Do you support the proposal? (Don't vote if you are undecided)
Yes 81%  81%  [ 35 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 43

over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Account-wide credits
Proposal
Link the credits of all characters on the same account. Dying without a pod no longer drops credits deducted from the player's wealth. Repair costs (and hence value of parts dropped) are increased accordingly so that piracy is at least as lucrative on average.

Remarks
-The value of a pod would now simply be the added maneuverability and speed. I don't have a problem with this, but if the glory system is ever reworked, dying without a pod could cause a bigger hit to your glory than otherwise, and killing a pod would likewise give a bigger boost.
-With the removal of gear glue, this is a natural measure to take. The practice of making bank alts / bank teams is a natural but unnecessary strategy that players have invented to avoid considerable credit loss. The current system does work, but it might as well be pared down with the added benefit of account-wide credits.
-While it will no longer be possible to directly take other players' credits, a good heuristic for wealth is the value of equipped items, which PvPers now have direct access to through the durability system. So killing wealthier players in their combat setups will still pay better than killing poorer players, in general.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Last edited by anilv on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:09 pm
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

Post Re: Account-wide credits
anilv wrote:
Proposal
Link the credits of all characters on the same account. Dying without a pod no longer drops credits deducted from the player's wealth. Repair costs (and hence value of parts dropped) are increased accordingly so that piracy is at least as lucrative on average.

Remarks
-The value of a pod would now simply be the added maneuverability and speed. I don't have a problem with this, but if the glory system is ever reworked, dying without a pod could cause a bigger hit to your glory than otherwise, and killing a pod would likewise give a bigger boost.
-With the removal of gear glue, this is a natural measure to take. The practice of making bank alts / bank teams is a natural but unnecessary strategy that players have invented to avoid considerable credit loss. The current system does work, but it might as well be pared down with the added benefit of account-wide credits.
-While it will no longer be possible to directly take other players' credits, a good heuristic for wealth is the value of equipped items, which PvPers now have direct access to through the durability system. So killing wealthier players in their combat setups will still pay better than killing poorer players, in general.

This idea is brilliant. You should add yes/no/maybe polls so we can throw a percentage result at the devmins?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 pm
over 9000!

Bump for comments/votes.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:19 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

So killing a wealthier players lower lvl alt nets more than it would otherwise?

I'd like some more info. Possibly an ie.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 pm
over 9000!

goett wrote:
So killing a wealthier players lower lvl alt nets more than it would otherwise?

I'd like some more info. Possibly an ie.

Current system:
Player enters pod: spare parts drop with worth proportional to worth of equipped gear.
Player enters spirit: fraction of player's credits drop

New system:
Player enters pod: credits drop with worth proportional to worth of equipped gear. NOT from player's bank.
Player enters spirit: No additional effects.

In other words, instead of dropping parts you just drop credits equal to the resale value of the parts. You can also repair your gear on the fly just using credits, though it costs more than when you're docked. I'm essentially asking to cut out the middle man of spare parts. Note that the credits generated on your death do NOT cause inflation since the dead player will have to spend more than what was dropped in repair costs. It's a net credit sink.

Finally, the cost of death will be increased a bit to make up for the lack of player-credits dropping in spirit form. Essentially, we will all be taxed in repair costs instead of paying a variable amount per PvP death based on the credits we are currently carrying. Either way, the PvP aggressor still gets paid.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

just cut out the parts completely? long as you can repair on the go as you say then sounds good.

/signed

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:16 pm
over 9000!

I just realized I sort of conflated my two suggestions on this topic. This one doesn't need spare parts to be removed for it to work, although I am also in favor of that.

New system:
Player enters pod: spare parts drop with worth proportional to worth of equipped gear.

Once again, the cost of repairs (and hence the value of spare parts dropped) would be increased somewhat to offset the fact that players will no longer drop credits.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:20 pm
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

anilv wrote:

Dislike, want something!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:12 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

You get extra glory or somesuch. Yay.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!

anilv wrote:

I've intentionally left this vague since it goes beyond the purview of my suggestion, which is to make credits account-wide.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:31 pm
over 9000!

Bumping for more votes/review. If you are undecided and haven't voted, post your concerns.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:29 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: brindlebull
Level: 5143

I dont know what this spare parts business is in the first place, so i'm just going to leave this thread

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 pm
over 9000!

I should emphasize that this suggestion doesn't have to do with spare parts. The only connection is that it involves the death mechanic, which currently involves spare parts.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:32 pm
over 9000!

bump for more comments/votes.

How long till this thread gets a dev response?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:49 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

Well I'd say 89% to 10% should be an indication that account wide credits should be implemented. I think it's a great idea personally. Removes the hassle of transferring credits or having a low level "money alt" since people just give their noobs the best shit and spoil their arts anyway. I don't know about removing credits dropped upon death, it kind of removes the point of piracy, or pvp in general. Possibly make glory profitable?

I have an idea, how about making the account wide credits exponentially increase. And have the amount of glory you have be the determining factor of the rate at which your money increases per tick. Like a savings account in a bank or something. It would give an incentive for people to be on guard, and also an incentive to pvp.

But then there's the problem of people killing travel ships for glory :P

- Paxx

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:41 am