Main: Spartan 141
Level: 3448

Post Engine Trails + Docked UI
So i saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul-MiX1Qge0

id like to sugest that we put the unique engine trails back in, so the grape is pink and tiny eddison is long and bubbly ect. that way my engine trail is based on my engine and not this tiny glowing blob in the back of any ship i have.

also a docked ui option with the ship centered in the middle of the undocked space would be a brilliant addition to the SS client that many of us old players and some new would like. i currently hate how i have to have my inventory/map/star systems in the middle so i can click on floaties and have that space practically wasted if i want to use it to click on something.

PS: sorry about my horrible grammar i dont write papers for a living so i dont use it correctly i type how i speak. if enough people sign these ill put them up in the sugestions page

Absolutely no comment.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:20 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: Engine Trails + Docked UI
I made a big fuss about engine trails more than 6 months ago, talked to Jeff and Bageese directly about it. Talked to Jey too. Basically, they told me they didn't know how to make it work without causing more problems.

Long story short, we're going to be stuck with shitty excuses for engines for a long time.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

MasterTrader wrote:
I made a big fuss about engine trails more than 6 months ago, talked to Jeff and Bageese directly about it. Talked to Jey too. Basically, they told me they didn't know how to make it work without causing more problems.

Long story short, we're going to be stuck with shitty excuses for engines for a long time.

I miss Arrow Zest.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:45 am
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

ELITE wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

I miss Arrow Zest.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Tomzta09 wrote:
ELITE wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

I miss Arrow Zest.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Tomzta09 wrote:
ELITE wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

I miss Arrow Zest.

Absolutely no comment.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Is the issue the particle engine being inefficient for performance?

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Performance isnt "too" much of a problem anymore since there are control in places to automatically tune particles depending on load.

The main obstacle left to get proper engine look is to actually design them. We have the engine definitions C1 used, we just need to somehow convert those into a particles engine definition parameters sets and use it instead of the current one.

This is already what the current one do to an extent, but it doesn't cover all the old params. Getting it to look right is a whole other story tho, its easy to get it looking right with orthogonal camera, but with isometric view, you need a whole lot more definitions in your particles for them to look ok.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Jey123456 wrote:
Performance isnt "too" much of a problem anymore since there are control in places to automatically tune particles depending on load.

The main obstacle left to get proper engine look is to actually design them. We have the engine definitions C1 used, we just need to somehow convert those into a particles engine definition parameters sets and use it instead of the current one.

This is already what the current one do to an extent, but it doesn't cover all the old params. Getting it to look right is a whole other story tho, its easy to get it looking right with orthogonal camera, but with isometric view, you need a whole lot more definitions in your particles for them to look ok.

So i am guessing that the engines in the demo video were only a couple very specifically created engines?

Absolutely no comment.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:08 pm
Contributor

Jey123456 wrote:

So it sounds like the issue I brought attention to, and the fix you implemented as a result, really helped?

I'm assuming it will take a LONG time to get each engine looking right, and that the only reason this isn't being done is because of a lack of staff... Right?

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:58 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

I think the biggest issue is that the C1 particles were not volumetric and that there isn't an easy way to convert 2D particles to 3D volumetric particles while retaining the same look and feel throughout.

For example, the arrow zest would volumetrically be a cone, whereas another engine might just be an amorphous cloud shape. That data isn't in the C1 particles, so it would take someone going through each engine to make sure it looks appropriate from top-down and isometric view.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

assuming your talking about the "fix" where i reduced the length of smoke engines then yes it really helped, but its only a quick thing. A proper fix is on the table for it, just not on the stuff I'm currently working on yet.

And yes, 2d particles convert very badly to a 3d system hence why if the game was ortho camera only it wouldn't be a problem since i could just emulate the 2d result, but it look very wrong when you start playing with the camera angle xD.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:59 pm
Contributor

Jey123456 wrote:
assuming your talking about the "fix" where i reduced the length of smoke engines then yes it really helped, but its only a quick thing. A proper fix is on the table for it, just not on the stuff I'm currently working on yet.

And yes, 2d particles convert very badly to a 3d system hence why if the game was ortho camera only it wouldn't be a problem since i could just emulate the 2d result, but it look very wrong when you start playing with the camera angle xD.

There literally is no reason to use any other camera angle...

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:32 am

MasterTrader wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:

The tilted view still looks like ass to me as most ships are far too flat and it makes it hard to aim.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:40 am

ELITE wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:

The tilted view still looks like ass to me as most ships are far too flat and it makes it hard to aim.

Personally id like to start a petition to just remove angled cameras

Absolutely no comment.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 am