Main: Monomaxos
Level: 705

Post Shield Monkey
I had tried the game quite a while ago up to lvl 75 but went busy and dropped off gaming. I am looking to resume playing, but apart the fact I am totally new to the game(although many things remind me Star Control series) and a bit lost at where I got left at I cant find any guide for Shield Monkeys. Yes I know its obviously not an easy class for a newbie like me but I love tanking and support and i dont mind long grinds as long as a game is fun.

So if you know any guide for Shield Monkeys or got any tips for a starter Shield Monkey would be great, thank you in advance

Edit:

Not sure if I posted on right forum since its related to guides but its asking for help too so maybe help forum is more right - if I posted on wrong sub forum apologies and please move my post to help

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:36 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Post Re: Shield Monkey
My best advice is to old off with picking a class until level 500 or so. Class skills are a huge skill point sink and you're better off spending those points elsewhere when you're low level

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:21 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

I'd rather have the bonuses from my class then a few core skills.

I would advise going battle-ready ShM for early leveling. Get a slave swarm of Paximinuses, as many as you can. Build your main ship for a little bit of healing and a lot of shield bank/regeneration/little bit of resistances. Heal your slaves and tank incoming damage while the army beats down enemies for you.

The Paxian ship line will serve you well leveling. They have good resists and usually good inbuilt super items for Shield Monkeys. Resists + Shield regen on command? Yes please. Prismatica/Serenity/Celestica/Selenologica (Hybrid for endgame F2P ShM).

If you need more in depth advice, ask for Lemon ingame and I'll assist.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:11 am

Thank you, I wouldnt pick the class if I wasnt sure on the playstyle I want, but I am actually using a paximinus as main since like lvl 20 more or less(I was out of the game long enough so I dont remember fully what I done before) and I am lvl 76 so I was wondering if I should change. I hadnt gone in depth to slaves last time, I need to read some guides on them too, just I had made a "test" wingman ship type slave to check the slave system. In my understanding my slaves will be in a way the dps during leveling, I will be the support and tank

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:45 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Pax shipline best shipline in game. So versatile. :D

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:09 am

They got a lot of space, I even fit a couple oversized things like an oversized magcannon II

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:33 pm
Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

ELITE wrote:
I'd rather have the bonuses from my class then a few core skills.

I would advise going battle-ready ShM for early leveling. Get a slave swarm of Paximinuses, as many as you can. Build your main ship for a little bit of healing and a lot of shield bank/regeneration/little bit of resistances. Heal your slaves and tank incoming damage while the army beats down enemies for you.

The Paxian ship line will serve you well leveling. They have good resists and usually good inbuilt super items for Shield Monkeys. Resists + Shield regen on command? Yes please. Prismatica/Serenity/Celestica/Selenologica (Hybrid for endgame F2P ShM).

If you need more in depth advice, ask for Lemon ingame and I'll assist.

They can't. RC 17, so no hybrid selens or scruplings.

@OP Shield Monkey has really low DPS no matter how you setup the slaves you can fly. To play it, you need MF bots and god augmenters for sure. Athena+ and Ares+ augs are nice. Focus on core skills first, especially piloting, energy, and shielding. Slave tweaking is more important than augmenter tweaking for ShM. When investing in class skills, upgrade Shield Manipulation first as that increases your slaves' damage.

You should also get Slave Research to level 1 minimum. It allows you to control 2 selens.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:31 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

I love how everyone is suggesting things that cost an ass load of money for a new player... :roll:

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:49 pm
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Russian Power
Level: 7504

isnt it more logical to be FC if you want to kill ais with slaves ? At such low lvl you wont have enought ShM skill bonuses anyway for your main ship.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:40 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

as someone recently told me on my youtube channel

"haha joo iz nub if joo dusnt has 2xAB+ or 3 scruplings / hybrids"

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

If you really want to play as a healer, some good low tech augs to try would be Angel Augmenters, although you need a t11+ ship. The next step would be to have a slave which takes agro (makes AI attack it). Normally you get around 1/2 of a slave's agro, so if you have identical slaves your main ship will take agro. To make an individual slave grab agro, you want to increase its hostility multiplier, make it do more dps or be less tanky than your other slaves.

A good way of increasing hostility is to give your slave gear with the *evil modification. Some augs like the aggravation series and Goblin augmenter also increase hostility (hostility multiplier * dps = aggro built on an AI).

Having said all this, you can always play a tanky monkey with slaves and some healing drones (magic attacks at low level, then acme combats and jungle drones). Missiles and fighters are a popular way to supplement dps on your main ship. This is probably the easier way to level and is similar to the Engineer class play style (Engineers get bonuses to deploy more drones and have a tanky main ship. At endgame they can also get powerful healing drones to compete with shield monkeys).

Slave tips:
The Remote Control skill gives your slaves a shield bank bonus, which benefits swarms of low tech slaves or high tech slaves with a resistance/recovery focus.

Slaves can waste time shooting at something that's almost dead or missing a fast AI. You can left click+ drag and then right click to give your slaves orders. Reposition them, select new targets, etc. shift + left click will queue orders.

As others mentioned, Paximinus are good swarm slaves and generally give the best bang for your buck. Some cheap augmenters to give them are hestia and apollo augmenters (most people like hestia). Some gear like the Ares energies in AI bases will give them a hefty damage bonus, so look out for that. try giving them pulse guns and mining lasers. Later on the immolation line of weapons make a great secondary weapon for shield monkeys, as you can heal your slaves back up.

Check out the crucible missions found in the arena lobby. The super items are useful for an aspiring shield monkey.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:28 am
Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

The Salty One wrote:
If you really want to play as a healer, some good low tech augs to try would be Angel Augmenters, although you need a t11+ ship. The next step would be to have a slave which takes agro (makes AI attack it). Normally you get around 1/2 of a slave's agro, so if you have identical slaves your main ship will take agro. To make an individual slave grab agro, you want to increase its hostility multiplier, make it do more dps or be less tanky than your other slaves.

A good way of increasing hostility is to give your slave gear with the *evil modification. Some augs like the aggravation series and Goblin augmenter also increase hostility (hostility multiplier * dps = aggro built on an AI).

Having said all this, you can always play a tanky monkey with slaves and some healing drones (magic attacks at low level, then acme combats and jungle drones). Missiles and fighters are a popular way to supplement dps on your main ship. This is probably the easier way to level and is similar to the Engineer class play style (Engineers get bonuses to deploy more drones and have a tanky main ship. At endgame they can also get powerful healing drones to compete with shield monkeys).

Slave tips:
The Remote Control skill gives your slaves a shield bank bonus, which benefits swarms of low tech slaves or high tech slaves with a resistance/recovery focus.

Slaves can waste time shooting at something that's almost dead or missing a fast AI. You can left click+ drag and then right click to give your slaves orders. Reposition them, select new targets, etc. shift + left click will queue orders.

As others mentioned, Paximinus are good swarm slaves and generally give the best bang for your buck. Some cheap augmenters to give them are hestia and pyrite augmenters (most people like hestia). Some gear like the Ares energies in AI bases will give them a hefty damage bonus, so look out for that. try giving them pulse guns and mining lasers. Later on the immolation line of weapons make a great secondary weapon for shield monkeys, as you can heal your slaves back up.

Check out the crucible missions found in the arena lobby. The super items are useful for an aspiring shield monkey.

Fixed that, although they may be a little on the expensive side of cheap.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:20 pm