Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

Post The Frontier
Basic idea is to move resource collection away from bases and encourage conflict.

My random trails of thought intertwined and I decided that bases should represent industry/consumers whilst collecting resources becomes a more active task.

Basically reduce the availability of resources or (I like this one) make them a fixed deposit which rapidly dwindles. Large enough for adventurous newbies to build gear and run a few colonies, yet small enough to severely limit large teams.

Now introduce a new layer dedicated to gathering resources (maybe some isolated pockets in wild space as well). Cheaper mining/defense structures are built here instead of bases. I was thinking of allowing the construction of colony bases (unattached), allowing teams to condense their galaxies more. Make them immune to tractors and require huge quantities of resources to build/operate (this balances with the increased difficulty in obtaining resources).

I suppose the idea is that metals and what not are actually worth something with this system in place. If you want to attack another team you can try and cripple their economy before going straight for their more heavily fortified industrial complexes. Right now people pretty much ignore the cost of an item in common resources or else treat it as a minor nuisance.

The major problem that I can think of would be pirates. Perhaps restrict combat to teams at war and require a certain level of infrastructure in order to declare war?

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:06 pm
Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: yclept
Level: 2002

Post Re: The Frontier
This is very interesting, but I'm not sure how to make it happen realistically in the current structure of the game. I do like the idea that resource collection and industry don't necessarily happen in the same geographical area. Perhaps this could be achieved by making the average galaxy substantially larger, so you have 20k or 30k distance to contend with in an average galaxy. Players would be forced to either leave much of their resource extraction undefended, spread their defenses thin, or else deploy many more defense bases than usual.

Such a change would definitely require an upside for the players to take to it. I am open to suggestions.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. You may know me in-game as enkelin. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:08 pm
Team: Public Enemy
Main: The Architect
Level: 157

Would need a complete commod wipe from playerbase. Not fair when the legacy players have 50K Ada banked and 500K of everything else. Don't even get me started on all the peasants people hoard every uni.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:15 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Cool concept. Not really sure how to rework all of SS to make it fit though.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:53 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Would be easier, quicker, and be more or less what the OP is looking for if Prospecting commods could be exclusively made into Prospecting "Modules" (via missions), which then combinations of would be traded in via (more) missions for finished products, as per the original Prospecting concept that got ruined by a certain game owner. Some of the modules could be used in Station Construction, but the point was to formally separate Prospecting from Extraction.

<It would also be better is Prospecting had some kind of "combat challenge" to it instead of travel ships doing all the Prospecting. Dedicated "Prospector" Industrial Freighters would be nice too.>

Prospecting dredges up a bunch of stuff that should be extraction only, which of course killed half the reason why teams go to war over galaxies (the other half being good Tier0 concentrations for SEY/Prod/Colonies). No reason to fight over Dark Matter, etc anymore if you can prospect, with minimal investment, more Dark Matter, etc per week than a bunch of EXE30 DM, etc extractors.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:27 pm