Team: The League Of Gentlemen
Main: Fold
Level: 1588

Post Accessibility To New Players
I want to talk for a moment about the game's issues with accessibility to new players.
When I started the game I brought two of my friends along, they were both immediately turned off by a number of factors, starting with user interface bugs, such as:

-The inventory selection bug (the box highlighting the item does not update properly)
-The object selection bug (objects do not have correct priority, so it can be impossible to select an enemy inside of a sun, etc.)
-Universe map bugs (lines are being drawn in all sorts of strange places, no closing mechanism on the map window)

Many of us who play the game regularly have found workarounds to these problems, many others simply won't put up with such annoyances and move on. Such is the case with one of my two friends. Most of these bugs have already been reported and hopefully will be fixed, but I wanted to emphasize the importance of having a clean user interface to attracting new players.

The next issue is not quite as simple:

I feel as though the Nexus missions (the tutorial, if you will) are not preparing players for the world that lies beyond. Inside the Nexus, almost all game play is driven by explicit instructions: Kill some of those things, collect some of these things, go to this place. In contrast outside the Nexus missions take a back seat in priority and one must find one's own way. The rough transition between these two styles is like suddenly switching games on the player, resulting in confusion about what to do next; this is essentially what caused my other friend to lose interest in the game as well.

My suggestion for the intro is to make the missions less explicit about what the player must do, allowing the players to make their own decisions and think about formulating their own goals.

Instead of:
-Kill a number of specific enemies
-Collect a number of specific drops
-Go to a specific place to get a localized/specialized mission
We could have:
-Kill any enemies until a specific experience level is reached
-Earn a specific amount of money
-Collect mission tokens from nearby systems

By not specifying which enemies to fight, the player must decide which enemies are too dangerous and which to go after. The player has a few options to make money such as trading, dungeon galaxies, or simply grinding AI; we should let the player decide which method works best for his/her playing style. By not specifying exactly where to go to earn tokens we make the player explore and search. With a bit of cleverness we can insert "lesson nodes" in neighboring galaxies which can have mini-missions (which reward tokens) on things like DGs, drones, slaves, and other important mechanics which are missing from the current curriculum. Finally, make the player seek out different places with the neuro-training levels needed.

Once the players earn enough tokens they can open the gate and go into the universe, confident that they now know: how to choose enemies to fight and advance levels, how to make money, and how to explore, on their own, without needing a specific write-up telling them to do so.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 am
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

Post Re: Accessibility To New Players
/signed

Aren't suggestions supposed to have a tl;dr? Or something similar, as i get it devmins dont bother to read long texts.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:22 am
Team: Traders
Main: Thermal
Level: 5942

Posts like these are very valuable to the developers of this game for sure, and they will take time to read it, or someone else will notify them of the main points raised in the topic.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:40 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

xerion567 wrote:
-Universe map bugs (lines are being drawn in all sorts of strange places, no closing mechanism on the map window)

This happend right after the christmas patch went in, it should be fixed next patch.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:00 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

Actually, i saw lines in weird spaces a lot before.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:52 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

Priority clicking won't work even if they change the selection priority.

They need to change it so that you can click multiple times to select a different target(underneath it). That way you can't accidently click a stasised ship over a station and be unable to dock until you select the sun or warp...

That and change the whole priority thing. If we can't scoop our intended target from space issues, let us scoop the other thing sitting right under us like we used to be able to do.

If we can't dock at the stasised ship, just dock us at the ai station like we used to be able to do.

Not that hard of a code fix, would make the game more playable.

Thought they would keep the other code in the client and just do the 3D thing. Surely you could just go into the old client code and copy and paste in the old scooping and docking procedures. Please? I'm sure warp is the same way with selection... Though there'd never be a time it would matter any time soon. lol

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:15 pm