Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Post Re: Hober's Tentative Class Augmenter Changes
Funny. People who actually have the classes are are telling you to leave the augs alone and people who dont even own that type of char yourself included are arguing otherwise :lol:

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:42 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4921

I'll keep what you're saying in mind Red, do you have any feedback on anything else?

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:03 pm
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

The main purpose of choosing one class over another is to use the class advantages. Like, I get to MF as a Zerk and do a ton of close range damage.

If my class augs were all about increasing range and increasing my sustain, it makes it look like you're trying to give me sniper bonuses instead of zerk bonuses. In that case I'll go sniper and find class augs that give me multifiring and negative range.

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:04 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

I once more reiterate my request that the early level BZerker augs swap Hostility for Electrical Tempering. I do not need swarms of ships at level 200, i need my weapons to not drain my banks.

I also reiterate my suggestion that "Fighter Operations Augs" become a thing. Cause that is an entire section of FC's that is practically useless, as far as anyone has told me.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:51 am

If you don't like the tentative changes (of which I do, and I would most definitely use these augs if/when I play again), then don't use the augs. There are other augs out there that boost sustain.

As for Fighter Operations, Hober and I are very against that. Well, I am very against that. Hober seems to be just against it. Why? I'll use Drone Operations as a parallel. Drone Ops is critical for Engineers to have good drones. Thus, the best Engineers are built on the theory crafting table and those with money to burn end up the top Engineers. Do you think it's fair that the best Engineers are literally the ones with the most money? And that's why Fighter Ops suck ass as a concept. The better Fighter Ops augs will be money gated, and thus the best FCs in regards to fighters, will be the ones with the most money to spend.

And that is off topic.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:07 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Pontius123 wrote:
If you don't like the tentative changes (of which I do, and I would most definitely use these augs if/when I play again), then don't use the augs. There are other augs out there that boost sustain.

The purpose of this thread was, the last time i checked, to suggest changes to the Augs. Which is what i am doing. I am aware of the other augs that boost sustain, I am contending that sustain is class critical to Zerkers in ways it is not to, say, snipers.

Pontius123 wrote:
I'll use Drone Operations as a parallel. Drone Ops is critical for Engineers to have good drones.

Good, becouse that is what i am basing this on.

Pontius123 wrote:
Thus, the best Engineers are built on the theory crafting table

Source?

Pontius123 wrote:
those with money to burn end up the top Engineers. Do you think it's fair that the best Engineers are literally the ones with the most money?

Non Sequiter. First, IF those with money to burn are ending up the top engineers, it implies there is a shortage of basic engineering materials. However, you have not shown why those with the most money would end up the top engineers. Lavrite and Banu Qo Akk'oj are perfectly available. If drop rates need to be increased, increase, them. The fact that drop rates on certain augs are too low does not prove that the concept of a "Fighter Ops" stat is flawed.

Pontius123 wrote:
And that's why Fighter Ops suck ass as a concept.

Again, non sequiter. All you have shown is that drop rates are to low. You have not shown that the concept of "Fighter Operations" as a stat is unbalancing in any way. If this is who i think this is, you yourself have repeatedly told me fighters are junk. That is 1/3 of all FC skills reduced to garbage by the lack of a relevant aug boost. Explain please why 1/3 of all FC skills should be garbage because you are worried about money gates?

Pontius123 wrote:
The better Fighter Ops augs will be money gated, and thus the best FCs in regards to fighters, will be the ones with the most money to spend.

Again, this is a drops problem, not a concept problem.

Pontius123 wrote:
And that is off topic.

It is entirely on topic. 1/3 of all FC skills are trash because the item they give a bonus to is junk. Increasing the bonus would give more options and allow more versatility, i do not see how that is a bad idea.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:14 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I think a fighter rework (which Morat was working on... But he's been Mia for months now :( ) would be better than adding an Aug Stat for fighters.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:26 am
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

I'd prefer controllers to augs - Unless the augs gave decent resist or elec too I'd avoid them.

Fighter rework would be nice though.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:26 am

DarkSteel wrote:
I think a fighter rework (which Morat was working on... But he's been Mia for months now :( ) would be better than adding an Aug Stat for fighters.

Precisely. Fighter Ops, as Drone Ops, is gated by having money. The best Engineer is the one with a couple trillion stashed away to buy up a 2 Banu 1 UAoE setup if their team doesn't have the ability to do it for them. This setup will almost always be better than the 3 Gen Mast the lower ranking Engineers fly with. It's always been like this. Previously, the better Engineers had money to replace the drones the lower ranking ones could not afford to, so you rarely saw AIDs or ACDs on anything but the best. Hence, Titan Drone spam.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:50 am
Contributor

lrellok wrote:
I once more reiterate my request that the early level BZerker augs swap Hostility for Electrical Tempering. I do not need swarms of ships at level 200, i need my weapons to not drain my banks.

I also reiterate my suggestion that "Fighter Operations Augs" become a thing. Cause that is an entire section of FC's that is practically useless, as far as anyone has told me.

Here is what I said earlier in the topic about this.

Quote:
There is damage on the augmenter, this increases your DPE and DPS while not affecting your EPS. Rate of Fire increases your DPS, increases your EPS, and doesn't affect your DPE. Electric tempering doesn't affect your DPS, lowers your EPS and increases your DPE. Damage is superior to Electric Tempering and Rate of fire for increasing your DPS. Electric tempering turns your Berserker from upfront damage to more consistent damage over time, so instead of a spike in the beginning of combat followed by an evening out of damage you get a pretty consistent line.

My end point is that a low level Berserker is more likely to constantly die if they are focusing their augs into Electric Tempering than they are if they get damage. Berserker has no regeneration, if you can't kill the target before it kills you you're done. Large electric tempering bonuses do not help you kill the target before it kills you, it lets you continue to shoot for long periods of time. This will kill you if you're trying to fight anything remotely tough.

And, I don't know if you know this or not, but your class skills increase the value of your augmenters. If your class skills give a bonus to something, and you have an augmenter that gives those bonuses as well, they multiply with your augmenters. Berserker gets to double dip on Damage, Energy, Shield, Hostility, Weapon Hold and Resistance. It doesn't double dip with Electric Tempering. Speed Demon does, though. Replacing Hostility with Electric Tempering also screws over Berserker's that are playing with other people, and doesn't fit with the Class Augmenters. They all give you more of what you signed up for when you picked the class, you didn't sign up for Electric Tempering.

This is why I tried my best to put the stats that I did on the lower level augmenters (And tried to mirror those stats into the higher level augmenters), although some augmenters may not have exactly the same stats that their class due to trying to fill in holes (Like Gunner getting Inertial Dampening... seeing as its in a Capital Ship, from a class standpoint it makes sense to be more resistant to knockbacks and explosions).

If you want to talk to me about adding more augmenter choices for Electric Tempering, I'm more than willing to look into that.

EDIT: Updated my post per enkelin's reply.

I've updated the spreadsheet and it should be much easier to read now. I've also updated the stats as well to account for feedback and changes. The stats in my previous posts are not up to date.

Last edited by MasterTrader on Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:59 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

FWIW: RoF does not lower your DPE. It keeps it the same.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:20 pm
Contributor

anilv wrote:
FWIW: RoF does not lower your DPE. It keeps it the same.

Thank you for the clarification, I'll revise my posts so that they include EPS and fix the mistake I made in attributing it to DPE.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:33 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

MasterTrader wrote:
lrellok wrote:

Here is what I said earlier in the topic about this.

Quote:
There is damage on the augmenter, this increases your DPE and DPS while not affecting your EPS. Rate of Fire increases your DPS, increases your EPS, and doesn't affect your DPE. Electric tempering doesn't affect your DPS, lowers your EPS and increases your DPE. Damage is superior to Electric Tempering and Rate of fire for increasing your DPS. Electric tempering turns your Berserker from upfront damage to more consistent damage over time, so instead of a spike in the beginning of combat followed by an evening out of damage you get a pretty consistent line.

My end point is that a low level Berserker is more likely to constantly die if they are focusing their augs into Electric Tempering than they are if they get damage. Berserker has no regeneration, if you can't kill the target before it kills you you're done. Large electric tempering bonuses do not help you kill the target before it kills you, it lets you continue to shoot for long periods of time. This will kill you if you're trying to fight anything remotely tough.

And, I don't know if you know this or not, but your class skills increase the value of your augmenters. If your class skills give a bonus to something, and you have an augmenter that gives those bonuses as well, they multiply with your augmenters. Berserker gets to double dip on Damage, Energy, Shield, Hostility, Weapon Hold and Resistance. It doesn't double dip with Electric Tempering. Speed Demon does, though. Replacing Hostility with Electric Tempering also screws over Berserker's that are playing with other people, and doesn't fit with the Class Augmenters. They all give you more of what you signed up for when you picked the class, you didn't sign up for Electric Tempering.

This is why I tried my best to put the stats that I did on the lower level augmenters (And tried to mirror those stats into the higher level augmenters), although some augmenters may not have exactly the same stats that their class due to trying to fill in holes (Like Gunner getting Inertial Dampening... seeing as its in a Capital Ship, from a class standpoint it makes sense to be more resistant to knockbacks and explosions).

If you want to talk to me about adding more augmenter choices for Electric Tempering, I'm more than willing to look into that.

EDIT: Updated my post per enkelin's reply.

I've updated the spreadsheet and it should be much easier to read now. I've also updated the stats as well to account for feedback and changes. The stats in my previous posts are not up to date.

The part about double-dipping is false. Since most stats scale exponentially between augs and class skills the specific stats don't matter much. What matters is, in the end, your overall DPS, DPE and range. Having stats on 3 levels(gear, ship bonuses, class bonuses) is a fundamental part of the balance of this game precisely because they can be balanced separately.
That is, a class that deals high damage without augs deals high damage with augs too, unless they're gutted in a stupid way(multifiring doesn't scale like the rest!?) or unless the low availability of some stat hinders them(seer and critting at low levels).

Just run the numbers. Try 2 base setups:
A weapon and a RoF bonus.
A weapon and an equivalent damage bonus.
Then compare the DPS of both setups on 2 classes - someone with a damage bonus and someone with an equal RoF bonus. The DPS does not change, although DPE does.
Thus, the specific stat a class gives does not increase the value of the same stat on augs.

Next week on One Piece - How having bonuses of the same kind stack linearly eventually reduces all playstyles into a few cookie-cutter versions because combining different bonuses gives an exponential(better) scaling.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:41 pm
Contributor

Class Skill bonuses multiply with augmenter bonuses... I don't know why you would say the opposite of what is true...

viewtopic.php?p=507275#p507275

anilv wrote:
Pandine wrote:
anilv wrote:
Roughly speaking, the way to calculate the effect of multiple augmenter bonuses is to add them together. When all the bonuses are positive, this is exactly what happens.

Hrmm, so just for an example, the calculations of a 6 Hephaestus (50% capacity) Auged Thatch & AT 25 & Support Focus 20 (180% capacity) would be:

1) 55,000 * (1 + (0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5) * 2) * 2.8 = 1,078,000

or

2) 55,000 * (1 + (0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5)* 2 + 1.80) = 484,000

and I'm guessing definitely not:

3) 55,000 * (0.5 * 2 + 1)^6 * 2.8 = 9,856,000

i.e. does the class bonuses get simply multiplied on top? and what about aura/overloaders/item bonus'/tertiary skills/bar skills and such? are they simply an added bonus? or a separate multiplier?

Just asking since I was gonna make some storage thatches :)

Number 1 is correct. As I explain in my original post, overloaders and item bonuses add in like augmenters without AT. Everything else (modifications, class skills, bar skills, etc.) multiplies, with a few important exceptions (e.g. Multifiring, SD RoF). Number 3 used to be the correct calculation before the big rebalance some years ago.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:07 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

There is no synergy in there, which is what the post I responded to implied.
Right now afaik the formula is basestat*augmenters*skills. No matter how high the basestat or augmenter bonus is, a skill is still equally strong. It stills adds the same percentage to your power overall.

Just try the test I outlined previously. Whether you add 60% RoF or damage to a sniper, it increases the overall DPS exactly the same. If there was any double-dipping it would be better to stack damage rather than RoF, but it isn't.
To clarify what I said previously - Having a specific damage stat from your class does not make that specific damage stat better than others on augs. The exceptions to this are crit and multifiring, which in different ways fail to scale like the rest does.

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next