Team: Eminence Front
Main: Tallon
Level: 5611

Post PvP Arena
We all know I was a pvper, problem is pvp is dying in Star Sonata with attempts to keep it alive people like Jey organising events which was a hit but no one has the time to make. I have been looking for a solution to this problem and I actually looked to WoW for inspiration.

An Arena Galaxy where people can join up as a pvp team (without having to leave there main team) and fight other pvp teams in an arena you could have 2v2s 3v3s etc to the size of perhaps 15 people?

Benefits? perhaps you can get pvp specific gear that can only be used in Arenas.
Titles gaining titles after your name for winning certain amount of fights.

Thoughts?

Tallon

Last edited by Dancmpbll on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: PvP
There is only one drawback to this suggestion, and that is that it will require a lot of coding to implement (at least, I would think so). I would absolutely love to see this made a priority once the basic issues with C2 have been eliminated.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:00 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

It absolutely baffles me how the admins are trying to keep pvp alive when they add safeguards like the new GG system which virtually eliminates the need for pirating.
~Preter

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:03 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Camsy wrote:
It absolutely baffles me how the admins are trying to keep pvp alive when they add safeguards like the new GG system which virtually eliminates the need for pirating.
~Preter

Once it's calibrated, piracy will be more lucrative than ever. Stay on topic.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:04 pm

anilv wrote:
There is only one drawback to this suggestion, and that is that it will require a lot of coding to implement (at least, I would think so). I would absolutely love to see this made a priority once the basic issues with C2 have been eliminated.

Oh no doubt about it but it could be the next "big" project like Olympus was.

Tallon

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:40 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: Narcotic
Level: 5653

I really like the idea of a pvp arena type event and some kind of pvp incentives would be great.

Based on that arena type event perhaps there could be something like a king of the hill scenario? The object being holding a base in a specific arena type galaxy. If a team can successfully hold it for a length of time (maybe a day?) they would get a loot based reward. Or something similar along those lines.

On another note perhaps allowing players that pvp successfully to have a slight increase in better loot from boss drops? Perhaps it could be influenced by the glory score, or success in the pvp arena originally mentioned by Tallon.

Even if those ideas are not viable I really think the original post has a lot of potential and would love to see something like that.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:21 pm

kaz wrote:
I really like the idea of a pvp arena type event and some kind of pvp incentives would be great.

Based on that arena type event perhaps there could be something like a king of the hill scenario? The object being holding a base in a specific arena type galaxy. If a team can successfully hold it for a length of time (maybe a day?) they would get a loot based reward. Or something similar along those lines.

On another note perhaps allowing players that pvp successfully to have a slight increase in better loot from boss drops? Perhaps it could be influenced by the glory score, or success in the pvp arena originally mentioned by Tallon.

Even if those ideas are not viable I really think the original post has a lot of potential and would love to see something like that.

I quite like the idea of the king of the hill but i think a day is too long looking at previous pvp and wars they can go on for years this shouldn't be long at all an hour at the most i would say.

The loot from the boss' is also something that can be a lil broken for those who don't want to pvp they will feel left behind in gear and items etc.
perhaps carrying a signet in your inventory will have boss' a chance to drop a piece or pieces of pvp loot this should also encourage those who love the pvp not to miss out on the pve content aswell as give those who want to pvp but have very little pvp experience to gear up and not just be obliterated in the arena by season'd pvpers.

On the Signets they should be something you can buy at any ai base for the basic pvp loot.

For the seasoned pvper perhaps a special pvp signet they can by at an ai base situated in the arena galaxy which you must have a certain amount of glory in order to purchase it this would allow the experienced pvpers to get more powerful loot from boss'
Making sure the dedicated do not feel tht the glory etc they built up in the arena was not for nothing and not have so me guy who has bought the signet and camped boss's for the best pvp gear and just walks in and kills everyone. Of course this would be ALOT of work and something that could be added later on down the line.

Tallon

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:54 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Lord Runningclam
Level: 4185

I love this idea. I would be especially interested in it if there was a loot incentive - I think there's huge potential in it, and as long as the player gets something or has the possibility of getting something to make the time spent worth their while, there's really no limit to the number of specific "games" that could be a part of this - I like the King of the Hill idea

Also, I would suggest an "odd man" game - basically, everyone starts off a distance away from a central object like some sort of neural key sync that automatically dropped off your ship if you were podded. The goal of the game then becomes to hold onto the object as long as possible - the game would end when someone held it for say 10 min - this would be really interesting to see how the classes would interact.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:21 pm

^ Would fail because of seer that could just run into empty space and sit still for 10mins

Blue Dwarf wrote:

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:27 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

SS version of LoL/HoN/AROL.

I'll drum up a rough concept.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:27 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Lord Runningclam
Level: 4185

Camsy wrote:
^ Would fail because of seer that could just run into empty space and sit still for 10mins

With people's current gear and augging, yes. However, people will just have to make a radar augged ship to combat it - if the "arena" is well enough designed, it could lead to a whole new type of invention and ship design. If the incentives are strong, people will be willing to do it - it all comes down to the prizes/loot/rewards available to people to reward them for their efforts.

I'll also point out that if people start specifically designing ships for this kind of thing, it would be an EXCELLENT boost to the in-game economy.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:35 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: Narcotic
Level: 5653

In hindsight maybe a day would be far to long for a king of the hill scenario.. So yeah, either make it short and bloody or run for a while and at the end the team that held it for the longest gets the spoils of victory.

Im really fond of the idea of successful pvp resulting in some kind of minor yet worthwhile bonus in other areas of the game. Not that these rewards have to be overwhelming or crippling for those who do not want to pvp. But (and i am basicly just paraphrasing clam here), something to the extent that would result in if a player chose to devote time/effort towards pvp scenarios it would bring a possible tangible reward in other aspects of the game. So you are really fighting over something. It would be great if this became a heavily fought over aspect of the game with people designing ships just for such scenarios.

I feel a pve type bonus would be something everyone would want to fight for as opposed to purely pvp gains. I dont see why there couldnt be potentially both pve/pvp rewards. If anything I quite like the idea that successful pvp can result in a signet which results in the chance of gaining better pvp gear dropping. For sure some form of glory based (or similar gauge of pvp success) reward would be awesome. I just feel frommy perspective a pve reward would be more attractive to players overall.

Something like increased chances for mods, slightly better loot chances, maybe a xp reward/bonus xp from kills, a chance for end game loot drops or even that a victorious team/group of players would have the chance to fight a unique boss. And none of that has to be permanent, a few days until a week sounds reasonable length of bonus.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Okay, this doesnt work.
1, because no matter how much radar you have if a seer headed into deep space gets there, youre messed.
and two, because if you organized events like this, why could you just convince the other side to give up? you could get all the prizes you needed just by making a deal with the other team.

~Preter

Blue Dwarf wrote:

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:28 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

i skimmed the idea and responses.

are we sure that pvp is not going to be lucrative with the system they have planned already?

i might have read it wrong, but you drop the scraps equivalent to the repair costs... so atm repair costs are diddly on purpose because they didn't want to penalize us in the temp uni for testing stuff. so as i see it once they fix the repair costs to appropriate lvls pirates might get paid well enough for killing ships.

pirates kill scoutties.. get nothing --------- something we all won't mind
pirates kill something endgame like a zerk ---- get paid 300m or so (think the costs were planned to be slightly escalated if you had uber gear)

sumup: pirates that can pirate on good players (or group pirate) might get paid really well (i hope). there's no incentive to kill noobs or scout ships cause no payoff.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Lady Gaga
Level: 3614

less risk = more pvp

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 pm