Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

Post Re: Nerf drone dps and make them cheaper
I still don't get why you guys are suggesting new content when a good portion of old content still needs to be fixed for c2.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

Well... we don't exactly expect bug fixes anymore. Just doesn't happen much anymore. Never has. Lady Kelvin mission for the win. We'd rather have something else that makes the game more liveable instead of just slightly more liveable.

Basicly, if the whole engineer is suddenly more playable, it counts as new content, I guess... Besides, we're not seeing much new content either, other than grind fests. I'd like something neat.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:05 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

potato8 wrote:
what about every 2 or 3 "drone husks" used with a factory obtained through a mission turns the husks into the drone

It's a choice. Drone stasis also is. So is generator idea. I support the generator idea since it involves the least coding.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:42 am

Xonok2 wrote:
potato8 wrote:
what about every 2 or 3 "drone husks" used with a factory obtained through a mission turns the husks into the drone

It's a choice. Drone stasis also is. So is generator idea. I support the generator idea since it involves the least coding.

As does formatting the server's hard drive. They're all relatively easy projects. Bases turn into dead bases already. Player ships have stasis. Generators are only slightly more easy to code.

The ease of coding it is not relevant when all the ideas would take a week, tops, to code.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: thebattler36
Level: 2015

Visorak wrote:
I still don't get why you guys are suggesting new content when a good portion of old content still needs to be fixed for c2.

This is a fix for old content thats been broken for years.

Change to drone gens/broken drones or make weapons blow up on death.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:01 am

SkyTitan wrote:
Xonok2 wrote:

As does formatting the server's hard drive. They're all relatively easy projects. Bases turn into dead bases already. Player ships have stasis. Generators are only slightly more easy to code.

The ease of coding it is not relevant when all the ideas would take a week, tops, to code.

I didn't express myself clearly. By coding i mean coding+debugging. I can see that there would be crazy amounts of bugs for some ideas. Gens, however, dont take ANY coding, just editing the server XML to add them and some debugging.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

While Stasis and Drone Repair/Husk requires larger amounts of debugging, which the admins will try to pass onto us...

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 am
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

I'm all for implementing the best solution, regardless of difficulty to code etc.

With that being said, I still feel as if Drone Generators (and fighter generators as well) are the best solution for various reasons:

All classes would have the same mechanic behind gearing a new character:
- Heavy initial investment without long-term "fees" associated with choosing a particular class, which in this case is a massive investment on the engineer's part which is totally dependent on SS's dynamic (and antiquated) market/trade system.

- Depending on the number of "newer" accounts, one can justify that a certain percentage of people will choose engineer. New engineers equates to more drones being purchased or required which results in potentially higher drone costs and less availability; the more engineers there are, the less potential there is for a static availability of drones due to the group of people that farm drone drops would not be proportionally consistent to a new influx of players...

- No other class suffers from a dynamic market as much as Engineers; one could argue that Zerkers have to pay for 5 weapons instead of 1 like most other classes. My argument for that is that there are a plethora of weapons for each damage type for Zerkers; that is not the case for engineers. There are various tiers available for Zerkers in terms of weapon choices to fit a particular scenario; if an Engineer wants to do bana, he has to use AID's as there is no alternative for heat at that tech level.

Like I suggested in several other threads, make drone/fighter generators a heavy initial investment and potentially annoying to build. Various tiers of built "generators"(the core construction module behind the generators; ruin generators [special stats; maybe mzungu gives the generated drones additional bank but lower regen], built zone-themed generators that maybe give perks or something) determine the amount of drones/fighters generated. Higher tiers would cause the resulting generator to be much more expensive to repair, but would allow for more drones to be generated.

There is a huge area of content to explore concerning generators, and I think it is the next big step towards balancing class cost.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:46 am
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

biggee531 wrote:
- No other class suffers from a dynamic market as much as Engineers; one could argue that Zerkers have to pay for 5 weapons instead of 1 like most other classes. My argument for that is that there are a plethora of weapons for each damage type for Zerkers; that is not the case for engineers. There are various tiers available for Zerkers in terms of weapon choices to fit a particular scenario; if an Engineer wants to do bana, he has to use AID's as there is no alternative for heat at that tech level.

I don't see why Engineer gets a comparison to zerker. Why should they get a plethora of damage type selections?! The last thing they need is new drones.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:37 pm
over 9000!

I used Surg, Mining, Energy, Laser, Physical, Rad, and Heat as a zerk. The drones that "can" use mining, surg, and rad are weak as fuck. Only Energy, Laser, and Heat are real viable pve damage types for engineers unless you're lemon with a quad gen DS+ for armadas.

My sniper, gunner, sd, and even seer have greater damage type variety than my engineer. And everything my old zerk could use, so can the shm.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Your engineer must be pretty bad then. Armada Ambushes are extremely powerful in the right hands, so that's surgical. Armada drones have their uses, though not for straight DPS - that's physical. And it's well known that there are no high-level mining or radiation drones.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:05 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Thermal
Level: 5942

The only class that I ever found usable to put out a huge amount of radiation DPS over any other DPS, was Fleet Commander. If you go by that fact, then Engineers have Bule Ada Drones. They are suited for capping, but in the same line as it is for most other classes: radiation damage won't come close to other damage types.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 pm
over 9000!

Quote:
Should not have to get my target within range of a Lincin to deal damage with a specific damage type.

You just confirmed another problem with engineer Biggee and I have been hinting at all day. THERES NOT ENOUGH VARIETY WITHIN THE DAMAGE TYPES

A player should never have to go to one specific place for one specific drone to do surgical damage at DD20 drones. This is where all the other MMO's are leaving us behind in. You can go to different places for stuff that do more or less the same general thing.

Short range surg weapon T20 drones? Should be 4 of them, each from totally different sources. Each drone should differ somewhat, but "short range surg drone" is something all four are and can do.

It's sad that for T20 drones(dunno if theres more than heph for t21), you basically HAVE to do UZ runs. Forcing people to do a specific run to be "good" at a generic area of their class = not sandbox game as advertised.

In addition to all the fuss we're making on THE FACT ENGINEERS PAY OVER TIME THAN ANY OTHER CLASS

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:14 pm

biggee531 wrote:
I'm all for implementing the best solution, regardless of difficulty to code etc.

Sweet!
biggee531 wrote:
Like I suggested in several other threads, make drone/fighter generators a heavy initial investment and potentially annoying to build. Various tiers of built "generators"(the core construction module behind the generators; ruin generators [special stats; maybe mzungu gives the generated drones additional bank but lower regen], built zone-themed generators that maybe give perks or something) determine the amount of drones/fighters generated. Higher tiers would cause the resulting generator to be much more expensive to repair, but would allow for more drones to be generated.

There is a huge area of content to explore concerning generators, and I think it is the next big step towards balancing class cost.

Well... I'm fine with generators... just not as a replacement for current items.

Balancing costs for classes isn't really a big deal imo. They're just bonuses to certain items. Want to use a sucky item? Awesome! Let's do it!

No... I don't think so. That being said though, sucky items meant to be nonsuck should be made nonsuck. Also, imbalanced costs are the last thing keeping this game from becoming just a formula based game...

Drones and fighters, if moved to generators, would just be weapons. There's no point in that. It's like some over hyped wow (I refuse to capitalize that properly) weapon that "summons" some bees to attack. It's just pathetic. Now, actual fighters are some pretty cool shit. As is slapping down gun turrets (drones).

I also, however like the idea of being like the Vazaha, mining an asteroid belt and make some ships in space. Who knows, could be fighters. Possibly drones.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Btw, it isn't necessary for one to replace another. Example:Gens could be implemented so, that they take an amount of the according drone or for some other reason cost more than a set of drones. But drones would still be usable to old way too.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:08 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next