Hotrod+ -> Hotrod Mega -> Wingship V -> Suqqa Vazuk. Spearhead is obsolete now that Wingship V is a ship.

@ OP
Speed demon is an easy class to learn but one of the hardest classes to master. In other words, leveling as a SD is easy because at low levels, dodging and kiting are the best way to survive due to lack of shield bank and bonuses. But to be an expert SD, you not only need the money for the necessary gear, but superb piloting skills. Maneuvering your ship is important as a recon focus class, not so much for Support or Fleet Focus.

So to answer your question, yes they are a great class to level with. Just make sure you have cargo space to scoop loot.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: RevolutionPower
Level: 4939

Once you get into a Vulture with half descent augs like Blizz said..you can grind mf picks to 2.5k in no time..throw in some super intel gear too. It's still a viable levelling class but the easy option these days is FC ofc...lazy but effective. Look at me...I've never been anything but SD...all ai grinded..ok some trader missions too.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:39 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

As I saw it, Spearhead is in a different tech region from Wingship V. But since player progression is so fast...

...Takes months to go from T21 to T22, but a single month to go from T5 to T19.

You won't actually need to use one and take the time to get it to work well. Add to that the ship has no specific niche other than being a fast Light Fighter. So of course a Wingship V would step on it.

It's like saying Abrams made M60 obsolete. Well, duhhhhh. But unlike with warmachines, people can effortlessly upgrade to the Wingship V. A country like Turkey or Egypt has a longgggg way to go before it has the economy to purchase 3rd Gen tanks like Leo2 and M1A1.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:52 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

carterstrain wrote:
As I saw it, Spearhead is in a different tech region from Wingship V. But since player progression is so fast...

You won't actually need to use one and take the time to get it to work well. Add to that the ship has no specific niche other than being a fast Light Fighter. So of course a Wingship V would step on it.

It's like saying Abrams made M60 obsolete. Well, duhhhhh. But unlike with warmachines, people can effortlessly upgrade to the Wingship V. A country like Turkey or Egypt has a longgggg way to go before it has the economy to purchase 3rd Gen tanks like Leo2 and M1A1.

A good team will see a tech 20 player to t22 in a week or two.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:13 am

carterstrain wrote:

A good team will see a tech 20 player to t22 in a week or two.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:13 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Barring EF, RF, TR, SRX, and RE, it takes months.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:01 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Really depends on the player to be honest. We've had members that go from <t20 to t22 in a couple weeks but also members that are so casual that they've been using t20/21 for the past 3 years with no real ambition to go any higher and just enjoying the game in other aspects.

YES ENK IM LOOKING AT ILUVATAR WITH THE HM THAT'S BEEN WAITING TO GET UPGRADED SINCE I JOINED
:lol:

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:29 am
Team: Traders
Main: Shylo Reborn
Level: 2457

heylo wrote:
no real ambition

YES ENK IM LOOKING AT ILUVATAR WITH THE HM THAT'S BEEN WAITING TO GET UPGRADED SINCE I JOINED
:lol:

Yup!

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:23 pm

If you need advice/shown how to pilot a midrange pvai SD, try to find me ingame. I'll show you the ropes.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:30 pm
Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

ELITE wrote:
If you need advice/shown how to pilot a midrange pvai SD, try to find me ingame. I'll show you the ropes.

What if he wants pvp SD? Time to write a guide or revise Anakin's beginner SD one.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:01 pm
Main: Tenshi
Level: 6422

What augmenters do high lvl SDs use these days anyway? Talking about the t21 - 22 range.

Original Spartan112 (Oct 2006 - May 2010)

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:03 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Tenshi wrote:
What augmenters do high lvl SDs use these days anyway? Talking about the t21 - 22 range.

sekret ones

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:42 am
Profile WWW