Team: Eminence Front
Main: Xenodread
Level: 2605

Post Gunner 2: The Return of the Topic
Do this.
shawn_mccall wrote:
Church's idea(a damn good one btw):

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
My take on Gunner, after interviewing shawn_mccall, Masterful, and Laptop Boy.

Quote:
*Note, all items can be balanced as needed.

Part 1: Missiles.
-All missiles changed to use a Kinetic Missile as a base. Means the max damage comes from going fast. Spammers deprived of ability to deal high spamming damage.

Part 2: Damage.
Damage all across the board is increased vastly. A Gunner would do in the range of 75%-80% the damage of a Zerk. With missiles, said gunner can pull 100% the damage of a zerk.

The issue, is that while a gunner could do this kind of damage, the gunner can only do this damage in a capital ship.

The Gunner also must sit at a range to gain maximum punch from their Kinetic missile base.

Part 3: "Aggressive" Capital Ships.
A hybrid of a Heavy Fighter and a Capital. Basically, a Heavy Fighter tagged as a Capital Ship.

These "Hybrids" can take the models/graphics already in game from a few Heavy Fighters. Texture/Size is different. Personally, the size should be bigger than current HF's like rosy/zebra/wave, yet smaller than a dread/PBF/BS

Class locked Ships/BP loot can be added as needed, but a T13, T16, T19, T20, and T21 types would exist. Dreads would be seen as Fleet Focus(includes FC) ships.

Part 4: Debuffs.
Gunners would have access to Gunner-locked Aura Gens. These do not provide a field, merely take the slot. What they do is change the gunner's debuff from the default destruction to one of a various other kinds of debuffs. Unequipping any equipped gunner aura resets debuff back to default destruction.

Increase destruction to 30%(FC will still give more so don't even try and tell me it's broken, for you assholes out there), and give me more damage types on missiles already. Seriously, gunner is, and has been, the most neglected class in SS since its inception. Its about time I can at least pretend I'm useful on a run...

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 pm
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

Post Re: Gunner 2: The Return of the Topic
Whenever I think gunner, I think of this:

Attachment:
nj.JPG

With like rail guns and nuclear missiles.

My suggestion is make missiles a combination of all damage types. So not different types of missiles but the word "Missile" in star sonata is a projectile that is fired from a launcher, that gradually increases in speed up to 700 speed, and IS heat, physical, mining, etc, etc.

Also in the class skills instead of mining damage buff, just give gunners a 8% dmg buff per level for all damage types, keep the MFx2, and for god sakes change the aug stats for gunner/ fc mastery augs to increase missile and slaves combat bonuses.

everything else churchy said is spot on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 pm
Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

I strongly disagree with the majority of damage coming from weapons. As a limited resource, missiles should do the majority of the damage. On the other hand, the weapons should also be able to do significant damage, just not as much as missiles.

For example, a gunner augged to NOT use missiles should be able to do roughly 70% the damage of a gunner set up to use missiles. Any more than that, and missiles become less of a feature and more of a meaningless perk that nobody actually uses.

And missiles, conceptually, are really, really cool.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:28 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

I /disagree with some of the original post.

However, how about some augs that give bonuses to missiles. For example... missiles can be launched at higher starting speeds.

+20% Initial missile speed
+20% Missile Launch Knockback.

Might make missiles more effective at range. Just an example don't nitpick the numbers.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason missiles suck is because they are spamable. At range, you can't spam them and with stats made so that spamming isn't as broken, they suck. Not completely suck, but there is some suck. Having them start off at a higher speed would probably make it more worthwhile. Building that stat into the class skills would remove possible interesting content. As would classlocking. Gunners would just benefit more.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:02 am
Support/PR Administrator
Main: Bageese
Level: 14

paxiprime wrote:
With like rail guns and nuclear missiles.

Rail guns. Yes please. I've personally always imagined FC & Gunner to be stupidly huge battleships in comparison to all the other classes. Rail guns would be epic.

I like the idea of a discussion about gunners. We have a few people in the dev team who are pretty passionate about getting them up to par with the other classes, and a lot of really good ideas come from you guys. ^^

PS. SG-1 FTW.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:03 am
Team: Traders
Main: the speed of dark
Level: 2833

I commented on this topic just because of the Daedalus.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:14 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

I suggested Rail Guns before. AEM attempted to troll me on the matter and said they're impossible with current code. I laid out how they'd work with current code, and AEM has only made one post(the I came back post) since.

I'ma make a full pretty topic. Be prepared for The Great Wall of Churchill to be extended.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 am

make it colorful atleast! haha

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:26 am
Main: Evo
Level: 34

Idea:
1* give gunner (-1) multiplier to all aura generators and some script that would lock all auras to enemy only.
2*Change FC auras to be locked to Fleet Focus
3. ????
4. Profit!

So for example, ismail presence would give -50 hull for enemies and all FC auras could be used for debuffing

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:27 am
Main: VIP-Shm
Level: 25

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
I suggested Rail Guns before. AEM attempted to troll me on the matter and said they're impossible with current code. I laid out how they'd work with current code, and AEM has only made one post(the I came back post) since.

I'ma make a full pretty topic. Be prepared for The Great Wall of Churchill to be extended.

Aint there alredy one ingame? Jelly lazer

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:27 pm
over 9000!

Rail Gun is a gun that fires a very fast projectile(bullet). Whether or not the bullet has furtherance property is not the problem with your statement. The problem is that a LASER CANNOT USE BULLETS.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Yeah I don't know where people came up with this idea that a rail gun is a lazer that shoots through multiple objects lol

a rail gun is essentially a particle accelerator that shoots relatively light objects at blaring fast speeds to cause dmg with inertia.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:04 pm
over 9000!

paxiprime wrote:
Yeah I don't know where people came up with this idea that a rail gun is a lazer that shoots through multiple objects lol

a rail gun is essentially a particle accelerator that shoots relatively light objects at blaring fast speeds to cause dmg with inertia.

Well, the projectile does tend to punch through multiple layers of armor, but then again, so does a micro-meteorite when you get it going fast.

The Jelly Laser, say you have a target thats behind an enemy dread. You want to shoot the target but that dread is there. The furtherance property lets your laser shoot THROUGH the dread, damaging it AND the target at once.

However, a Rail Gun still isn't a laser, even if it did get a furtherance effect.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:12 pm

I like the idea of a rail gun with furtherance.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Can we expect these changes on test first, or just straight to live?

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 pm