Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post Add "Tracking" to the ingame weapon stats
This should be a no brainer and have been done a while ago. Weapons that look good on paper are total garbage in game, spraying shots all over the place, while weapons that so not look that great rock because the shots hit every time. For new players who do not know the weapons, this will be incredibly frustrating.

Please make tracking a listed stat on weapons, ty.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:09 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Re: Add "Tracking" to the ingame weapon stats
Hard to do this in a way that is helpful. Obviously beams are easy, just an angle of fire. Projectiles are kind of tricky though, whether or not a weapon is going to hit has just as much to do with projectile speed, whether it has mass (catapult type weapons), or even the speed in relation to the turning (example; Magcannons have pretty awesome tracking but their speed is high enough that they will literally just orbit a target until they disappear.

I don't think tracking for projectiles is just a stat scaling to 100%, for the initial firing maybe (most thoraxes and all turrets have omnidirectional firing while others are specifically forward firing). You would need to include projectile speed and turning as well.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:38 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Done, for most weapon types (specifically, Lasergun, Pulsegun, MissileLauncher and Torpedo types).

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Hard to do this in a way that is helpful. Obviously beams are easy, just an angle of fire. Projectiles are kind of tricky though, whether or not a weapon is going to hit has just as much to do with projectile speed, whether it has mass (catapult type weapons), or even the speed in relation to the turning (example; Magcannons have pretty awesome tracking but their speed is high enough that they will literally just orbit a target until they disappear.

I don't think tracking for projectiles is just a stat scaling to 100%, for the initial firing maybe (most thoraxes and all turrets have omnidirectional firing while others are specifically forward firing). You would need to include projectile speed and turning as well.

Actually, tracking on projectiles is pretty simple, it's just the maximum absolute angular velocity they can have, or just how fast they rotate.

Torpedoes (thoraxes) don't have omnidirectional tracking either, they have three stages of movement, delay, burn and an unnamed stage (which I will refer to as glide or flight). A torpedo is created and given the velocity of it's creator, the first stage, delay starts during which time the torpedo will track the target and it's velocity remains unchanged. Burn then kicks in, the torpedo's velocity is set to 0 and it starts accelerating, during this stage it can still turn towards the target. Once burn time is up, the torpedo will stop accelerating but will continue to turn towards the target until it expires.

I've also added projectile speed information.

Support

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:25 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

My man. :)

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:10 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Done, for most weapon types (specifically, Lasergun, Pulsegun, MissileLauncher and Torpedo types).

ShawnMcCall wrote:

Actually, tracking on projectiles is pretty simple, it's just the maximum absolute angular velocity they can have, or just how fast they rotate.

Torpedoes (thoraxes) don't have omnidirectional tracking either, they have three stages of movement, delay, burn and an unnamed stage (which I will refer to as glide or flight). A torpedo is created and given the velocity of it's creator, the first stage, delay starts during which time the torpedo will track the target and it's velocity remains unchanged. Burn then kicks in, the torpedo's velocity is set to 0 and it starts accelerating, during this stage it can still turn towards the target. Once burn time is up, the torpedo will stop accelerating but will continue to turn towards the target until it expires.

I've also added projectile speed information.

Wow good job bobbos thats pretty amazing.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:52 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

TYTYTYTYTYTY!

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:53 pm