Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

Post Alchemy Laboratories: Making subprime galaxies more valuable
So at the present moment, not too many people really think about T0/T1 commodities very much when deciding on galaxies. Everyone wants the big bad boys to fuel their endgame needs. My suggestion would improve the value of galaxies with loads of T0/T1's, while also giving MFM a meaning.

What is my suggestion?

Currently, these are the commods you can extract from planets.

Tier 0 (Common): Space Oats, Baobabs, Metals, Silicon, Nuclear Waste
Tier 1 (Uncommon): Jelly beans, Copper, Tin, Petroleum, Silver, Vis, Titanium
Tier 2 (Rare): Alien Bacteria, Gold, Quantumum, Diamond, Ablution Crystals, Laconia, Enriched Nuclear Waste, Plasma Crystals, Psion Icicles
Tier 3 (Ultra-Rare): Bacta, Rubicite, Platinum, Energon, Adamantium, Fermium, Dark Matter, Frozen Blob

The thing is, some of those things are so rare that only the creme de la creme have those upper tier resources. And they usually are able to get what they want, when they want it.

The solution, in my eyes, is to create Merchant Fleet Master locked Alchemy Laboratories. These would take in large amounts of a specific Tier 0/1/2 resource, and turn them into a single resource of a higher Tier. Higher techs would do it more efficiently for less resources, and less gold. They would be really, really big OR sticky. You wouldn't be able to just drop one on a base from the get go and start churning out high end commods.

I also think it would be pretty cool if there were special types of workers that you could train in order to make it work more efficiently. The laboratories themselves wouldn't be upgradeable, but you could train Alchemists and build a Philosophers Pebble>Stone>Tablet which would NOT be sticky and would accelerate/cheapen the process of the Matter to Matter converters.

You don't have to call them Alchemy Labs, you could call them Matter to Matter convertors or replicators or whatever the hell you want. The principle is still the same:

MFM locked factories that turn (for example) Space Oats into Jelly Beans, Jelly Beans into Alien Bacteria and Alien Bacteria into Bacta.

So what say you?

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:01 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Alchemy Laboratories: Making subprime galaxies more valu
Why would an alchemy factory be locked to MFM of all things? Furthermore, with the introduction of prospecting it seems that most tier 3 commods are more plentiful if anything than stuff like Diamonds.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:20 pm
Contributor

anilv wrote:
Why would an alchemy factory be locked to MFM of all things? Furthermore, with the introduction of prospecting it seems that most tier 3 commods are more plentiful if anything than stuff like Diamonds.

Station Master > Improves station stuff (Obvious really good use)
Colonial Administrator > Improves colony stuff (Obvious really good use)
Extraction Expert > Improves extraction stuff (Obvious really good use)
Merchant Fleet Master > Improves trade slave related stuff (Hey stronger trade slaves... Thanks. :roll: )

I know MFM is useful as well, but its usefulness is more indirect than the others. Making MFM responsible for taking those commodities and turning them into something else would really cement its place and turn the holy Trinity that are trade skills into the holy Quadrality. Even more reasons below.

1. Every single other skill is more commonly used by almost everyone and has base gear associated with it. MFM needs some luvin'.

2. Merchants are about turning a profit, and what increases profits more than turning semi worthless commodities into more profitable commodities?

3. Just seems really cool to have science wizards on your bases turning all those commodities you haul around into more useful commodities. I mean come on, who doesn't want to pretend they're some Trade Baron with Wizard minions sitting on their base feverishly turning Silicon into something that is indistinguishable from Diamonds? XD

And to answer your question about Tier 2 being more important than Tier 3, Alchemy Labs would address that.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:46 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

I personally agree with the MFM choice. Currently there is no incentive behind building an MFM base. Every other trade skill has some very strong incentive to build bases. MFM is whored out to alts that either don't need bases because you already have enough, or don't have enough slots left. It's basically a trade skill for your characters that cannot build, which is dumb.

A reason to make main characters MFM sounds splendid to me. That way it can start being an actual trade skill instead of just beefed trade slaves to run to all of your other characters' bases.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:42 pm
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

I think this wouldn't be that bad of a idea for mfm. And for what enk said can always have a break down of tier 3 and tier 1 commods to make tier 2 but obviously at negative rate.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:06 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I don't like the idea of compressing low tier commods into higher tier. If you need more commods, you need to claim more gals or buy commods from other players. I believe there is a better way to make t0 commods actually useful.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:42 am
Contributor

Antilzah wrote:
I don't like the idea of compressing low tier commods into higher tier. If you need more commods, you need to claim more gals or buy commods from other players. I believe there is a better way to make t0 commods actually useful.

Its obviously going to be inferior to actually extracting the commodities. But, at present, its too easy to be shut out of higher end resource creation if you don't have access to upper tier extractors.

This helps to get around, or even supplement, that.

If you have a belief in a better way, why not share that better way in this thread instead of teasing us with it... :|

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:25 am
Team: Inert witty name here
Main: Sk1rm1sh
Level: 2032

Slightly off topic, but I disagree that MFM is useless for bases: it's plays a support function for bases and works together with the other trade classes to increase the potential value of a galaxy.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:41 am
Main: badaboom
Level: 2793

I like this idea, although red is right, MFM can make support bases, say as example they can lay a simple basic geared base with a grem cannon =D they always stir the pot a little don't they? hahahaha

On the other side of things, make certain base only items that convert 2/3 gold and 2/3 diamond into 1 adamantium which are MFM only or something of the sort =)

Visorak wrote:
PvB uber.

Thanks. :D

This post was edited a total of 1,000,000,000 times.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:12 am
Team: Inert witty name here
Main: Sk1rm1sh
Level: 2032

taggz1 wrote:
I like this idea, although red is right, MFM can make support bases, say as example they can lay a simple basic geared base with a grem cannon =D they always stir the pot a little don't they? hahahaha

On the other side of things, make certain base only items that convert 2/3 gold and 2/3 diamond into 1 adamantium which are MFM only or something of the sort =)

Did I get promoted to red? :lol: What I mean is it's like saying ShM is useless with combat to say MFM is useless with bases :P

Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:08 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: Aridross
Level: 4150

These are all good ideas. whatever may come of this thread will be a welcome addition to SS.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:24 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

MasterTrader wrote:
Its obviously going to be inferior to actually extracting the commodities. But, at present, its too easy to be shut out of higher end resource creation if you don't have access to upper tier extractors.

Except there's prospecting so you can't get shut out of high end resource creation. Have you seen the price of Bacta lately?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:50 am
Contributor

anilv wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

Except there's prospecting so you can't get shut out of high end resource creation. Have you seen the price of Bacta lately?

I thought I updated that post to include people that prospect all the time. Apparently I did not. I am aware of how much of an impact prospecting has on high end commods. I do not know how much Bacta is going for at present. I've been pretty sick for the past few months and haven't been playing SS. :(

Again, that doesn't nullify the core of my idea: MFM get special station factories that let them turn one type of commodity into a different commodity. They would be the manufacturing arm in a sense. The admins could even give MFM locked upgrades to bases that are similar to Rovert's, but obviously weaker.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:00 pm
Team: Adamantiumized Souls
Main: TheWozbo
Level: 2166

Wouldn't a better option being MFM slaves getting prospecting bots or something that let the prospect from a range of galaxies? Would be more thematically appropriate.

Of course, this would be nice to go hand in hand with a "more prospectables, lower amounts" change.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 pm
Contributor

Man I have a huge idea on how to rebalance prospecting, use up the Tier 3 commods that have flooded the market, give meaning to PvP AND incentivize controlling territory while also implementing my MFM idea and giving the admins new base building rebalance a meaningful research component.

Part of that would be giving duplicate blueprints a use, was thinking there could be a new ethereal alien race from another dimension that focuses on research. They want to understand the technology in our dimension, because they're just curious, and they have "toys" that they wouldn't mind sharing with us. They would allow you to turn in blueprints in exchange for tokens that can be used to buy equipable "Skins" for bases. Those skins would give 1% bonuses to various things that bases do. People who don't give a shit about 1% would just use what they wanted, while min maxers would be like "Oooooh! 1%!" :roll: .

Anyway, sorry to derail my own topic, but I'm sensing that most people think that this idea (no matter how much or how little is implemented) is a good one.

TheWozbo wrote:
Wouldn't a better option being MFM slaves getting prospecting bots or something that let the prospect from a range of galaxies? Would be more thematically appropriate.

Of course, this would be nice to go hand in hand with a "more prospectables, lower amounts" change.

That's an option as well, but would require admins to overhaul the way slaves work (Which they should do anyway, really tired of not being able to finely control my slaves... Also part of the reason they're useless in runs).

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm