Do you like the idea of a Drone Repair System?
Poll ended at Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 am
Yes 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
No 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Unsure 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

Post Drone Repair System
Running on from a few ideas in the "Nerf drone dps and make them cheaper" thread.

Proposal:
Instead of drones "exploding" when shields are reduced to zero, drones become"damaged" (similar to bases), but still able to be scooped.

The Engineer then must use a "Drone Repair Module" or similar item, requiring one of the original drone and maybe some other commods/credits.

Reasons:
-Low level players have a tough time with Engineer (losing a high percentage of networth when drones are killed - something Jeff indicated he hated about the gear glue system, risk of massive gear loss).

- Losses on death is out-of-line with players of similar level and power.
(a Fleet Commander or Shield Monkey has to simply repair slaves now, no gg. A Engineer is the only person who risks their dps being destroyed.)

- Engineer is designed as a "support" class, with drone mastery a sub-skill. In my opinion, drones need to be made weaker and cost less so more supportive tactics are adopted by todays Engineers. (i.e. no more soloing Rhino, etc.)

example:
[Drone Name] Repair Module
Uses: 10
Repairs a Damaged [Drone Name] to 100%.

Built from a [Drone Name] Repair Module Blueprint
Cost to build: 1 x [Drone Name]

This way, the Engineer can suffer the same repair costs as a player of similar ability (with a reduce to drone power compensating the decrease in cost/risk).

tl;dr
Drones get damaged instead of exploding, and can be repaired for a percentage of the cost. Drones can get a % nerf to reflect the new value of the drones.

NOTE: assuming the current ship repair system (that replaced gg) is going to be fixed and proceeding as planned.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:21 am
Team: Traders
Main: Thermal
Level: 5942

Post Re: Drone Repair System
If gear can be repaired with parts or credits, then drones should as well. The part about balancing drones based on their DPS is a bad idea. If you wanna change the DPS of drones, you will also lower the HPS of drones, and therefore weaken the overall balance.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 am
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3332

seanla4350 wrote:
If gear can be repaired with parts or credits, then drones should as well. The part about balancing drones based on their DPS is a bad idea. If you wanna change the DPS of drones, you will also lower the HPS of drones, and therefore weaken the overall balance.

Drones should come no where near the HPS of a shield monkey.

Timmeh

/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:52 am

You need to learn the difference between HPS and sustainable HPS before you make comments like that Time Warp.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:56 am

seanla4350 wrote:
You need to learn the difference between HPS and sustainable HPS before you make comments like that Time Warp.

Ofcourse! Forgive me for my ommission: Drones should come no where near the HPS or Sustainable HPS of a shield monkey.

Suffice?

Timmeh

/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:12 am

Better. I agree that they should not have the sustainable HPS of a Shield Monkey, but an Armada Charge putting out some 10-15k HPS with the Rhino Restructuranter I don't see anything wrong with. The HPS they get with Armada Wands isn't that amazing.

The main advantage the Shield Monkey has is the ability to sustain the 10k+ HPS, while the Armada Charge Drones can keep a sustainable HPS which is maybe 20-30% of that.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

drones should not be repairable on the move with parts

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:29 am
Profile WWW

seanla4350 wrote:
Better. I agree that they should not have the sustainable HPS of a Shield Monkey, but an Armada Charge putting out some 10-15k HPS with the Rhino Restructuranter I don't see anything wrong with. The HPS they get with Armada Wands isn't that amazing.

The main advantage the Shield Monkey has is the ability to sustain the 10k+ HPS, while the Armada Charge Drones can keep a sustainable HPS which is maybe 20-30% of that.

Without getting too caught up in classes, Shield Moneky should be the pinacle of healing, Sniper Range, Seer Stealth blah blah blah...

Timmeh

/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:35 am

Mail wrote:
Drones should come no where near the HPS of a shield monkey.

Timmeh

Exactly.

sabre198 wrote:

Agreed, I would expect the "Repair Module" to be locked to base use only.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:55 am
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Madridista wrote:
sabre198 wrote:

This doesn't solve one of the main issues with the current system:

If an engineer gets killed even once while pvp'ing, he's potentially worthless until he goes and repairs his drones.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:27 am

biggee531 wrote:
Madridista wrote:
sabre198 wrote:

If an engineer gets killed even once while pvp'ing, he's potentially worthless until he goes and repairs his drones.

Maybe drone scraps could drop? Allowing drones to be repaired on-the-fly, but only up to a certain effectiveness (like 75%). And by base use only, I mean AI or User base, so it's similar to the current repair system.

I'm trying to consider start-game thru to end-game engi with this repair system.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:33 am

Mail wrote:
Without getting too caught up in classes, Shield Moneky should be the pinacle of healing, Sniper Range, Seer Stealth blah blah blah...

Timmeh

This is my opinion as well, it's an open sandbox game so everyone should be able to do everything (to an extent), but certain classes should allow for clear superiority in certain areas (i.e. ShM and healing).

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:38 am

sabre198 wrote:

Let's tweak it a bit. How about we make two types of drone repair modules. One that is a factory type for bases, and one that is a mobile factory. The mobile factory will have a way heavier cost than the non-mobile one.

Mail wrote:

Timmeh

I don't feel that these arguments have any say in this topic, nor in this game in general.

Madridista wrote:

This was one of the ideas I built on in my reply to topbuzz' comment. Locking them to bases only doesn't seem fair since it is possible to repair gear on the move.

biggee531 wrote:
Madridista wrote:
sabre198 wrote:

Now, here is an interesting one. There is a lot lacking to this argument. I will try to picture it by describing my own behavior on my Engineer some time ago while fighting pantalones in a PvB attack: After realizing that my drones could not to sufficient damage to the defenders, I chose to deploy 6 mobile grem box drones, and turn my focus away from healing and DPSing, and focus solely on tractoring and energizing - so called supportive play - in the squad I was a part of. All of my drones, and I had to redeploy new ones, but even when I ran out of drones, I did not feel useless in the fight.

Madridista wrote:
Mail wrote:

Timmeh

This is my opinion as well, it's an open sandbox game so everyone should be able to do everything (to an extent), but certain classes should allow for clear superiority in certain areas (i.e. ShM and healing).

The moment a class is able to outperform what is meant to be the strongest aspect of another class, then something is wrong. I must admit that I can see things like this happening to the Seer class, produced by the Sniper class, but it will surely be something to discuss in another thread. But as far as Engineer healing goes, you won't get close to what a Shield Monkey can do. So even comparing the healing ability (not the sustainable HPS!) that an Engineer can do, to what a Shield Monkey can do, is pretty pointless.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:19 am
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

So... Wtf? You've all gone insane somehow.

Currently- drones die they go poof
Proposed- drones don't die (already saving a droner money AND time finding more and probably crashing the trade market) AND you can repair them mobility (making an OP class even more OP so that they can pvp repeatedly)

Btw droners get hull bonus for reason, to carry multiple sets.

I am pro drone repair but this is so cush it's broken.

Be careful also, the trade system for drones is one of the most active for game. I first met topbuzz because he had arson drones for sale endlessly. I think endless repairs is bit silly. How about engi mission bps for repairs.

Ie repair charge drone bp (or mission)
Cost 1 charge drone
Periodic 5 dead charge drones
Item produced 5 healed charge drones etc

If you get into mobile repairs and balancing that you all know something will be broken and abused endlessly.

Also with bp system or mission system you program less since it's for specific drones... Ie no balancing or predicting drone costs. Take 1 healthy to heal ie 5 you don't have to price a damn thing.

teams and traders can offer these services if people don't have ie 5 at once. And will still save the droner billions. Also bases could be set to buy dead drones, anew fun market.

Making drones 'dead' they'd remain deployed but nonfunctional, you die in a dg you log, drones should pop out with you. You die in pvp you have invuln when entering after stasis to go scoop.

Last edited by goett on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:15 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

Also since it's probably all under the same code, making bps specific to drone type no programming for perma drones.

Last edited by goett on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:19 pm