over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Increased build rate
I've got to say during the past week or two that we had the increased build rate, I had so much more fun in my construction projects. It was great being able to start and finish a whole module project in one day if I just checked in at the right times and kept the raw materials stocked. It didn't really feel like cheating since the resource cost of things wasn't lowered; just helped lend some immediacy to the game.

I'd like to suggest that build times be lowered across the board, of course with possible exceptions that I'm sure we can think up. I know a lot of players have expressed the sentiment that waiting two weeks for a ship to be done really puts a damper on the excitement (considering sourcing commods and augs for module builds, keeping them fed, possibly building the piece of Oly gear required for the ship, and actually building the ship). This is of course even worse for UZ ships, as we all know.

Can anyone think of a reason not to speed up build times across the board (again, with possible exceptions that other players will surely think of)?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:09 pm
Team: Beta Frequency
Main: Discharge
Level: 2691

Post Re: Increased build rate
We just discussed this in moderator chat. A few points to add.

- This will make it possible for people to work as full time builders, and have a business based around building. People that buy commodities and raw gear from players, and then build new items with it, just to sell the finished product they built.

- Colony blueprints, and anything that has to do with lowering the time it takes to build up a colony, should stay at the same rate to prevent people from building up colonies and terraforming projects even faster.

- As the game advances, and we get to higher tier techs, and get more advanced bases with better technology, then workers should also have improved work environment, which should cause them to be more effective, and work faster, and better.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:15 pm
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

I honestly think it would make more sense to remove max workforce, then increase build times for things that only allowed 1 worker. Reward teams that put the most effort into their prods, and make people think a bit when building stuff. They would have to prioritize builds, not just use every BP they possibly can. You could then build things far faster if you put effort into making an amazing prod. Makes MFM a more desirable skill, and gives those people who are OCD about making the greatest possible bases something to do.

If this went in, it would also be nice to have some kind of "construction priority", a 1-100 slider bar that you can set the importance of something on, allowing the base to distribute the workforce in the best way possible. The priority would be set when construction started (50 default), but it would be visible on the construction tab, and could be adjusted at any time by anyone with construction privileges in the base.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:21 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

The Lost One wrote:
We just discussed this in moderator chat. A few points to add.

- This will make it possible for people to work as full time builders, and have a business based around building. People that buy commodities and raw gear from players, and then build new items with it, just to sell the finished product they built.

- Colony blueprints, and anything that has to do with lowering the time it takes to build up a colony, should stay at the same rate to prevent people from building up colonies and terraforming projects even faster.

- As the game advances, and we get to higher tier techs, and get more advanced bases with better technology, then workers should also have improved work environment, which should cause them to be more effective, and work faster, and better.

I like him.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:04 pm
Main: Spatzz
Level: 3104

I greatly agree. Few things are more annoying in a game then artifical difficulty. In the sense that if you have everything needed, a sweet production base and a lot of workers not doing anything you should be able to pound out a project rather quickly. Max workforces are just a little silly.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:12 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: MathNerd
Level: 3282

Chaosking3 wrote:
I greatly agree. Few things are more annoying in a game then artifical difficulty. In the sense that if you have everything needed, a sweet production base and a lot of workers not doing anything you should be able to pound out a project rather quickly. Max workforces are just a little silly.

/agree

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:25 pm
Team: Red Faction
Main: Paladin's Presence
Level: 3937

Honestly, the only thing tht bothers me about builds currently is that t21 takes fr less time to build than t20. In my opinion just doubling all max workforces would suffice.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 pm
Main: Spatzz
Level: 3104

Even t21 forces you to take to much time. 1 week is sweet but my teams prod can go way faster. Why not give us the option?

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:58 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

Pretty sure the 2x build rate is still in. Unless very recently they took it out.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:54 pm
Main: Beelz
Level: 1

that recent failed patch seems to have removed it.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:58 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Teh Haxzorz
Level: 2443

Yet another suggestion about build times that I agree with. There's enough artificial difficulty in this game, it's about time that this was paid some attention. Whether it's decreasing how long a manhour is, or removing max workforce, either would be satisfactory imo. Though enkelins suggestion is probably best. Keep it simple!

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:30 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Bump

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Bump!

Can an admin provide a good reason why this shouldn't be put in? I can't think of any.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:02 am
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3332

Grunt wrote:
Bump!

Can an admin provide a good reason why this shouldn't be put in? I can't think of any.

I'm not an admin but I can give you a ood reasong why this shouldn't be in.... It's a stupid idea.

There should be no max workforce, no manhours, no nothing, just let us have insta builds. Seriously, there would not be a SINGLE PLAYER in starsonata that isn't a complete mental defective that wouldn't want insta-builds. GIVE US WHAT WE WANT.

Time Warp

/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:50 am

Mail wrote:
I'm not an admin but I can give you a ood reasong why this shouldn't be in.... It's a stupid idea.

There should be no max workforce, no manhours, no nothing, just let us have insta builds. Seriously, there would not be a SINGLE PLAYER in starsonata that isn't a complete mental defective that wouldn't want insta-builds. GIVE US WHAT WE WANT.

Time Warp

While I agree that no max workforce etc would be nice, they would have to add in an option to set a max workforce of your own. Because personally I don't want builds requiring a lot of prom periodically to keep on asking me to manually buy from ai bases all the time.

While this shouldn't be a problem to add in C2 maybe, a nice and easy short term solution would be what enk has suggested

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:56 am