Team: Traders
Main: ERMAN
Level: 8524

Post Queue up system for PvP?
First off, I don't in any way wish to eliminate PvP from the "regular" places like wild space and perilous space...

But other games have a queue up system where you can choose to enter into pvp to have some fun.

There could be a price to do this, where if you win the encounter you get your money back plus the money of your opponent.

Could use an algorithm to match ships. where ships simply cant be matched any farther, you could remove shiled from the stronger ship to give it a disadvantage compared to the weaker ship. Just an example. Help me with this one.

This would also allow teams to fight one another in fun, entertaining, not vengeful combat.

When you queue up, it should send you to an arena layer where there are several gals, maybe 8 in a nice conformation (which you already have on your map, no need for exploaration). Make the gals have various attributes, probably mostly normal vis, maybe 2 low vis and 2 high vis to accomodate all fighting styles.

Put a timer on it depending on the number of players in the PvP instance. If there is more than one player left alive after the timer, then all players lose their entrance fee and the instance ends. this will prevent people who are seers for instance from just sitting in the dark gals, or on the flip side prevent SDs from just sitting in the bright gals wiating for people to come to them. Players will have to get out and fight before the timer runs out or risk losing all their winnings!!

I had a thought about standardized ships? Not an ideal situation, but maybe an option for when you cue up, you can choose your own setup or a standardized one? standard ships go into combat together and then regular ships go into combat together, no mixing there.

Could make a ladder showing people with most kill points, where you get more points for killing players of higher level. Could be abused by people entering into pvp combat with high leveled MfM alts to just kill them for ladder points. Please help me come up with a solution here, or just nix the ladder idea.

I think a system like this could be great for the whole PvP issue. Could maybe find a way to connect this idea to the emp system downt he road, maybe a merger with biggee's idea somehow? again, please help with ideas here.

I want to have some fun PvP where people dont shit themselves with retarded vengence and ruin all the other aspects of the game over what could be some fun time spent shooting eachother and wagering/winning some creds.

Help me flesh this idea out please and maybe we can get a resurgence of some entertaining/competitive PvP.

-ERMAN

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:05 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Queue up system for PvP?
Just signed.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:27 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

erman wrote:
There could be a price to do this, where if you win the encounter you get your money back plus the money of your opponent.

This sounds exploitable if you use alts to kill yourself, but I like the whole idea along with the ladder, everyone loves ladders. Yes its potentially exploitable to kill your alts to get kill points, but it won't take long for people to realise that someone who they've never seen fight is sitting at the top of the ladder. Also maybe have it that several people enter this instance and for each kill a person gets they get that persons entrance fee? So the more people you kill the more money you get until you either win or get killed yourself.

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:41 pm

If you got the money from your alt, why would that be abusable? just seems like a really involved way of transferring creds between alts.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

The main problem would be to get people to use it regularly. WIth such a small player base, you might be stuck waiting a long time for an opponent. That's why it would be cool if this were tied in with biggee's Emp Run suggestion, so people are inclined to participate.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:12 pm
Main: the speed of dark
Level: 2833

Sounds really interesting, kinda reminds me of runescape mix between duel arena and wilderness area.

I don't think there'd be any issues with not enough players since many people log on bored (especially lately) anyways and want to go do something, a designated pvp area serves that purpose

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Would love to have a dev chime in and give their opinion on whether or not this is a possibility.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:33 pm
Profile WWW

Bump

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: brindlebull
Level: 5143

Sounds neat, what do you think about having item rewards for people who do well in these? Maybe ones you can only use while in these sort of battles.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:27 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

I've been thinking about something like this. I didn't play WoW that much, but when I did, the battlegrounds were my favorite part. They seem to get a lot of the good things about PvP in there like generally even teams, willingness to PvP on both sides, and no losses so it's pure fun. What they miss is having any meaning to the game as a whole. It's really basically just a mini-game, but a fun a mini-game.

While I would like to have something like that for SS in theory, the two big problems is how to actually implement it, and lack of sufficient players to actually fill up a queue of people looking for a battleground. I honestly don't really see a way to pull this off in a workable way any time soon.

I've been thinking of something a little bit different, but along the same lines in a way. This is still kind of a vague idea and not fleshed out, but I was thinking of a dedicated PvP layer where no building is allowed and some special galaxies that spawn goodies on a regular basis. So basically, instead of signing up for a queue and waiting for someone else to also sign up, you know that every hour on the hour, there's something good that will spawn somewhere and you go there to try to get it. If other people go there, then you can fight, and if no one else goes there, then you get it for free. Possibly the entire PvP layer would be and arena, so no one would lose anything, hopefully making it more for fun and less annoying, but I don't know about that.

This PvP layer would be the counterpart to wild space. While wild space is where you build and pvp tends to have major impact in the game, the new one would be no building and more for fun. As such, it would fulfill the niche of battlegrounds in that you can go there and mess around against other people if you're bored without much impact. The downsides is that a big team could go in there and just slaughter people, but maybe if the rewards were more limited it wouldn't be worth it for them. The upside is that it's something you could always do, where a queue just might never get filled with the current player base.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: brindlebull
Level: 5143

I believe there would always be a team that would group up and get the reward each time since they are bored enough to. If people bother with colo, they would most definitely do it for an actual reward.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Unless there is some kind of control as to the number of players on a "side" and the strength of those characters, the system will fail.

A layer won't work imo.

You will either have no one there because the item that spawns is insignificant, or you'll have some super stealthy guy in a wing4 with nothing to lose there to scoop it.

-or-

One team will have 20 people there to guarantee they get the item if its really worth the trouble.

It needs to be instanced and controlled for quality of the matches or it will just end up being another stupid system that no one uses. Please don't try a layer, it will fail for either of the aforementioned reasons.

a command such as "/enterpvp" could be used which would add you to a list that is globally available perhaps in the social tab and lists those also looking for pvp. once the number gets to 4 or 8 then it sends those players into an 8 gal instance where they all fight to the death. Could also allow maybe 2 people go to battle after a certain period of time that they have waited for others to join (might be useful for off-peak hours, like 3 AM EST)

I'm happy you think this is a good idea, I just beg of you to put some time to it and do it right so that the system you do implement doesn't just get wasted. Thanks!

-ERMAN

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

the difficulty will be implementing a "layer" that cannot be camped by one big team under threat of war to the others.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:38 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Biggee's idea...or whoever it was' idea was:

Cannot see non teammate's team, name, or level, and when you exit, you're kicked out of one of the 50+ random exits.

Then add in a 30sec non pvp, but complete stealth aura, and a auto-mark system, and the only way for Wex to threaten a team is to war every other team in game including Blueberry!

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:05 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Biggee's idea...or whoever it was' idea was:

Cannot see non teammate's team, name, or level, and when you exit, you're kicked out of one of the 50+ random exits.

Then add in a 30sec non pvp, but complete stealth aura, and a auto-mark system, and the only way for Wex to threaten a team is to war every other team in game including Blueberry!

I like this idea, I was also thinking maybe something along the lines of capture the flag. Every 3 hours or so the entire layer becomes accessible to all players, all the players who enter the layer during this period get put into random team/squad groups with players joining a certain squad depending on their level (eg if the only people who enter the layer in the time period are a lvl 3.5k and 7 level 500 players than one group will have all 7 lvl 500 players and the lvl 3.5k will be on a team on his own)

Once the time from the opening of the layer has passed (10min time or something) and all the groups have been sorted, the players in one team (this applys to all teams) get together and are given a random team name, flag and playernames (playernames should be linked somehow to team names to make it easy to identify a person to their team) The group then gets a 3 minute stratigy/planning time to talk together (this all happens in 1 galaxy per team/squad) Once the stratigy time is up the players are then able to warp out of their galaxy into a straight chain of galaxies.

This is where the PvP commenses and again I'll say that this is based on capture the flag. Players try to from their gal (We'll call it Gal 1 for now) to the oppositions galaxy (Named Gal 6) These gals are connected together in 1 straight line (gal1-gal2-gal3...) At each end is a scoopable item (named -teamnames flag-) Scooping it will make a symbol appear on your ship so the other players can identify that you have the flag. Once you have the flag you have to get back to your own team's galaxy and dock at a base to finish the flag run. This ends the game and all players are booted out of the layer.

~What happens in between~ While players are trying to get the other teams flag there is endless pvp going on. If you are killed then you automatically respawn back at your teams galaxy (auto respawn means faster gameplay and more action for all involved) And your free to continue trying to get the other team/squads flag. Once a player has obtained the flag and attempts to get back to their own gal, they can be killed. If this happens they'll respawn back at their own gal, but the flag is dropped where they died. The flag can then be scooped by either friendly team mates that will continue to try and return the flag to the base. Or the enemy who will scoop the flag which will automatically return the flag to the teams gal (This is so a player doesnt carry the flag around with them)

~Why would someone do this game?~ So I've explained how the game works, now I answer why someone would want to play this game in the first place. The reason is simple and one that I'm sure would make many players happy. The answer is credits! Basically the team that wins the capture the flag game will be given credits. These credits will be relitive to the players level and how active they were in the game. (Again I'm not good at formulas but something with the players level, how many times they killed another player, the amount of times they held the flag, number of times they returned a flag to their own base and if they were the one to bring the flag home (possibly not this suggestion as it would cause inteam conflict for who holds the flag) Basically the payout should be enough to attract both low leveled and high leveled players.
Once the players have either won or lost/booted out of the game they recieve the credits and like in whoever's suggestion it was, the players appear in all random places, this means that if the player wants to, they can boast all they want that they were the winning player, or they can just go quietly on their way with their winnings.

Optional Stuff: Possibly holding the flag causes a reduction in speed, damage and/or shields.
At any time a player can dock at their teams station and choose to leave the game. This means they'll get a small credit payout but nothing in comparison to staying to the end of the game.
For the player who returns the flag they are given a star or something on their name. Cause everyone loves stars :P
A consolation prize for the losing team as well in the form of credits.
Another possibility is that you could have multiple teams playing all at once, with a middle galaxy connecting all the teams galaxys by about 3 warps. This would mean a team that has their flag captured would be booted out of the game but the team who captured the flag would continue on to be able to capture more flags and therefore get more credits.

I think this is just about the longest comment I've ever written... fewf.

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:18 pm