over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Alchemy Laboratories: Making subprime galaxies more valu
Base kit upgrades that are also skins is a really cool idea.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:39 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

anilv wrote:
Base kit upgrades that are also skins is a really cool idea.

See? I'm full of good ideas!

Ideas so good, you can call me Good Idea. :idea:

Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:03 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

I'm not a big fan of the idea for compressing lower tier commods for higher tier ones either. It kind of breaks both the lore and the market potential for higher tier commods.

Prospecting is REALLY good for tier 2/3 resources, but you have to invest a little time into it.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:46 pm
Contributor

biggee531 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the idea for compressing lower tier commods for higher tier ones either. It kind of breaks both the lore and the market potential for higher tier commods.

Prospecting is REALLY good for tier 2/3 resources, but you have to invest a little time into it.

How does alchemy break the lore? We have rats shooting poop in space, while spawning from space cheese, for goodness sake...

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:58 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

How does it break the lore?

Well, you're making Energon (energized very rare material thats formed in suns) from a tier2 commod like gold. That just makes no sense whatsoever.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:23 am
Contributor

heylo wrote:
How does it break the lore?

Well, you're making Energon (energized very rare material thats formed in suns) from a tier2 commod like gold. That just makes no sense whatsoever.

The admins are obviously not going to make it build from Gold...

But its Alchemy, that's the whole point of calling them Alchemical Laboratories. You're making "fakes" that are so similar no one can tell the difference.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:44 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Fakes >.< so you build your ship with fake adamantium. Wonder how that would hold up lol xD

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:43 am
Contributor

heylo wrote:
Fakes >.< so you build your ship with fake adamantium. Wonder how that would hold up lol xD

Fakes as in they aren't "naturally" created.

Just like today, people don't want "genetically modified" food because they don't consider it to be "real". Just like we have "synthetic" fibers, it is 100% possible and plausible that some people would have access to the technology to make "synthetic" Adamantium that is indistinguishable from real Adamantium (Protip, there's no such thing as natural Adamantium).

syn·thet·ic
adjective
1. (of a substance) made by chemical synthesis, especially to imitate a natural product.

It makes perfect sense within the game world. And if you ask "Well, why don't people just make synthetics instead of wasting time going for the real stuff?"

The same reason synthetic rubies and emeralds aren't as valued as the real things. It comes down to psychology. People want "The real McCoy".

Adamantium IS a synthetic substance, its literally just supposed to be the hardest substance.

Energon is a resource that the admins took from the Transformers Universe. And guess what? In that universe its so rare that the Cybertronians have to rely on "artificially generated substitutes" in order to make do. Those substitutes are so good that they can make do with them. In some cases, the substitute was more powerful and worked like rage inducing steroids. They then had to go back, rework the formula, and get something that was closer to natural energon.

Its more expensive to develop fake Energon then it is to get real stuff. Your move. :mrgreen:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:34 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Aridross
Level: 4150

let's go back to basics. first incorrect point: Energon from gold can't happen. let me explain to the person who said that what Alchemy even is:

In olden times, quite likely the renaissance, there was a man who could make lead into gold, but never said how. in more modern times, when gold began to become sparse, alchemy was created as the science of how to do what that man did. only recently has that become possible, though.

the whole point of Alchemy has always been, no matter when or where, to turn something into something more valuable.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:29 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

Out from thin air and with no sources to back me up, I'm quite sure Alchemy isn't a science, and there has been no lead into gold conversion, ever. Alchemy is love potions and other kind of scams from the old days and mentioned often in movies, such as creating gold..

By leveraging Chemistry knowledge, you might change some stuff into other stuff, but lead into gold is still not possible. Creation of matter (atoms) which exists on the periodic table, such as gold, is done in the stars. For something, like gold, even our star (the sun) is far from enough.

Creating molecules on the other hand like going from oil to plastic is far easier, and might be what you guys are referring to?

Though later in the history of the universe and humankind, there might be science that leverages suns to create atoms, molecules, materials and so forth.

Just my thought on the matter :D

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am
Contributor

andsimo wrote:
Out from thin air and with no sources to back me up, I'm quite sure Alchemy isn't a science, and there has been no lead into gold conversion, ever. Alchemy is love potions and other kind of scams from the old days and mentioned often in movies, such as creating gold..

By leveraging Chemistry knowledge, you might change some stuff into other stuff, but lead into gold is still not possible. Creation of matter (atoms) which exists on the periodic table, such as gold, is done in the stars. For something, like gold, even our star (the sun) is far from enough.

Creating molecules on the other hand like going from oil to plastic is far easier, and might be what you guys are referring to?

Though later in the history of the universe and humankind, there might be science that leverages suns to create atoms, molecules, materials and so forth.

Just my thought on the matter :D

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... into-gold/

Quote:
“It is relatively straightforward to convert lead, bismuth or mercury into gold,” Morrissey says. “The problem is the rate of production is very, very small and the energy, money, etcetera expended will always far exceed the output of gold atoms.”

“It would cost more than one quadrillion dollars per ounce to produce gold by this experiment," Seaborg told the Associated Press that year.

That year was more than 30 years ago. We've known how to turn Lead into Gold for FAR more than 30 years. Its not practical because the amount of energy required costs more than the value of what is created.

Alchemists weren't "quack" scientists, they were scientists who were chasing "quack" science. There's a difference. And even then, they've contributed so much to what we know and do today.

To sum it all up, Nuclear Fission and Fusion IS Alchemy. We just don't have cheap, endless amounts of energy, nor is the value of the resulting product worth the cost it would take to create it.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:31 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

I stand corrected and learned something. Not too bad.

“It would cost more than one quadrillion dollars per ounce to produce gold by this experiment," some scientist dude said.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:23 pm
Contributor

andsimo wrote:

“It would cost more than one quadrillion dollars per ounce to produce gold by this experiment," some scientist dude said.

Quote:
In 1980, when the bismuth-to-gold experiment was carried out, running particle beams through the Bevalac cost about $5,000 an hour, “and we probably used about a day of beam time,” recalls Oregon State University nuclear chemist Walter Loveland, one of the researchers on the project. Glenn Seaborg, who shared the 1951 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work with heavy elements and who died in 1999, was the senior author on the resulting study. “It would cost more than one quadrillion dollars per ounce to produce gold by this experiment," Seaborg told the Associated Press that year. The going rate for an ounce of gold at the time? About $560.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1981PhRvC..23.1044A

And here's what you would have seen had you googled his name.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

andsimo wrote:

As technology advances the cost to produce it goes down. Assuming that cost to be static is literally one of the most stupid assertions I have yet seen someone make. How much do you think it would cost to build a 50 inch LED TV in the '50s (provided you went back in time and showed them how), and how much does it cost today? The answer is that the production cost would be a small fortune back then, but only a few hundred dollars today, because the technology has evolved allowing for easier access to the required materials and production.

Is alchemy a long way away from fruition as a means of producing precious metals from common ones? Yes. Will it have come a long way by the time we have mastered interstellar travel (the era in which this game is set)? Undoubtedly.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:21 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

The reason TVs are cheaper to manufacture nowadays is that we have the proper equipment to do so, not to mention that we are reaping huge economies of scale. I guarantee it would still be expensive as hell to synthesize all your own materials and build a single LED TV from scratch.

On the other hand, converting one element to another runs up against simple physics. You are talking about coercing certain atoms to split/fuse. All the R&D and economies of scale will not change the amount of energy required for that.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:40 pm