over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Spare parts vs. credits
On a particularly unfortunate Olympus run on my Sniper, I tried using some spare parts that had dropped to repair my gear. Even with a large number of them collected by the whole squad, I was barely able to improve my energy (Zeus Olympios) by 5%.

Proposal
Get rid of spare parts. When a player dies, credits fall off the ship with total worth of the parts that currently drop. You can repair equipment on the fly using credits, but it costs more than it does when you're docked.

Remarks
-Even though the credits that drop on death are generated, they have less total value than the cost of repairs that the player will eventually have to incur.
-Another way to make spare parts work is to pack them in crates. However, that's much clumsier than this system and I don't see any real advantage to it.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:02 pm
Dev Team
Main: SuperCow
Level: 25

Post Re: Spare parts vs. credits
There's already been a few team discussions on this and we'll probably announce a few possible upcoming changes in the near future.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:08 pm
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

The parts system could be brilliant, but it seems poorly designed and implemented at present. It would be great is someone could say something more about how long it's going to take to get this in.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:27 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: thebattler36
Level: 2015

Precursor wrote:
There's already been a few team discussions on this and we'll probably announce a few possible upcoming changes in the near future.

Add GG requirements back in for level 200+

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:29 pm
over 9000!

Thanks, Precursor. I am aware that the repair system is being worked on and hope that we can get the player base thinking about solutions before any "ultimatum" from the dev team.

Battler: The main reason GG is gone is that it's a high-variance loss system, and that variance only increases with level. When I was f2p, losing an Enforcer Radar cost me several hours to replace. In the endgame, losing a high-tier Heph weapon could take months to replace. Your suggestion would defeat the whole purpose of the change.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:36 pm

anilv wrote:
Thanks, Precursor. I am aware that the repair system is being worked on and hope that we can get the player base thinking about solutions before any "ultimatum" from the dev team.

Battler: The main reason GG is gone is that it's a high-variance loss system, and that variance only increases with level. When I was f2p, losing an Enforcer Radar cost me several hours to replace. In the endgame, losing a high-tier Heph weapon could take months to replace. Your suggestion would defeat the whole purpose of the change.

You deserve to lose your heph weapon in that case.
People lost emp rays when they forgot GG before.

Removal of gg is just more carebearing.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:45 pm
over 9000!

I'd request that you show my suggestion thread the same respect that I've shown yours. If you want to argue for the (unlikely) reinstatement of gear glue, that belongs in a thread that is not entitled "spare parts vs. credits."

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

Removal of gear glue for the parts system is good in theory, but it's a much much harder pill to swallow when the parts system is incomplete/poorly implemented or whatever went wrong with it.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:55 pm

anilv wrote:
I'd request that you show my suggestion thread the same respect that I've shown yours. If you want to argue for the (unlikely) reinstatement of gear glue, that belongs in a thread that is not entitled "spare parts vs. credits."

I apologise, I only wanted to reply to precursor. I shall desist.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:59 pm
Team: Traders
Main: the speed of dark
Level: 2833

But ai scoop credits :-/ I don't think they scoop parts

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:57 pm
over 9000!

a jedi master wrote:
But ai scoop credits :-/ I don't think they scoop parts

True, but I don't think this is a big deal. Most people aren't able to get back in their ships before the parts vanish anyway.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:52 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

Weren't they suppose to adjust the amount it takes to repair along with how many parts you drop?

If a tech 21 ship dies with a ton of gear on it, it should drop an absolute ton of parts. Heck why don't they make large parts as well?

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:58 pm
Main: iArcea
Level: 13268

Love this suggestion.

- Get rid of parts completely.
- Repair using bank credits, costing x2 or above of docked repair cost.
- Bump up repair cost so that say 125m is spread across your gear if 1 item T21 is onboard.
- Add a 'repair all' option.
- Add a 'repair percentage' ( 5% ) instead of 'repair 1 death'.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:53 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

thebattler35 wrote:
anilv wrote:

You deserve to lose your heph weapon in that case.
People lost emp rays when they forgot GG before.

Removal of gg is just more carebearing.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:32 pm
over 9000!

anilv wrote:

Disappointed, goett.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:48 pm