Support/PR Administrator
Main: Bageese
Level: 14

Post Item Tiers for Rarity
Currently, players new to the game have very little idea on the value of drops and what items are better/worse than others. A way around this is to introduce item "tiers" (poor, common, uncommon, rare, etc.) with corresponding colors. These would serve to give new players (and casual gamers) a quick way to determine if what they got is any good or not while they are still learning the game.

An item tier would also create a market for rarer items. It might go a little ways to solving the lack of a low level market.

The Visual Equipment Screen Proposal shows an example of the benefits of an Item Rarity Tier.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Item Tiers for Rarity
If you color code anything, can we have a color blind mode option implemented?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm
Main: Assassinat3r
Level: 2460

I think this would be great, I've seen it implemented in many other games (most recently TorchLight 2) and I agree that it's often times helpful for determining the value of an item as a newbie.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

It's a great idea in theory, but just tiers does not solve the issue. Other games make this work because they have very specific equations to make sure that Rare > Uncommon > Common > Poor. SS does not have this, each items utility is determined by the build itself, there is not a specific gear list for each class targeting their primary attributes. A tier system in SS to work for anything more than "this item is more uncommon than that item" (which is a pretty useless function, to be honest), would require a major overhaul on most, if not all, the items in the game to fall into a tier system of "this item is better than that item". Which coincidentally is something I feel like everyone would like to avoid.

Sat May 04, 2013 8:26 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Also, the majority of 'useful' loot in Star Sonata comes from a blueprint, rather than being actual loot you would find in a chest, requiring you to either set up extraction centers (owned galaxies between you and your team) or go out and farm something. For the average player and certainly for anyone trying to do a Let's Play, this isn't at all fun.

And that is also why you can't get a youtuber like the Yogscast or SeaNanners to do anything to this game. Because from day one you need to farm. Farming is not good to watch, farming is unpopular, farming has no action (or limited action). Olympus is farming at its core.

I think an overhaul really is needed, get off your lazy bums and do it.

Sat May 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: brindlebull
Level: 5143

ELITE wrote:
If you color code anything, can we have a color blind mode option implemented?

This.

Thu May 09, 2013 11:21 pm
Main: Rush
Level: 162

We need to be notified if the galaxy we're just entered is famous:

"You have discovered the famous Glass Matrix!"

and perhaps:

"There are unique ice based weapons rumored here!"

Rumors shouldn't always be accurate but tell you something can be found...
(hidden bases, uniques for sale, incredibly important missions, unique skills levels for this warp level... if you don't have them yet)

When you dock you could also see the list of unique items sold right away, since no one in their right minds will check the list of EVERY ai station in EVERY galaxy on the off chance there could be some oddball useful unique item there.

And of course, unique or very rare items (like some micro items exist out of micron, but are pretty darn rare) get their own special color. Or a ! at the end of the name.
"Micro very big laser!"

Galaxies should also on the map have a little symbol indicating you never docked at EVERY ai station there. It makes completitionists extremely happy. +1 EXP per new AI station discovered on top would be nice (-; but the point is for people not to go thru many super important galaxies without noticing.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

fickle wrote:
We need to be notified if the galaxy we're just entered is famous:

"You have discovered the famous Glass Matrix!"

and perhaps:

"There are unique ice based weapons rumored here!"

Rumors shouldn't always be accurate but tell you something can be found...
(hidden bases, uniques for sale, incredibly important missions, unique skills levels for this warp level... if you don't have them yet)

When you dock you could also see the list of unique items sold right away, since no one in their right minds will check the list of EVERY ai station in EVERY galaxy on the off chance there could be some oddball useful unique item there.

And of course, unique or very rare items (like some micro items exist out of micron, but are pretty darn rare) get their own special color. Or a ! at the end of the name.
"Micro very big laser!"

Galaxies should also on the map have a little symbol indicating you never docked at EVERY ai station there. It makes completitionists extremely happy. +1 EXP per new AI station discovered on top would be nice (-; but the point is for people not to go thru many super important galaxies without noticing.

That is actually an extremely good idea.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:46 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Yeah, more secrets and hidden stuff for existing areas. I don't get why the hell does Jeff_L want exploration to be a significant factor of SS...if there is nothing to actually find....

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:57 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

Max235 wrote:
Yeah, more secrets and hidden stuff for existing areas. I don't get why the hell does Jeff_L want exploration to be a significant factor of SS...if there is nothing to actually find....

There was a nice suggestion about random instances a while back. We could also have randomly distributed missions that are unique to each character/account (so you have to find them yourself).

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Update / ETA? :roll:

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 pm
Main: Prophet of Adum
Level: 7787

heylo wrote:
Update / ETA? :roll:

been asking this my self

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

Is this still happening?

Seems like a cool addition to the game.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:02 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

Highest voted suggestion on the suggestions page is a post from 2013 asking for colour coded items, still hasn't been implemented in 2016...

Should we just delete the suggestions tab of the forum by now?

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:26 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Zeuss wrote:
Highest voted suggestion on the suggestions page is a post from 2013 asking for colour coded items, still hasn't been implemented in 2016...

Should we just delete the suggestions tab of the forum by now?

Yes.

Well. It works. But the problem was that the admins tallied up votes by the month. If Suggestion A was highest last month and Suggestion B got more overall votes counting this month, then ALL work stopped on Suggestion A and Suggestion B work started.

That's why I never ever voted or added new suggestions. Katy Perry's Hot and Cold song hits every nail on the head on why what happened was bad. Can't make up your damn mind.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:40 am