Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Remove All Mods
Reasoning is simple; they make the game effectively impossible to balance. I should not be able to generate 1million DPS worth of hostility with 10k DPS. And other mods also allow for pretty fucking ridiculous strides toward improvement that are not accounted for in the imbalance sheets.

Personally I say remove them completely, but if you must keep them then remove them in their current form and just make bindo neurobind gear for +5% base stats, or implement a socket system where you use colored bindo to add a specific stat to a piece of gear, instead of 6 fucking mods.

This way content can finally be properly balanced.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:39 pm

Post Re: Remove All Mods
Rough idea:

Bindo comes in colors for specific starts, and all mods add before apply their effect.

Gear depending on tiers would come with 1-3 slots.

Example:

KMW (2 Slot Item, no restrictions)
Emperor's Ray (3 Slot Item, cannont have more than one of the same color bindomite on a single item)
Red Bindomite (+10% hostility)
Yellow Bindomite (+5% Elec Regen)
Orange Bindomite (-10% Elec Temp)
Blue Bindomite (-10% Hostility)
Pink Bindomite (-10% RoF)

All values are just random numbers to illustrate the idea, and obviously -% mods couldn't add before applying because it would all you to completely eliminate firing elec or visibility, which is an obvious no-no.

But the idea is that people could use unslotted items to keep them non-neurobound. Or they could add specific (and weaker than current mods due to how stacking works at the moment) stats to their build to specialize in what they want.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:48 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

I don't know i like the fact that mods are so crucial to setups. Adds even more customization to the game. However they way to get mods is pretty fucked in this game. I'll continue to refer to my mod crystal idea every time this is brought up.

If they were to do away with the current mod system though, what about the players that have invested bills if not trills on perfectly modded hear?

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:56 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I'd be happy to see mods go to be honest. Like you said they create a very large imbalance. While testing the new prawn I came to the conclusion that a fully modded ship can do up to double the dps of a fully unmodded ship. This fact alone goes to show how crazy things can get. Although, I must say that this is mostly because of the mods a weapon can receive. Those mods alone gave an enormous increase to damage output.

I would also be in favor of a new system, but I think a double system would be quite nice. So one could be with sockets and 'bindo crystals' and another with adding certain mods to items, but only limited to 1 or 2 at most. More like enchants and gems (WoW), in a way.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:25 pm

DarkSteel wrote:
I'd be happy to see mods go to be honest. Like you said they create a very large imbalance. While testing the new prawn I came to the conclusion that a fully modded ship can do up to double the dps of a fully unmodded ship. This fact alone goes to show how crazy things can get. Although, I must say that this is mostly because of the mods a weapon can receive. Those mods alone gave an enormous increase to damage output.

I would also be in favor of a new system, but I think a double system would be quite nice. So one could be with sockets and 'bindo crystals' and another with adding certain mods to items, but only limited to 1 or 2 at most. More like enchants and gems (WoW), in a way.

I actually agree with you here, the only foreseeable issue being that in SS we use a lot more gear than a WoW character so gems and enchants (or whatever name is given to them would have to be substantially weaker to a setup than in WoW.

It would allow for a system wherein new and old players could exchange market resources though, require low level dg drops for the builds, and then high end players will be forced to farm low level dgs themselves, or buy from lower level players. But then such a system is highly dependent on steam bringing in a substantial amount of new players, but provided it goes well you link the low and high end economies in a way that helps player retention and development.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Though I am still pretty adamant in my belief that mods in their current incarnation need to be removed completely, and replaced with a completely fresh and updated system that lends itself to proper balance while remaining useful. Working with the current system is a waste of time. Either you nerf everything to the level of uselessness to make it balance friendly, or you let the huge potential for overpowered setups to continue to exist.

So an elimination of current mods and implementation of a completely new system (or no new system at all) seems the best option to me.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:38 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Fully agree that mods suck and need to be removed.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:58 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Wouldnt a system where everyone is capable of achieving the same amount of mods on any piece of gear be a lot better then getting rid of a system that has been in place forever now and several players have made their setups based on this system?

I dont think doubling your dps with mods is such a bad thing, like i said it adds a whole other way to add more customization to your gear. It makes you feel powerful and more invested into your characters. The issue i think is that its basically impossible for the majority of the player base to ever achieve these mods cause of how shitty the bindo system currently is.

At the moment you can only get a max of 4 additional random mods on a piece of gear, with a very low chance to get even more then 2 mods. I wish i would of known this before modding 600 hydra tails :lol: This system is dumb when mods are so huge in setups. We should be able to get the exact mods we want on gear and the cap should not be 4 it should be at least 6.

The mod system we currently have in place gives SS a great opportunity to add a grinding mechanic to keep players playing the game to strengthen their chars. Lemon had a great suggestion about basically grinding for 10 mod crystals for one mod, then 20 crystals for a second mod, 30 for third so on and so on. These crystals can be made pretty rare or a certain boss zone drop or whatever. The point is it gives everyone a equal chance at having god tier setups while also adding a grinding mechanic for end game players to waste hours on. I dont understand how this continues to be ignored?

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:01 pm
Contributor

You make a great point, a reworked system that preserves people's progression and makes it much more accessible for newer players makes sense to me.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:00 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

MasterTrader wrote:
You make a great point, a reworked system that preserves people's progression and makes it much more accessible for newer players makes sense to me.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62080

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:05 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

Bindomite is the prospected commod. It is converted into a neurobound crystal of some sort. Crystal is color coded to stat. 10/20/30/40 crystals (grand total of 100 crystals if you want a quad modded item of the same stat boost) for each "Enchantment" slot, of which the player can choose which Crystal to stick into the slot. Item can have enchantment slots purged for a fee of additional crystals (50% more for each used slot, so 15/30/45/60). Purged crystals are destroyed. The bonus is effectively becomes an aug mod to the formula. Bonus is not scaled to tech level. Super <Color> Bindomite can also exist, being a bit more powerful, but carrying an appreciable penalty stat.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:28 pm
Team: The Dividing Contrast
Main: The Ultimatum
Level: 282

I really like the idea of grinding to get more mods on a item
I do like the mod system with how much it can make your setups custumisable, I just dislike how some people can have larger amounts of mods on items that others can never attain due to a bug.

Maybe link a new commod to strontium missions, so the rarity of the item can have one more mod added for X commod and a certain amount of strontium missions completed

Oh and nerf (extended dynamic forcful OC) Together or a combo of these add sooo much damage potential to weaps. Or make it possible for everyone to get more mods.

Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:35 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Question, what would the effect on random drops be? DSF has invested cnsiderable time and energy into amassing a collection of modded equipment for new players to use. It would be...Annoying if that effort was wasted. Will certain random drops have sockets for players to mod?

I would like to propose two alternitives. One, revert the change from a year ago and limit mods per equip to two. There was a huge debate leading to a revision that increased the number of mods bindo gives significantly. Limit all equipment to one or two mods and that resolves about half the issues.

Alternatly, remove mods on tech 20 and higher gear. I doubt anyone is going to argue that an extended c beam is op. The problem I am hearing is that mods combined with "super augs" are a problem. So just don"t allow the equipment people who use super augs would have to be modded.

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:08 pm
Contributor

I honestly prefer the system Lemon suggested all that time ago...

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:49 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

I would have supported this idea before Bindomite came out and a large number of us invested heavily into getting specific modifications.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:20 am