Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Breaking down gear to build it back up.
There was a suggestion made by an admin a long time ago:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53708

Of + item upgrades. Where you could unlimitedly upgrade your items for small bonuses.

My suggestion is to get rid of the idea of plusonium or whatever the fuck that is, and to instead allow us to break down our gear. By Salvaging our gear, we get raw materials that allows us to increase the power of our gear. It doesn't need to be as linearly as the + levels suggestion, shit there could be a set amount of levels (Mk. I to Mk. X) that requires more and more Salvage in order to upgrade. Infact, you could take EXISTING Junkyard content and give missions from tech 0-22 that allow you to upgrade an item using a token or something like that.

The point is so that we have actual item sinks and reasons to acquire dungeon gear. At present, no one gives a rats ass about doing any dungeons because they offer no progression. No one cares very much about Serengeti gear because there's tons of it floating around... you catch my drift.

Salvage is the way of the future!

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:19 pm
Main: Spartan 141
Level: 3448

Post Re: Breaking down gear to build it back up.
Stolen directly from the bowels of Star Trek Online? However, it is an interesting concept.

Absolutely no comment.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:03 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

I actually DG like fuck to get new bindomite targets/raw credits/augs/dem/frags/prawn pieces/levels. As do many others. We are the reason the market is so flooded with most DG loot :P.

UZ gear that is used in builds has demand, the pieces that don't are worthless. That's just supply vs demand working as intended.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:12 am
Contributor

ELITE wrote:
I actually DG like fuck to get new bindomite targets/raw credits/augs/dem/frags/prawn pieces/levels. As do many others. We are the reason the market is so flooded with most DG loot :P.

UZ gear that is used in builds has demand, the pieces that don't are worthless. That's just supply vs demand working as intended.

This suggestion doesn't negatively impact any of that. What it does do is give people who don't build bases an option to tweak their gear by doing dungeons. I see your point though, especially the UZ gear explanation.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:05 pm

MasterTrader wrote:
ELITE wrote:

This suggestion doesn't negatively impact any of that. What it does do is give people who don't build bases an option to tweak their gear by doing dungeons. I see your point though, especially the UZ gear explanation.

We already have that option. It's called DGing to get a lot of the same gear, and then Bindomite the shit out of it.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:27 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

What about the gear that no one is interested in using, even with 16 mods on it?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 pm
Contributor

anilv wrote:
What about the gear that no one is interested in using, even with 16 mods on it?

And this is what I'm talking about.

There's a limit to how many Juju Embada's/Alien Steam Power's people are going to use...

And this also means that if you invest in a higher end tech 16 class weapon or whatever, and then move on to other weapons, you can break it down (because its going to give way more salvage because of its rarity) and use it to improve your other stuff.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:31 pm

MasterTrader wrote:
anilv wrote:

There's a limit to how many Juju Embada's/Alien Steam Power's people are going to use...

And this also means that if you invest in a higher end tech 16 class weapon or whatever, and then move on to other weapons, you can break it down (because its going to give way more salvage because of its rarity) and use it to improve your other stuff.

Sooo take shitty gear to The Junkyard, turn it into Scrapnotes, sell those to buy better gear to Bindomite?

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:33 pm
Contributor

ELITE wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:
anilv wrote:

Sooo take shitty gear to The Junkyard, turn it into Scrapnotes, sell those to buy better gear to Bindomite?

Replace the last part of what you said with "Use those to directly upgrade your gear", and that is exactly what I'm suggesting.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Being able to directly upgrade gear in exchange for credits would just make the gap widen even further. At least Bindomite makes some of the gear disappear from the market.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:03 pm
Contributor

ELITE wrote:
Being able to directly upgrade gear in exchange for credits would just make the gap widen even further. At least Bindomite makes some of the gear disappear from the market.

No, thats not what I'm saying.

I'm saying you turn the gear in for scrap notes, and you use the scrap notes to upgrade your gear to Mk. I to Mk. X in order to get small bonus increases to your gear. The bonuses would be really small, like 2.5% per level or something. Something at MK. X would only be like 25% stronger than its normal self. (Very rough example, I am in no way making suggestions about actual scaling).

The point is so that there is something else to put unwanted and unused gear towards, and it also makes use of the Junkyard that we currently have. While also affording people the ability to continue to experience a sense of progress in between the major leaps that come with tech and rarity upgrades. Its also even more of an item sink than bindomite is, but doesn't interfere with bindomite....

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:44 pm