Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: ss on wine (linux and mac)
That tutorial coupled with the DirectX guide that Jey posted are what I used. It's still not running as well as I'd like but it definitely worked out of the box.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 am
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

Ah, this is where the topic was hiding. I made a tutorial for installing wine on macbook. Have a look at it here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=53974

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:20 pm
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Edited the first post with new extremely simplified instructions that should work on all wine supported os (except the first part where you need to install wine where you need to use whatever package manager your system offer).

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:01 pm
over 9000!

Thanks for the update. I did check to see if I had those two dlls installed but winetricks informed me that they're already there. I guess my poor performance above low graphics mode is due to something else. I did download a utility that was able to disable the framerate cap you told me about it but didn't get much improved performance. I also double checked that I'm using the Nvidia card when running SS, so I'm not sure if there's anything else to do.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 pm
Dev Team

Yea, Nvidia cards using the optimus technology seem to cause problems with star sonata on wine (at least on a mac), Unfortunatly, its something i dont own right now, so it makes testing / debugging much harder.

From what i remember, your laptop should be able to run SS at very high without feeling it (i do it on much weaker machine using wine) which tend to point toward the optimus tech. Maybe wine isnt using it even tho mac os report it as being used.

doing a bit of research and for linux there is a command called "optirun" that force the application to run on the nvidia gpu (and work with wine), but i couldnt find if there was an equivalent on mac os.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:23 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: HIV Droner
Level: 3800

So, when I run SS on my macbook... this comes up after a few seconds after I log in http://prntscr.com/1383zk
Could anyone please help?

EDIT: Solved.

typical fruits

Last edited by ripcurl111 on Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 03, 2013 5:59 am
Main: Kat
Level: 2123

Hello,

All the wining apart...Q: Why not make it run on multi-more OS's ?

Kat

Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 am
Main: Chrononzon
Level: 9

After I enter the game with a character, the game area renders normally for an instant before transforming into this mess (Screenshot Attached)

Sorry if this seems like necroposting, I didn't think this warranted its own thread.

EDIT: This is the cadet tutorial area.

EDIT2: Oh yeah, here is the output when running wine from a terminal: http://pastebin.com/uhz2qKQc

EDIT3: Actually, this is beginning to look like it's because I didn't update properly. Can anyone confirm this? Does the server check that I'm updated when I connect?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 am
over 9000!

Looks a lot like viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57347&hilit=mac+wine

I would try following any steps that were suggested in that thread to see if they help you. I am not sure what you mean by update, though. The server definitely won't let you connect with an old client. Just to be sure though, try

wine patchbot.exe

from the terminal when you are in the Star Sonata 2 directory.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:50 am

Alright, looking at that thread it looked like it was a problem with Intel cards, and as it would have it, switching to my nvidia (nouveau drivers) card produced a host of different problems. I could swear I saw a post about this particular glitch though, does anyone know where I can find it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:49 pm
over 9000!

Ok, that looks a lot more promising. I am going to have to hand things over to Jey though since I have no idea how to fix that issue. Try submitting a support ticket if he doesn't answer here.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm pretty sure I saw a post with a similar image at some point though, I just can't find it.

EDIT: Maybe the thread has some helpful tips I could use.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 pm
Team: Super Squad
Main: Awful Toxic
Level: 468

I just got my star sonata to work on my mac so thanks a lot for the information. I have 1 issue however; my sound isn't working :/. I tried changing the settings in the game but it hasn't made a difference. My other videos, games, and music work but star sonata isn't making any noise.

Please help!

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:18 pm
Dev Team

are the other game you tried on wine as well ? If not, it could be something in your wine configuration not using whatever sound system you have on your machine.

Bleh, i just noticed how old was the post >< .lol sorry !, somehow i didnt see the new post in it until now

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 am
Main: ramik
Level: 818

Just wondering if ss2 does actually work on intel cards?

I've spent the last few hours trying to run it through the guides posted,
other forum posts and youtube guides, (evidently I'm no computer guru)
but without hope.

I'm running a late 2012 macbook retina pro, which runs its graphics through
the intel 4000,
from what I've gathered there's constantly been a variety of
problems between ss and intel,

is there any new methods to getting ss to run on the pro's?
or has anyone had any luck with the intel cards?

cheers in advance

edit: forgot to mention, Wine installs, xcode installs, xquartz installs, ss2 installs
then opens, log in, enter game, and graphics collapse, same to the previous posts in
this thread (that are years old)

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next