Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

Post Re: Gunner: I have two guns, called Left and Right.
Except half of what churchill says is nonsensical. Just sayin'.

Just because someone can write 3 pages doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.(Same applies to me)

EDIT: I just read churchills above post, and he effectively said nothing. He re-stated his points(which we already understood) in a slightly different way. That doesn't change the fact that the answer to the majority of it is No.

Thank you for your time.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
5. Rail Guns. Do exist in SS as I have described. Magcannon Turret is a 360o turret with decent(low if you moved it up to T20) tracking on the projectile.

No, it doesn't work like that. For the thousandth time, it doesn't work like that. (see other thread). As you seemingly enjoy a better understanding of the code without seeing it, or writing it, than I do, I'll bow to your ability to make it work as a "turret". You seemingly know how the damage debuff code works and how auras could "easily" be changed to affect it [hint: they can't] and a multitude of other coding knowledge that I, in my ignorance, simply cannot get to work.

At which point, I bow to your superior knowledge and stop reading...

As an example, and for the record, you might want to ask who wrote the entire Halloween event (with excellent models via Feathers), and added all the gear, hulls and stats on all the AI, and who worked 37 hrs straight when capping became impossible / worked out all the "hull filling" items to allow capping under certain conditions, fixed bad spawns, wrote all the boss code and so on and so forth before lecturing me about it

Hint: I did.

I like Sesame Street as well.

Last edited by Aurora Ex Machina on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:09 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

git em!

aurora you free later for some coffee or a 5 star night of debauchery?

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:24 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

Wouldn't a rail gun just be a Sterile Cannon with full tracking? Doesn't seem that hard to make.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:25 pm

You know what, lets just scratch all the ideas so far. The main point in all of these arguments is that gunner's need a viable method to inflict a massive amount of damage through augmentation (add +missile stats to exsisting gunner augs) and also have a damage type that inflicts damage to ubers that are resistance to only one type of damage ergo heat, or physical, or lazer.

The major limiting factor a gunner has at the moment is that it cannot constantly spew missiles, theres no sustainablity in their setups, and that gunner class stats only give damage buffs to mining.

Have you ever tried solo dpsing bana with a ACAL? good luck.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2414

I'm fairly certain that augmenters won't fix Gunner...

I say just leave it to AEM. I trust that she's more than competent enough to be able to bring Gunner inline with other classes.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:26 pm
Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

Its kinda makes me sad, though, that Churchill gets a dev to tear HIS suggestions apart, but nobody wants to tear mine apart. Inequality!

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:31 pm

We lack an aug_effect that can influence missiles, and due to some weird coding, it can't actually happen (due to them being non-permanent slaves - and yes, a missile is merely a suicidal slave.. which, guess what? Yep: Auras / Augs that effect missiles effects slaves, and I'm sure we can all see the potential for abuse there - which is why FC augs don't buff slaves either, but I digress. No..wait... you mean that FC auras don't effect missiles? Perchance the dev team saw the potential abuse there?).

Bottom line: Augs cannot effect slaves or missiles. Auras can effect slaves but not missiles. This is intentional, to preclude massive abuses.

I'm happy to provide constructive discussion, but there's a hard-core element of people who think: "Well, this weapon sure looks like X, I bet it functions exactly the same! Hey, you muppet devs, use it!!0010111! Hey, dev, you're a muppet! This will work! You're too dumb to think of these things, and my mum says I'm totally amazing at being creative, so implement it naw!".

Hint: they don't. Sterile Cannon is another one of those that uses 0.03 turn, but with a 10 vector speed increase. Don't get me started. Hint: You want something that doesn't involve you aiming? Use a laser (You're a Capital Ship Core? Oh, we haven't met!).

Rail Guns are different to a mere 360o Laser... er... because we already did that.

Cygnus wrote:
Its kinda makes me sad, though, that Churchill gets a dev to tear HIS suggestions apart, but nobody wants to tear mine apart. Inequality!

Fire away: I love dealing with informed feedback that tells me how things work and how stupid I am for not using it.

Last edited by Aurora Ex Machina on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Hmm. WILL there be heavy fighter/capital ship hybrids? Do you like the idea of them?

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Griffin wrote:
Hmm. WILL there be heavy fighter/capital ship hybrids? Do you like the idea of them?

Yes. Another content dev agrees, which is all it takes to get a proto-type on the floor.

I'll probably upload it to test by Monday.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:53 pm

:D

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:55 pm
Main: Xenodread
Level: 2605

I'd like to see a sort of upgrade kit for those of us who spent all of our money on a zebra to one of these hybrids.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:51 pm

You get offended to easily, I didn't know it was impossible to add missile/slave stats to an augmentor. I just assumed that class skills effected your ship the same way augmentors did.

Main question: will gunners have damage bonuses to all damage types? Because being limited to mining damage, is well, limiting :P

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Only in a select few situations could Mining Damage be useless. I think that as more Gunner content is released we will see some Mining weapons other than ZSpitters/Excomms/ACALs.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

excomm is what? Tech 11? And still used by gunners well upto and past 1k. What about a new t20 excomm style wep, with a bit more punch to it?

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:17 pm