Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Post Re: p2p Benefits
In regards to the whole micro transaction thing. I dont necessarily think its a bad idea, lots of game have gone that route recently. However those games dont require you to pay monthly. Instead they charge you 1-3 times a year $10-$90 for a expansion. Which supports the game for the most part. Then they add mico transactions, mostly cosmetic stuff that actually helps support the game even further. I actually think this would be really beneficial for SS. Then they could actually market SS as a f2p game. They would just have to add micro transactions that people would actually buy on the regular, or release more expansions periodically. They could of marketed Oly as a expansion charge $50, subspace another $50, PPS another $50. Since its outdated content now you would buy all 3 expansions for a cheaper price. Thats exactly how all MMOs are doing it now. I just dont think SS will go that route right now. Since they have a loyal player base that no matter what will continues to pay $10-$90 a month for this game. So there is a great risk of ruining something that "works" for Jeff right now, honestly if i were him i wouldnt even bother. Unless i had a great marketing team showing my actual numbers that ill make more money from taking this route.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:57 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

carterstrain wrote:
I just said those four ARE free to play games and you looked at me if I was crazy, and then argued they are free to play games.

Get off your coffee/weed and read the whole post before responding to the whole post.

One of those F2P games used to be P2P, hence why I pointed out that it went F2P. Then mentioned 3 more games that WERE P2P and THEN went F2P. Maybe you didn't know those games were P2P first, and then went F2P later on to capture a broader market. But that's why we have Google. :D

Take your own advice next time Church...

Oh, and no coffee or weed here buddy, go bum some off of someone else. :wink:

redalert150 wrote:
However those games dont require you to pay monthly. Instead they charge you 1-3 times a year $10-$90 for a expansion.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/never ... ip-program!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-t ... il/7009153

https://store.enmasse.com/tera/elite-status

http://www.bladeandsoul.com/uk/news/premium-membership/

https://www.wildstar-online.com/en/game/service/credd/

http://www.swtor.com/buy

There are only a few games that I know of that make you pay for expansions, GW2, WoW, ESO chief among them. The rest give you a bunch of free content and then allow you to subscribe and get really nice perks/bonuses that range from "Nice" to "Take my money!/I'm not playing this damn game", and every game varies on what their subscription gives or doesn't give you.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:37 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

I don't drink coffee. I don't drink alcohol. I don't smoke cigs. I don't smoke weed. I'm as mundane as you can get.

The f2p system works. Because people are willing to pay to look different, for convenience, and to get into content with their friends faster.

SS doesn't do it not because of personal preference, but because it is *work*. I'll bet you there are maybe five devs, out of fifteen to twenty who are employed by Landauer Games, that get paid. And of the maybe five devs, none of them are actually dependant on the success of the game for their livelihood.

As far as I can see, only Pixel, Jon, Jeff, and Bageese post on social media. Bageese was community manager; that was her specific job. Jeff is the owner and has accounting experience+training; I'll bet he makes at least 75k a year easily if he's been working all this time. Still pretty bad for social media usage.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:57 pm
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

redalert150 wrote:
...Instead they charge you 1-3 times a year $10-$90 for a expansion. Which supports the game for the most part. Then they add mico transactions, mostly cosmetic stuff that actually helps support the game even further. I actually think this would be really beneficial for SS. ... They could of marketed Oly as a expansion charge $50, subspace another $50, PPS another $50. Since its outdated content now you would buy all 3 expansions for a cheaper price. Thats exactly how all MMOs are doing it now.

I actually quite like this idea if they dropped the monthly subscription.
It allows for players to finish the content they're on with no obligation to hurry things along because they're on a timed subscription.
Personally, I rarely set foot in Peri-Peri space I've done maybe 2-3 runs in it? If it were offered as an expansion for $10-$20 I would pick it up when I get to that content, but for now it's just wasted on me and means very little in the way of content.

Reminds me of Lord of the rings online, I picked that up when it was on sale on Steam, I got a bunch of expansions + some cosmetic armor for my character and it was good. My mates and I played quite a bit of it and actually got into some of the expansions, some of them even purchased some micro-transactions for their inventory space and shit like that. Even though we didn't stick around, they still made a decent amount of money from us and that game is still going strong.

In my entire time with SS, I've probably spent $1,000.00 USD on my sub.
Not a whole lot when you consider I've been playing since 2004. $1,000.00 over 12 years is really nothing when you look at what other games are making per user. Hell, I played League of Legends for a few years and spent the same.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Honestly i think it would be the best route, specially since we go long droughts with no content additions yet we continue to pay the monthly fees, and hey if they see no incoming money it would push them to start working on the game more.

However, like i said it would be really hard to convince Jeff of doing something like this.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:38 pm
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

I don't think that would motivate Jeff to be honest, let's face it the way the game is doing now is on the decline and we're still not getting a transparent response on the plans and future of SS.

But having something that people can easily buy into like that, accompanying cosmetic items and any myriad of the listed suggestions / ideas from other F2P MMO's would definitely bring in some much needed cash to boost the development of the game further.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:00 pm
Contributor

There is no need to remove subscription, here is a rough and oversimplified plan to generate more money while making subscriptions valuable for new P2P:

1. Change Class Skills/Focus Skills and Aug Tweaking to give most of their benefit in the first 5 levels. At least 50% seems fair. 10% of the total per level for the first 5 levels and then 3.33% for every level thereafter. Would take ~35-40 levels to get 50% of the bonuses that people with maxed skills have for Class Skills, and way less time and XP for the Aug Tweaking.

a. Change gear so that you are locked to tech 10 + (1 for every 100 levels) if you are F2P, so that F2P are incentivized to spend credits and time on appropriate tech stuff. This would mean that 0-100 you can use up to tech 10 gear, with a new tech level opening up every 100 levels. Make a big deal about it in the center of the screen with the "Congratulations. You've leveled up! Your neural connections can now interface with Tech XX gear!"

2. Restrict F2P to gear under Tech 20, but let them have access to ALL the content (Except for Subspace). Allow them to get whatever skills they want, allow them to do whatever content they want. But make it so that anything over Tech 19 has a "Pay to Play" only tag.

3. Allow F2P to build anywhere and everywhere, but again don't let them use anything or deploy or even own anything over tech 19. Increase P2P base slots, or get rid of the diminishing number of base slots per character on a P2P account.

4. Change safety lock to Aggressive/Passive "flags". Allow F2P to be PvPed outside of Earthforce Space. Make it so that Wild Space and Perilous Space have +25% and +50% XP gains for players marked Aggressive (stacking on top of everything else). You can't initiate combat unless you're Aggressive. If you're Aggressive and you attack a Passive then you get Infamy. If you are an Aggressive attacking an Aggressive or a Passive attacking an Aggressive you gain Glory.

OK so now you've made the game exciting and interesting for F2P players, and they get to easily progress through the midgame to the end game and they have goals to move towards.

Where is the part where we make money?

HERE:
  • Sell Tech 0 items in the cash shop that are 2/3rd's as good as special things like Rovert's.
  • Sell Tech Downgrade's which do the opposite of what the admins wanted to do with Tech Upgrade's for ships (This is definitely P2W if you are F2P). These would keep the stats the same.
  • Sell Cargo slots (5 slots for 1-3 SP or something. Probably like 2. Give people a discount for buying a bundle of like 25... charge em 8 bucks lmao.)
  • Sell Lockout Re Sequencers. Stack of consumables that allows a squad to bypass any lockouts any individual players may have, and afterwards it makes them immune to further re sequencers until the next time the dungeon unlocks. (Slightly PayToWin, but people already do this shit by multi accounting so fuck it. This will help people who do not multi account greatly.)
  • Sell XP boosts (Put them in 1SP units, bundle them in 5 and 10 SP bundles)

Only things I can think of right now, but there are plenty more.

EDIT: Oh wait, Infamy and Glory. You can add a new type of "Overloader" that changes the color of your weapons/adds firing effects, and different "themes" require different amounts of Infamy/Glory. Then you can sell these things for Space Points too.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:10 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Something along the lines of Path of Exile's Supporter Packs would do well in SS.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Supporter_pack

Basically you buy a bundle of Space Points and benefits. You get shiny forum titles, ingame skins/avatars, and discounted rates for that one time purchase of SP.

Best one imo is the Grandmaster Support Pack. Pay $500 and you get a ton of shit, and you also get to choose one of your ingame characters to be immortalized into Path itself.

It's the equivalent of being able to buy a spot in Mausoleum, and put an Undead version of yourself into the game.

I'd buy a few packs. And if we had them setup for when we finally get on Steam, money incoming.

This could be a way to market new unique skins, like more things along the lines of the Nyan's Reaver and DogeAge. Just popular travel ship/combat ship reskins. I'm in favor of nothing giving ingame advantages, just a lot of cosmetic stuff.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:30 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Joshua102
Level: 14714

Quote:
MasterTrader

For once your post is actually good and makes sense. :lol:

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:41 pm
Contributor

Joshua102 wrote:
Quote:
MasterTrader

For once your post is actually good and makes sense. :lol:

Been making sense since I started posting in this thread. Those suggestions are based off of everything I said earlier. I've been saying the same thing the past couple of days, so if my post makes sense now then all of my other posts should make sense as well. :roll:

OH, forgot to add one last thing in my previous post. In line with the base changes, if you are a P2P player and your account is unsubbed, any base with ANYTHING over tech 19 should be frozen entirely. :wink:

Would prevent F2P from abusing P2P in order to get Tech 20 stuff on it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:11 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

Tbh what has never made sense to me is absolutely denying all play once your sub runs out. I originally accepted it because "okay, you get to be much higher level and do more stuff".
Once the F2P level limit was removed subbing absolutely lost any meaning and I as a subber am lost ever since. Why would I ever pay if I don't care about the ultra-tryhard content that makes up 5% of the game? There's just no reason for me to give a fuck and especially not to simply lose access to the whole game(even the free part!) once I get bored of the small portion I paid for.

As a long-time player that was subbed for over a year, what I currently see that P2P would give to me is:
1. Access to wild and perilous space. Mostly just AI and gear with higher stats, but with more pidgeonholed roles. The reward breaks even for me, hence, not worth subbing for this.
2. More boss runs. Could be fun, but I can do without, since doing only that would become boring fast.
3. PvP. Could be fun, but I'm never going to pay for that specifically.

In the C1 F2P times the rewards for subbing were much more considerable:
1. Classes other than support focus.
2. Extensive crafting choices, since there aren't many items you can build with only tech 6 bases and under. I could say that crafting as such didn't exist for me as an F2P in C1.
3. Access to the rest of the content, which made up over 90%. This means many interesting choices for a person like me.
4. Meaningful BvB - As an F2P there was no "BvB" as such, since the permadrones you could place were far stronger than any base available.

Even though I like having the game available pretty much fully, I acknowledge that it takes away any reason for me to sub. Hence, from my perspective this game has actually taken a step back when it comes to making money. It has taken away a reason for me to want to pay.

Hence, suggestions:
Remove the limitation that you can't play once your sub runs out.
Make a tradable premium currency that you can get for real money. With that currency all the current P2P features will be covered:
1. Access to wild space and perilous space. Hence, access to more content, basebuilding and to PvP/BvB.
2. Make special keys or timed passes that you can use to access uber zones.

With those changes I would at least have a reason to consider going P2P, since it wouldn't simply mean losing all progress once I get bored of a very small portion of the game.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:49 am

bump for Jeff!

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

I am really surprised that P2P content is so little. It was "98% of the game" back in C1. Now, P2P content is closer to 33% of the game.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:30 pm
Main: MeowStick
Level: 4929

redalert150 wrote:
...Instead they charge you 1-3 times a year $10-$90 for a expansion. Which supports the game for the most part. Then they add mico transactions, mostly cosmetic stuff that actually helps support the game even further. I actually think this would be really beneficial for SS. ... They could of marketed Oly as a expansion charge $50, subspace another $50, PPS another $50. Since its outdated content now you would buy all 3 expansions for a cheaper price. Thats exactly how all MMOs are doing it now.

Can we actually do this please, this is an unbelievably good idea.

I know a fair few f2ps that find themselves incapable of going p2p because they are shadowed by the fact that they won't be able to keep playing unless they keep subbing.

By changing the entire system, not only do players have the chance to make a ONE TIME payment for the content that they want to play, but devs also get an incentive to create and release new, meaningful content in order to gain revenue.

This is honestly a much better system than the one we have now and I think it should seriously be considered by the devs.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:28 pm
Main: Dominator
Level: 2514

Im definately for creating micro transactions in game. The fact that SS has done monthly subscription will be very hard to swap these two completely different business models around so the best idea would be to introduce both. initially lower the subscription cost by half. and introduce an ai base/galaxy of bases with numerous items, skills, ships, weps. xp bonuses etc. The cost cannot be ridiculously expensive. we are talking $2,$4,$10,$20,$50 as a maximum. These items must be unique though not just basic stuff in game already.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next