Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

Post Termites
This is a concept/idea for termites that should hopefully solve some basing issues which have been the concern of the top teams for while. It also works with the idea SI had, being AI owned galaxies.

Termites used to be somewhat strong, although with base rebalances they're no where near a threat. I'm proposing termites get a massive (aka huge) buff, strong enough that at max strength they have the power to take down 3 decently geared ada kits, and maybe 4 badly geared ada kits. The kicker is - the strength of the termites scales exponentially with Danger Factor, capping at DF250. The higher DF a galaxy is, the stronger the termites will be.

Let's look at the implications of implementing something like this:
  • In order to build in the bulge of Wild Space, you can't build like shit.
  • If you want to build like shit and have your galaxies be under threat by termites, you need to maintain them by constantly wiping out the termite threat. Given their ability to potentially take down ada kits, this may not be the easiest of tasks.
  • Teams that haven't got as many resources can't take better galaxies, which in the past has annoyed those who can.

I also mentioned the AI-owned galaxies concept which SI briefly talked about. Termites don't spawn once the uni starts. Instead, there are randomly generated termite galaxies that aren't initially aggro. These galaxies would need to be strong, and once again their strength scales with the DF. These galaxies would periodically generate Termite Larvae to roam Wild Space and start setting up nests to attack galaxies. However, once the galaxy is dead it won't spawn anymore larvae. Wiping out a galaxy helps reduce the termite threat.

Additionally, termite larvae wouldn't be teamed on grubbies, so that if termites attack a team, or player, the larvae won't be instantly killed by bases. As in the past, larvae would drop quite a decent amount of credits. Not enough to be of much value to endgame players, but enough for mid-game players to hunt them as a potenital income source. In order to stop players camping outside grubbies' galaxies, they would have a 0 vis tweak that expires after 10 minutes or so.

Other ideas:
Larvae can also set up termite-owned galaxies, which take a while to grow in strength to a point where they're a threat. However, as only well setup termite galaxies can create Larvae, the playerbase can work together as friends (think unicorns and rainbows) and wipe them out. This means you can start building colo galaxies without much defense after the Termites have been wiped out. This means that if you want to drop ada kits, you have a huge head start on those who haven't.

Termite Queen
A super badass queen that's a PP boss, or maybe in a Termite stronghold somewhere in WS. Might spawn in a termite galaxy once it's reached a very high level. Rather than drop loot, similar setup to Gurujana where all the players in the galaxy at the time receive a mission that gives a random piece of loot - maybe 10 Earthforce Defence Tokens. I don't know, whatever works.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:04 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Post Re: Termites
Termites used to have eight levels, which I believe were:

T3 (Apollo now)
Ares
Adonis
Argonaut
Ambrosia
Andaman
Achilles
Annihilator

There was also a random chance that a termite mound could jump to UrQa level, which was armed with a Jiji Qa and seemingly had six augs instead of the usual four. The non-Bana versions were identified with their arms. Sometime ago, the top four non-Bana versions stopped spawning/upgrading, so Mounds became a joke to any half defended level 1000+ galaxy. They were made irrelevant with the base gear buffs, as a four arm mound is roughly equal to a pre-buff Ambrosia base. A post-buff Adonis base could fight it to a standstill.

Journeyman and I ran into a Bana mound that insta-gibbed our whole galaxy (8 STM pre-buff T14's) in one or two minutes. Bases went pop then..

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:16 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

While not strictly a termite system, the "AI owned galaxies" as you call them will cover a lot of this. (Its a bit more than just "AI owned galaxies" ;))

I do like the thought of a Termite Queen, going to have to borrow that idea for something similar.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:43 am
Team: Public Enemy
Main: The Architect
Level: 157

Oh god please no on the termites owning a galaxy. If it's anything like the Aveksaka owning subspace, it will be a complete clusterfuck. I do however agree that termites need a buff. Being able to destroy 4 adakit galaxies seems a bit much though.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:01 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

pocket9s wrote:
If it's anything like the Aveksaka owning subspace, it will be a complete clusterfuck.

The new system I'm working on is completely different from the Aveksaka, and works in a way that makes a lot of sense for wild space. (The AI follow the same rules as the players)

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:08 am

pocket9s wrote:
Oh god please no on the termites owning a galaxy. If it's anything like the Aveksaka owning subspace, it will be a complete clusterfuck. I do however agree that termites need a buff. Being able to destroy 4 adakit galaxies seems a bit much though.

I would agree until you start deploying T20 ada kits in T24 space.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:35 am
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

pocket9s wrote:
Being able to destroy 4 adakit galaxies seems a bit much though.

Part of it is scaling so that when SM22 comes in it's not back to being useless.

SI wrote:
pocket9s wrote:
If it's anything like the Aveksaka owning subspace, it will be a complete clusterfuck.

The new system I'm working on is completely different from the Aveksaka, and works in a way that makes a lot of sense for wild space. (The AI follow the same rules as the players)

Can you provide any more details?

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:42 am
Team: Public Enemy
Main: The Architect
Level: 157

Masterful wrote:
pocket9s wrote:
Being able to destroy 4 adakit galaxies seems a bit much though.

Part of it is scaling so that when SM22 comes in it's not back to being useless.

SM22??? :lol:

Let me guess, thats right after steam release....

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Some dev said something about summer 2016.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:24 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

carterstrain wrote:
Some dev said something about summer 2016.

Source please

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:11 pm

I would reveal his name to do that. You know that's against rule and would get us both "punished".

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:25 pm
over 9000!

carterstrain wrote:
I would reveal his name to do that. You know that's against rule and would get us both "punished".

Why would you have to reveal a dev's identity, if you even know it, to cite an official dev statement? Calling BS.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:59 pm

Because I contacted said dev on "his" player account. How would you feel if Yclepticon talked to someone on Yclepticon's player account concerning content Yclepticon did specifically (such as the base gear rebalance), and this player quoted the words. I'll call bs, just like you called bs. To actually confirm that the quote is from Yclepticon, you would have to actually reveal Yclepticon's player account. That act of revealing, is the thing that trips the rule. That is why I cannot use specifics. You can either take my word for it, or if you actually know which devmin I'm talking about, go ask "him".

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:17 pm
over 9000!

carterstrain wrote:
Because I contacted said dev on "his" player account. How would you feel if Yclepticon talked to someone on Yclepticon's player account concerning content Yclepticon did specifically (such as the base gear rebalance), and this player quoted the words. I'll call bs, just like you called bs. To actually confirm that the quote is from Yclepticon, you would have to actually reveal Yclepticon's player account. That act of revealing, is the thing that trips the rule. That is why I cannot use specifics. You can either take my word for it, or if you actually know which devmin I'm talking about, go ask "him".

Let me make it simple for you. If a dev told you dev info on their dev account, there's no problem here. Let's see the proof. If a dev told you dev info on their player account, it wouldn't count as an official dev statement. So either you need to post some proof or else walk back your original claim.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:27 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Kinetic
Level: 4707

Burn

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:35 pm