Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

Post Create basic builds for new players
Hi I'm proposing that experienced players create public builds in the calculator that can be linked to from the wiki page that lists potential builds. In addition to the augmenter choices this makes it easier to show shield, engine, hull expander, energy and weapon choices.

In my experience there is way more complicated to create a working build in the low levels then in the later stages of the game. Especially a combination that gives enough electricity, a decent shield and does not fill the hull so much that you can't do missions. It is especially difficult because new players does not have the insight and experience to do the correct choices. In late game, bad builds are just not efficient, in early stages they just don't work.

I'm not sure if correct but I find the best builds to be the ones that maximises hull space at least for tech under 10.

PS: Public builds can now be viewed without being logged in to the webpage.
PS2: If you don't know how to edit the wiki, just post your account name and build name, and I can add it to the wiki.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:12 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

Post Re: Create basic builds for new players
When I saw builds I thought base builds, it seems like you are looking for ship builds =( could I throw in some random adonis kits builds? Xp

Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:27 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Isn't this something one person can toss together in 30 minutes? There can't be that many viable builds in the early game, surely. I just don't have the expertise myself since I haven't played a low level character in years.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:12 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

This really isn't the place for this since, as you linked yourself, there is already a player maintained (though outdated) wiki page for it.

A better idea would be going into General Discussion and asking people to provide their leveling setups then updating it with that.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:26 pm
Main: wal-e
Level: 3167

I don't think its a good idea. If you have these build calcs ready for new players, they will miss out on the first taste, the mystery of SS for the first time. When I first started SS it was such a wonder to begin and such an eye opener to find just how far you could advance.

Isn't it better that the established SS community help these new players out if they are stuck, but leave them to make their own way?

Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:17 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Lol, I remember some of those builds going on those pages in like 2009 and 2010. So outdated, suggesting Pax Astronomica for Berserker. XD

I'll move this post to SSGD, as it's not a suggestion, perhaps you can flag TCGM or SunDog down and they can redo the page layout to match what the wiki is now and some better content could be provided.

Support

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:06 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Creating builds is kinda hard. If we had the wiki setup in a way where you could enter your skills and it would pull out all the gear you could possibly use, and then filter those results a bit that'd be cool.

But that sounds like a lot of work for something that probably won't see much use.

For my new alts I just throw together setups out of AI base gear until I can get high enough skills to use useful stuff. Just scavenging what I see lol.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:45 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

Blue Dwarf wrote:
I'll move this post to SSGD, as it's not a suggestion, perhaps you can flag TCGM or SunDog down and they can redo the page layout to match what the wiki is now and some better content could be provided.

I gave this some thought and I have a few ideas of what I could try, but the wiki isn't the greatest for something like that. I'll see what I can do though.

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:10 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

I'd stop providing information at around T15-19. When you get to the later game there are many, many viable options for setups and setups can become more based around the gear you're using as well as the ship and the augs themselves. If the idea of this page is to help nubs get their foot in the door, then the focus should really be T5-T15.

Support

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:37 am

I was thinking maybe a table with:
Short name - Energy - Elec - Shield - Recov - DPE - Dmg Type - Speed - resistance.

And then a link to my calculator to See further details.

I Agree with blir that it should be Tech 1-5 no class and then 5-10(15) with class. To keep it simple way all skills are at same lvl? Above that The player should start understanding The basics and The importance of augs and The class strenghts to explore themselves.

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:53 pm
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

andsimo wrote:
Hi I'm proposing that experienced players create public builds in the calculator that can be linked to from the wiki page that lists potential builds.

Wait...we have a functional calculator?

WHERE!!???

I will leave you every build i have ever made if you SIMPLY GIVE ME A FUCKING TOOL TO STAT THEM! Preferably one including all the spacy and speedy augs ty!

Edit, found it i think http://www.andsimo.com/StarSonata

Why the hell can i not select ship?

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Probably have not added any skills. If you don't want to, select the allow all items choice.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:16 am

andsimo wrote:
Probably have not added any skills. If you don't want to, select the allow all items choice.

Kool, ty.

How do i share a build. Also, how do get the weapons calculator to use my Berserk Modifier for multi weapons?

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:30 am

lrellok wrote:
How do i share a build.
Go to "Build Viewer" -> Click on your build -> Copy the url (The url should include &Build_ID=xxx) -> Post the URL to whomever you wanna share it with.

lrellok wrote:
Also, how do get the weapons calculator to use my Berserk Modifier for multi weapons?
Not sure what you are referring too? Could you please name the missing items and the effect you want to see in the calculator.

EDIT: I guess you are referring to the Class Superitems. I'm working on including Neurowteaks and then also Superitems since these are basically the same thing. However I haven't found a good system for calculating and changing stats over time yet (Without changing from server-side to client-side calculations.)

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:21 am

andsimo wrote:
Go to "Build Viewer" -> Click on your build -> Copy the url (The url should include &Build_ID=xxx) -> Post the URL to whomever you wanna share it with.

No, i mean where do you want the sample ships posted.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:30 am