Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

Post Re: Remove account base slot restrictions
Antilzah wrote:
I think this would be too OP. Single acc with 250 (or more) base slots.

Even though the only way to fight against a strong team is to bvb them with bases? i dont think this is op at all.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:09 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Rhys
Level: 3919

Well, either way, the current, /2, /3, /4, /5 for account slots seems a bit OP.

If you want to defend a galaxy well, you'll generally want an StM on an account. That pretty much makes it so that you need at least 2 accounts to do 1 galaxy (i.e. getting a CA & ExE in addition with full slot capabilities). I think there needs to be an adjustment on account slots to be at least 150 theoretical max for a 5 character account. That would be the bare minimum to do one barely competent galaxy under the current environment.

Reason? If you want Steam greenlit players, or any other new players for that matter, to have a higher chance of playing SS for a long time, you might want to let them enjoy the full breadth of building - i.e. the best done & most unique aspect of Star Sonata I've ever encountered in any game. I mean, let's be honest, it's probably not as likely they are gonna stay for the graphics, the pvp, or any of this shit you call content.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:32 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Rounder wrote:
Well, either way, the current, /2, /3, /4, /5 for account slots seems a bit underwhelming.

If you want to defend a galaxy well, you'll generally want an StM on an account. That pretty much makes it so that you need at least 2 accounts to do 1 galaxy (i.e. getting a CA & ExE in addition with full slot capabilities). I think there needs to be an adjustment on account slots to be at least 150 theoretical max for a 5 character account. That would be the bare minimum to do one barely competent galaxy under the current environment.

Reason? If you want Steam greenlit players, or any other new players for that matter, to have a higher chance of playing SS for a long time, you might want to let them enjoy the full breadth of building - i.e. the best done & most unique aspect of Star Sonata I've ever encountered in any game. I mean, let's be honest, it's probably not as likely they are gonna stay for the graphics, the pvp, or any of this shit you call content.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:39 am
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

Yup. Once new players realize that the $10 per month needs to be increased to $20, $30 etc., in order to have a chance at competing, they'll be out of here.

And Blizz, it's not OP, lol. It wasn't OP before Jeff took away our full base slots, and it's not OP now. The only thing that's OP is YOU with your crazy number of accounts and all those base slots you have :P Go wallow in your OPness!

I don't have a problem with people owning and using multiple accounts UNTIL the devs start balancing the game with multiple accounts as the benchmark, which is what happened with base slots.

Btw, do any devs even bother reading threads about more base slots, or do they just look at the title and utter an evil, greedy laugh?

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:12 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

I dunno to be honest, I've managed to get 10 cols and 4 STM bases with EE bases totaling to 31 bases within one account and one galaxy. Account is 96/100. All chars are 48 slots apart from one which has SM16.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:20 pm
Team: Zygort Traders
Main: Vorporal
Level: 5483

Ill agree with Rhys on this one.
The net result of the current number of base slots being so severely curtailed per account is to my mind negative.

Firstly we have the much talked of need for multi-accounts and the incentive to do so that the current systems offers. Talked about and ill ignore because it does make it look, from the outside at least, like P2W which is NOT the impression you want to give new players trying to learn the mechanics.

2nd is the giant empty swaths of wildspace. We have had people crawling over each other to promote BvB and PvP in general but as it stands now I doubt there will be much of any combat this uni purely because most end game teams have room to expand in 2-3 directions. Hell EF is so thinly spread had the re-balance not occurred I would be expecting someone to roll at least 30% of their gals in short order but even their sprawl isent taking up the vast tracts of empty space. Meaning less combat (READ: fun for the PvP tragics) and empty space looking all dodgy on my map.

This is the biggest issue for me, we have a ton of realestate not being used but newer players cant take advantage of that space! Not since they need 4 t20s to consider holding a gal which means even if they have 20 StM on their next char (huge expense to a mid lvler without bases given its a few B per lvl between 16->20) they have what 5 t9s to spread around?? Not exactly a well thought out thing where you choose decent defense or actual production on a single account rather than getting a working galaxy per account which I think is perfectly fair. You pay 10 a month you get the ability to utilize a galaxy to reasonable potential, want more gals? Pay another 10 and its yours once you have the lvls! Atm the cost/benefit is too damn high, pay 10 get the ability to defend a gal, pay another 10 to make it work EE wise and another 10 to get the CA slots (and t16s to teraform) and extra random stuff to fill it out. Yay you brought a gal now do it again next month....this is what I ment when I said it looks P2W.

Here is the issue. Your average mid game player wants to base, its a big chunk of coming of age in the game, but he can only really do this on his first char which nearly universally needs to be SM. However once his first char is used they have a tiny pool of slots to use from there on out which means they cant do jack with the very expensive bases/skills they worked so hard for.

Opening up the slots even to 1:1 on the first 2 (or even 3) chars means the mid lvl gamer has the ability to have 1 SM, 1EE and 1 CA char good to go on each account which means they can be self sustaining entities and thus enjoy the content in a much bigger way. Especially since with junkyard kits and so on the work in making functional bases is greatly reduced for a entry lvl baser (GO DEVS! */me cheers*) something im very happy about. Whats interesting is that if you opened the slots on the first 2 to max, +40+40 and the 3rd to half +20 (lets face is we all use t3 CA kits anyways) and then simply stopped all other chars getting slots you end up with roughly the same total slot pool! Only dif is you make getting decent skills/lvl that much more important on a 2nd/3rd char meaning more time in game lvling those chars.

However despite the total number of slots (thus server strain/base usage) being roughly equal the utility gained from that system is vastly increased for those just entering into the base world where getting StM16 on 2 chars is suddenly a great idea. If that player wants to spend the time and sub money to get his 4/5th chars up and running then heck, he can and gets MfM chars to go along with his assuredly working base structure. However for the end gamers with stacked alts lvled via afk sessions in reaver DGs the net result isent actually that big of a deal which means whatever the devs wanted to achieve with the slot control all those resets ago is left intact.

TL:DR -> I agree with removing the base slots concept and argue it should be put into effect but assuming that gains no traction with devmins then I suggest: Make the first 2 chars on an account get full slots, the third get half slots and the last 2 get no slots at all. Weights base power to earlier in the game for most players which is what we want but dosent really change the max base slots in the game which keeps it in check with whatever the devs are trying to achieve here. Generally each account should be able to utlise one galaxy to decent potential with good gals needing 2 which means another sub or teammates working together.

My 2c
Vorp

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:25 pm
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

What I would really like to see in conjunction with the restoration of our base slots is some mechanic which incentivizes higher tech bases on non-stm alts. For example, find a mechanism to make one Achilles CA base (8 base slots) as profitable as two Adonis CA bases (4 slots each. or four Apollo kits (2slots each). Of course, there are other factors which would have to be rebalanced to make up for players having the ability to be more selective about which planets to build on.

As long as it's four times as profitable to spam 16 Apollo kits instead of 4 we'll continue to see those silly little kits spammed all over the place.

Commonly available extractors at higher techs would be an obvious and simple way to get people to use higher tech (and therefore fewer) EE bases. The current types of rare high tech extractors wouldn't even become obsolete if they could be installed alongside AI base extractors of the same tech level.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 pm
Contributor

Maybe not t20 kits but t12 atleast. I agree with your point Dorin. Problem is the account slots make that idea unviable as well since everyone would need an additional 1-2 accounts per gal to make that work lol

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:15 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Dorin Nube wrote:
What I would really like to see in conjunction with the restoration of our base slots is some mechanic which incentivizes higher tech bases on non-stm alts. For example, find a mechanism to make one Achilles CA base (8 base slots) as profitable as two Adonis CA bases (4 slots each. or four Apollo kits (2slots each). Of course, there are other factors which would have to be rebalanced to make up for players having the ability to be more selective about which planets to build on.

As long as it's four times as profitable to spam 16 Apollo kits instead of 4 we'll continue to see those silly little kits spammed all over the place.

Commonly available extractors at higher techs would be an obvious and simple way to get people to use higher tech (and therefore fewer) EE bases. The current types of rare high tech extractors wouldn't even become obsolete if they could be installed alongside AI base extractors of the same tech level.

/signed on tech of base scaling up trade skill value. I'd like to see a system where you get 5-6 bases per character, of any tech.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:48 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: Tobal
Level: 6514

Account slot limit is waaaay better than having no restrictions.

Before it was added, 1 account could have way too many bases, it was extremely unbalanced.

With the number of multi-accounts today, lifting the limit would make the problems of 2003/2004 return in far greater magnitude.

The restrictions are a pain sometimes and favour those who MC over those with single accounts, but there's no real way to stop that short of banning the use of more than one account which is a whole other can of worms.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:51 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Every time this topic comes up you never ever see an admin or dev response, never a single word either for or against it seems the reasons for the original nerf of slots are lost in time and were invalidated a long time ago. Get this on suggestions list so when we vote it to number one it can't be ignored any more.

Last edited by sabre198 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor

tobang wrote:
Account slot limit is waaaay better than having no restrictions.

Before it was added, 1 account could have way too many bases, it was extremely unbalanced.

With the number of multi-accounts today, lifting the limit would make the problems of 2003/2004 return in far greater magnitude.

The restrictions are a pain sometimes and favour those who MC over those with single accounts, but there's no real way to stop that short of banning the use of more than one account which is a whole other can of worms.

That's why it was suggested that the first 3 characters of the account get the 1/1 bonus and then 4th and 5th get 1/2 and 1/3. That's 1 StM, 1 CA & 1 EE in addition to 2 MfM. Perfect balance tbh.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:57 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

anilv wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:

/signed on tech of base scaling up trade skill value. I'd like to see a system where you get 5-6 bases per character, of any tech.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59789

http://www.starsonata.com/suggestions/t ... _with_base

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:07 pm
Main: Rhys
Level: 3919

There suggestion made:

http://www.starsonata.com/suggestions/r ... estrctions

Also apparently I'm bad a spelling, but you get my point!

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:44 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 3482

I don't think just removing the account slots restriction is the answer here.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:15 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next