Main: Demiser of D
Level: 4

Post Zooming with the mouse wheel, fly behind.
I keep trying to do this instinctively. Could it be made a feature?

Also, something i've really noticed is that while the angled view looks nice, unless you're looking right down your ship it's kinda useless and makes combat nigh-impossible, at least without some massive tracking. I really think it might be better if the camera were set to fly behind your ship, even if you couldn't orbit all the way down into the ecliptic directly behind your ship.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:15 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Chemo
Level: 3621

Post Re: Zooming with the mouse wheel, fly behind.
Demiser of D wrote:
I keep trying to do this instinctively. Could it be made a feature?

Also, something i've really noticed is that while the angled view looks nice, unless you're looking right down your ship it's kinda useless and makes combat nigh-impossible, at least without some massive tracking. I really think it might be better if the camera were set to fly behind your ship, even if you couldn't orbit all the way down into the ecliptic directly behind your ship.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUssEXdXBd0

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Woah, i love it :o

Why don't we have that? Or at least the option to do that? I personally would play with that on all the time.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:17 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

I think if you made it a "smart" camera angle from behind that adjusted smoothly with a delay, it would be a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the Vomit Comet cam.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:17 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Chemo
Level: 3621

biggee531 wrote:
I think if you made it a "smart" camera angle from behind that adjusted smoothly with a delay, it would be a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the Vomit Comet cam.

That would be nice.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dev Team
Main: Xipe Totec
Level: 2

I guarantee you it will be impossible to play from that viewpoint, not much point to it. Plus every single background and target ring/billboard will not work

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Feathers wrote:
I guarantee you it will be impossible to play from that viewpoint, not much point to it. Plus every single background and target ring/billboard will not work

Apologies if i can't agree with you, but I cant say that it wont work for me until I've tested it out myself. I occasionally find ways that work that others don't, so I don't think it's fair for you to assume that just because some people don't like it, I wont.

As for billboards and whatnot...if the change in angle right now doesn't make them impossible to read, then i don't believe that a different change of angle would make that much difference. At the most, i'd just have to switch back to normal viewing mode to read them, which wouldn't be a big deal.

I would really like to try it out myself, however. Couldn't this at least be done in Beta, where it's expected that some things won't look quite right? If a significant number of people end up using it in beta, then you could consider making it a permanent feature. If they don't, then it's no loss on your part.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:54 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Chase plane cam really doesn't work with the physics of Star Sonata. Our ships turn too fast and they have too much momentum compared to their thrust, and they don't constantly thrust. All these things, plus a bunch of graphics would have to change for this to really be a viable camera mode. Also, it would make it really difficult to control slaves.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Team: Traders
Main: playerboy345
Level: 3084

JeffL wrote:
Chase plane cam really doesn't work with the physics of Star Sonata. Our ships turn too fast and they have too much momentum compared to their thrust, and they don't constantly thrust. All these things, plus a bunch of graphics would have to change for this to really be a viable camera mode. Also, it would make it really difficult to control slaves.

most slavers won't use it, SDs will.

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:01 am

I'm not saying it should be required, I'm just saying that it should be a tactical option. Ideally a really good player would be switching constantly between all the different view modes to get maximum benefit from them all.

Of course, if you spin at 10 rps, it will give you a headache...but you wont use it for anything but for laughs at that speed, anyway.

All i'm saying is that it should be an option. That's all, really.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:48 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Not going to spend probably a months worth of time implementing something used just for laughs...

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

How about letting us rotate the camera angle to each of the four cardinal directions, instead of just looking from the south all the time? I could imagine using that sometimes.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Months? Hardly. I'm saying throw it in the way it is, now, since it already apparently works! Like i said, since it's in beta right now, you can get away with having something that doesn't look quite right. Then, if anyone actually uses it, you know you've got a feature that will be useful down the road!

THEN you can decide whether or not to put the required amount of effort to make it look nice.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:47 pm
Dev Team
Main: Xipe Totec
Level: 2

It doesn't work as is is the point, the game is not intended to be played from that view point.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:05 pm

The difficulty lies in this...the way it is right now is ridiculous. No serious player will ever sacrifice the tactical advantage of being able to see further south to look at the game in any way other than top-down. Unless, of course, they want to look further north. But if that's the case, why should people that are to the south have a tactical advantage not shared by the people to any other direction?

It seems extremely arbitrary and pointless to me.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 pm