Main: ThisIsKalrizian
Level: 0

Post No More Fast-Track Endgame ~ more f2p to p2p conversion
READ ME ALL THE WAY THROUGH, I didnt write this bitch for you to skip half of it

"Welcome to Star Sonata, a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, where you captain a spaceship in a vast, hostile, and fascinating universe.

---Space Trading Game. Discover profitable trade routes.
---Create "slave" ships to fight at your side or to run trade routes.
---Build bases to mine moons or planets, build items from blueprints, create and control colonies on suitable planets.
---Create a team and vie with other teams for universal dominance.
---Deploy drones either in the heat of combat or to protect your galaxies or trade routes.
--- The ultimate prize: be crowned emperor and rule the universe!"

Lets take a step back and examine what youre first impression of this game is. This game is an internal economy where its possible to become the leader of the entire game. Holy fucking unicorns batman-- no other game I've ever played gives me this ability! cant wait!

P2P is the only possible way to do this, and thus is the only possible way to join the game and earn the reward that makes ss special.

Ok. No big deal. P2P now.
Hmm I need to make a team to try and get universal dominance
Easy enough...

Okay I have my team, now I just need to amass enough wealth to over throw everyone else.
PROBLEM.

~ People have been saying that this game has way too much money due to colonies. Thus far no one has really thought of an idea to counteract this problem.

~ SS has always had a problem attracting new costumers to the game and get them to stick around long enough to pay for it.

The idea is simplistic and elegant and easily implimented.

All that needs to be done is to make base building abhorrently cheap

Please Read on before you blast my dick off...

(I.E. anyone can afford/make powerful base gear easily) and expand the build space for f2ps into earthforce space. For example, Ana Shield requires a GnT to build, take that out. stuff like this

people amass all this wealth and dont do shit with it except scoop more wealth and sit on their colonies pumping in billions each uni. Everyone in an established team knows atleast a few people who by themselves have amassed trillions. Admins and Dev team work to come out with new material for the game, but due to the overwhelming amount of money in circulation it quickly becomes old and "end game" has become commonplace.

Think about it, if top tier base items were cheap and easily made, wars for top commodities wouldnt be such a scary concept. The richest teams can take what they want without difficulty, due to their amassed wealth, their bases can bring down all but the most prepared. This causes multiple problems:

1. People leave the game. With people investing so much time and effort into establishing their galaxies, some times a beginning of the uni steamroll can cause a team to dissolve completely. Its just not worth the time and effort to wait an entire uni to start from square one. Make base gear cheap and its not a big deal.

2. The economy is placed in the hands of rich/powerful. Smaller teams cannot progress to end game content without access to the commodities necessary to build those specific ships and weaponry. Everyone knows its a whole hell of a lot easier to get your builds done when you have the commodities in team.

3. With snowballing wealth (easy power control) you cut out what has been promised to your clients. The game is run without that power struggle or fight that makes games viable.

When new teams come in and cant become "emperor" like is advertised because its literally fucking impossible. A new player cannot possibly come into the game and topple teams that have stood at the top for years.

Making great base gear easily accessible would make teams easier to establish

if everyone had the ability to easily make base gear wars would happen ALL THE TIME
and with the fact that its impossible to lose stuff when you die and since base gear is cheap and easy to build you just stand right back up!

The best games dont have an end game, but are perpetual. Everyone loves sandbox games because you can just keep going. Look at minecraft, GTA, SIMS, ect. ect.
They all have continuity, things you can do that you make yourself. This game is a sandbox, but the tools to alter it just take to long to achieve.

The expansion of F2P skills was a GREAT idea. level 20 just isnt enough to fully appreciate this amazing game. Leveling is all fine and good, but its hard to see the action in this game at all except during each new uni, which is probably this games most exhilerating point(seriously the most exciting AI to kill is copper because hes actually coded to give a shit). Give f2ps an open Colosseum to duke it out for property, and make the means to do so easily accessed and you have a game that is action packed,

faster paced,

where politics arn't just established at every new uni,

but every day.

Shazamm this game is fixed. With Base Slots (a great system) I cannot see how this could be a problem.

Last edited by Neba on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:18 am, edited 7 times in total.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:18 am
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

Post Re: No More Endgame ~
i read it all with care.. Now i sleep..
Suggestion did make Some sense though.
I just dont like it For Some Reason?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:02 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: DHM
Level: 8172

all i see you talk about is how easy it is to get credits, this is allways comming from old players that sit on their wealth and dint give a fuck if it becomes hard er for new players, or less fortunate older players

first of all, welth depends what you are looking for, i make money, but costs me about 500 bil to get 1 ship for an alt, i got 20 alts, thats gonna take me years to get, let alone the gear for it
you wanna change this, so it will take me about 30 years to get, nice idea

lets continue to look what wealth is, give a newbie 10 mil and he is rich, give an old player 100 bil, and it wont buy him shit ........ how about you give away all you got, dont ask your old friemd new friends anything, and start over, and get a few alts in T21 with all skill and see how long that takes if you do it alone, without help of ANY KIND

not everyone has the same gameplay or money you have, or like old players have

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:24 am

Im thinking about trying to keep new players in the game.
Im thinking about the fact that people play this game only long enough until they get bored with it.

Youre thinking about yourself.
End game should be difficult to accomplish.
Youre trying to justify why it should be easy to accomplish for your 20 alts.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:31 am
Main: DHM
Level: 8172

Neba wrote:
Im thinking about the fact that people play this game only long enough until they get bored with it.

Youre thinking about yourself.

maybe a little, but if you are afraid people get bored, and you make end stuff take even more time.

Neba wrote:

End game should be difficult to accomplish.

it allready is, i dont have time ( and i doubt im alone on this ) to do many or any oly runs

Neba wrote:

Youre trying to justify why it should be easy to accomplish for your 20 alts.

its not easy like i allready said, maybe for you, not for me
i been playing for years, and been playing oly missions for as long as its in, only got 1 T21 ship, HM for my engineer, nothing been done on any alts, no skills, no gear
dont even have T21 augs on the engineer, so i think its taking long enough to make it hard

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:36 am

Im looking to attract more subscriptions.
you might have 12 accounts that you pay that 120 a month for

but its more valuable to pick up 3 new people a month then to keep you in the game

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:43 am
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
I love this.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:27 am
Main: Prommilypicklesomnomnom
Level: 4704

Post Re: No More Fast-Track Endgame ~ more f2p to p2p conversion
While I don't mind this idea, and it's because I haven't built my basegear yet, and I'm not rich, I don't mind saying, because others will hate you for it....It'll create havoc within the economy, and among older players. Absolute havoc. And this doesn't help new players in a big way unless the wiki is advertised ingame to new players, and we have tutorials and videos installed along their way.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:14 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

You are 100% correct that base gear (and kits) should be cheaper. You are not correct in saying that this alone would solve problems. The other issue is that you NEED an endgame galaxy to progress to the endgame. This is not just because colonies are overpowered - you don't strictly need colony credits if you are good at grinding - it's because T21 gear is designed to require very capable production facilities (ahem, Tarkin aug). The simple value of holding a developed galaxy will not be removed even if all the bases used to hold it are dirt cheap and instantly replaceable. Losing a galaxy will still be a big fucking deal.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 am
Main: Prommilypicklesomnomnom
Level: 4704

I just think, and have always thought this, colony income at maximum efficiency is just a bit too high, or it's too easy to have so many. I still think colonies should only be able to be built on kits that are designed to be used by CAs only, and therefore tech restrictions can be put into place. Albeit there needs to be a system whereas you can't just build then demo and use a T3. I'm just saying, even making the minimum tech 6 for example, would quickly drastically alter colonial income, which will cause the economy to flux temporarily, and stabilize at costs that are both accessible to the casual, or non-colonizing gamer, while certain items or modded items still being exclusively colonizer-accessible, or with an insane amount of work for non-colonizers. Basically the same as we have now, just a smaller gap to breach. Not sure how much of this is accurate, open to criticism, for once. ;)

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:19 pm

anilv wrote:
You are 100% correct that base gear (and kits) should be cheaper. You are not correct in saying that this alone would solve problems. The other issue is that you NEED an endgame galaxy to progress to the endgame. This is not just because colonies are overpowered - you don't strictly need colony credits if you are good at grinding - it's because T21 gear is designed to require very capable production facilities (ahem, Tarkin aug). The simple value of holding a developed galaxy will not be removed even if all the bases used to hold it are dirt cheap and instantly replaceable. Losing a galaxy will still be a big fucking deal.

Yes you need an end game galaxy to progress to the end game. This idea will make is easier for all teams to have access to the powerful and wanted galaxies. And this doesnt affect the money brought in by colonies whats so ever, if people are warring more often, and your colonies get destroyed, Im trying to offset your income by constantly making you spend your money on base gear.

andezrhode3 wrote:
I just think, and have always thought this, colony income at maximum efficiency is just a bit too high, or it's too easy to have so many. I still think colonies should only be able to be built on kits that are designed to be used by CAs only, and therefore tech restrictions can be put into place. Albeit there needs to be a system whereas you can't just build then demo and use a T3. I'm just saying, even making the minimum tech 6 for example, would quickly drastically alter colonial income, which will cause the economy to flux temporarily, and stabilize at costs that are both accessible to the casual, or non-colonizing gamer, while certain items or modded items still being exclusively colonizer-accessible, or with an insane amount of work for non-colonizers. Basically the same as we have now, just a smaller gap to breach. Not sure how much of this is accurate, open to criticism, for once. ;)

I think this is a for a different thread ;) (good suggestion btw though...)

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:48 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

Emperor, LOL!
The Admins actually stopped rewarding players who get Emperor. The past few Emperor runs, there have been no Galaxies named after players and no emp items as promised.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:09 pm
Main: Serg!o
Level: 4118

I just see lots of Ada Kits being built.

I may be more willing to go to war if losses weren't as high though.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Tomzta09 wrote:
Emperor, LOL!
The Admins actually stopped rewarding players who get Emperor. The past few Emperor runs, there have been no Galaxies named after players and no emp items as promised.

No where in what the advertise is that guaranteed.
The reward for emp is tithe and imp seals

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:17 pm

AustinAfizzle wrote:
I just see lots of Ada Kits being built.

I may be more willing to go to war if losses weren't as high though.

This is exactly what I want to happen, if everyone on the block has access to the best toys, easily cheaply, more wars-- more distribution of wealth and commodities.
Ada kits take up alot of base slots :P

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:34 pm