Team: Traders League
Main: Eddie
Level: 1001

Post Reduce Game-Play Internet Data-Rate Please
Now Excessive Data-Rate playing S.S.

Data rates for typical average gameplay in S.S. (that's a bit of dg'ing, some baseing etc) in an our have risen from about 5-10mb an hour in C1, and about 10-15mb an hour in early C2, to a whapping 25-50mb mb an hour or more now!

This means that an average month of game play at say 8 hours a day would cost a typical mobile broadband customer in my country a good 200mb a day, or in a month, 8 GIGABYTE, which would cost approx $80.00 and if you include a subscription, that's about $100.00 (A Month)!

This is dissapointing considering the amount of "Action" happening in the typical star system isnt really any more than C1 at its peak.

I'd really appreciate some work done on reducing this! As I'm sure many others would too. No doubt reducing Server Throughput Quantities should reduce the load (cost) for Hamster to Host everybody significantly, but more importantly would reduce all of our play costs. Especially for country's like Australia where internet usage is at a premium!

One classic example of how to do this is to send back a Number for a commod description instead of a String (eg. 125 = (instead of sending) "Mega naughty Entertainer Suite"!)!

Please give it a try, we could all do with reduced play-costs.

256mbps/sec+ when in F.M. or Ring is like downloading a movie, rediculous, and leads to terrible lag for all the less than optic infrastructure users around the world! SS1 used to keep it between 65kbps and 128kbps (Which is what the majority of other country's land-lines can handle at a maximum per-capita usage average!), it used to spike a little in F.M. but not much, and for the same aounts of action - just as an example.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

From Eddie.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:31 am
Main: Almighty Pixel
Level: 4

Post Re: Reduce Game-Play Internet Data-Rate Please
Surprised people still have pay as you go on internet. :shock:

Will try and get Jey to have a look at this.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:43 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Pixel wrote:
Surprised people still have pay as you go on internet. :shock:

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:50 am
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3240

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Dude, 25-50mb an hour for game bandwidth is fucking impressive. Most games have much, much higher throughput.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:01 am
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

mmm, something is awfully wrong if your getting 256mbps in freemarket (or anywhere really).

I'm currently sitting in free market and while it is a bit higher than id like, the average is about 200-250kbps (26-30KB/s), a little under 1/1000 times less than what you are experiencing.

If you truly are getting 256mbps in freemarket from ss, id love for you to provide a /debug net after sitting here for a minute or so (altho even 1 sec would produce a clear reading considering the extreme bandwidth you appear to be experiencing).

As for your suggestion to optimize it, this wouldn't put a dent on the bandwidth, those strings are not transferred 50 times per seconds here, they are once every now and then.

Optimizing them out would imply sending a dictionary, which would mean sending the client the whole list of every item names every reconnection,
or hardcoding it in the client which would in turn mean a client patch every time a new item is added,
or implementing a cached dictionary kind of thing, which would take a fair bit of time and testing and add latency to the first time the client would see any item id.
All that would probably amount to less than 0.01% bandwidth reduction since thats not where the bandwidth get used.

The reason freemarket use a fair amount of bandwidth is the sob positions updates. If we were still on c1 network code but with the current server performance for that specific scenario, the bandwidth would be around 6 times higher. The reason it was lower on c1 was that the server was a lot slower (and incidentally everything had a 300-500ms lag by default) server now run 10 times faster with a minimum forced lag of 100ms (even tho the server is faster, it wait at least 100ms before sending data depending on priority / importance).

The network message representing most of the bandwidth in free market is the sobnewpos which is basically the position update for ships and other dynamic objects . planets and the likes rarely get that since they are "static" even if they do move, they follow a predetermined path. This sobnewpos message was already optimized just about as much as it could be without sacrificing sync and latency. The only reasonable improvements i could do to it, would be to increase the delay (which would mean youd see stuff rubberband / teleport more often if it turn or accelerate etc).

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:02 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

OP will never reply

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:17 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

sabre198 wrote:
OP will never reply

Yeah but only because SS drained all their bandwidth allowance #tinfoilhat

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:45 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

lol

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:05 pm
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

Does Australia even have 256mb internet Laz?

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:30 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

Quote:
Especially for country's like Australia where internet usage is at a premium!

I live in Australia and I've never met anyone in my years of living here that pays based on how much data you use.

All our plans / contracts are for unlimited usage, but limited downloads.
Example: I get 1,000GB of downloads per month, and if I go over that then my speed is shaped from the 20Mbps I get, to 512kbps.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:20 pm