Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Tank
Level: 3703

Post No Multi-Client
I already know how this is going to go and im sure yall wont like me for it but i think it needs to be said. MC is the biggest reason for balancing issues. Most setups and uber content are made with the idea that you have a shm or drone master what have you with you. Now this would be fine if it actually meant getting others together to help you. Admin look at how likely it is for the playerbase at this moment to get together with just one character each and actually win in one of these end game zones. Ive only been back maybe a month but it is very clear that multi-clienting is the only way to succeed. In these areas, anyway i was hoping we could start a conversation about how we could try to lean players off of MC and make them more involved in the game instead. I know a few may be like major nerf to get rid of it but i think it would improve our experience a lot. Anyway tell me f off whatever just want to know what people think.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:22 pm
Profile YIM
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

Post Re: No Multi-Client
Remove MC. Easiest solution. Doesn't interfere with base building. Doesn't require a bazillion different balance changes to make it harder for them.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:37 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

This won't ever happen, even though I'm 100% in favor of your suggestion.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:18 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

You cant ban MCing, for one MCing is basically whats keeping this game alive. I wouldnt play this game if i couldnt MC. MCing is to much fun i find myself really bored when only having to control 1-2 characters. You actually have to try really hard when youre mcing 6-9 characters at the same time. Constantly switching clients to hit tweaks and super items, or switch back to zerk to maintain aggro, position characters in better spots so they dont die. Its honestly a rush, not in zone like boring oly or PPS but in subspace where you actually have to move around and do stuff for most of the fights.

Now you claim that MCing is the only way to progress and that is absolutely not true. Sure its a lot easier to progress as a player with multiple accounts since you can do whatever you want when you want, but i know several players that own one single account and are end game players capable of doing anything in game and are always setting up runs with other people. My advice to you would be to get on a bigger active team or find someone who is active around the time youre on to do stuff with. When i came back to the game and only had one account i was lucky enough to find a couple people who were willing to do runs with me and help me progress. Now i understand this can be hard since SS can be pretty quite sometimes so i do agree that there needs to be a way for a player to progress solo. Getting rid of MC is not the way to do it though.

Personally i think a zone just like the crucible, that only lets you enter with one character should be put in the game. This zone will basically be a zone from lvl 0 to end game. It progressively gets harder and you get actual end game rewards to help you progress. MCers cant camp that gives everyone a equal chance and no more of these MC hate topics.

Honestly if SS advertised it self as a MCing game i think a lot more people would be interested in playing it (besides the whole $10/month thing). Im pretty sure the majority of players that MC will tell you that MCing is way more fun then running a single client, or maybe im crazy.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:23 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

I know a number of games that only allow one login from one IP at a given time. Might be unfair to room mates who are using the same router, but i double that is a major issue. Simple have the server check all logins against the existing IP lists, and force logout any IP matching the login.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:17 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3240

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Like it's a big secret I hate MCing. /signed

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 am
Team: Traders
Main: Mow
Level: 9760

Some games actually have something that stops you from opening more than a certain number of clients at any time. That could be something...

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:52 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

i think the idea was to get rid of MC when n > x thousand players

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Main: Taylor Swift
Level: 3894

One of the big things I hate about heists in GTA Online is that I absolutely have to rely on other players, and I have to rely on them to not fuck it up. MCing can both be useful in eliminating the bullshit of dealing with other people IF you don't want to - but for the price of having to gear another account yourself.

On top of that, MCing can be fun, but content should not be balanced around it at all. The only reasons someone would be MCing is 1) for the fun of it or 2) not wanting to deal with other people when doing bosses that are designed for a squad.

Olympus and T22 daily missions are a step in the no-MC-needed direction. Things like the Crucible also help.

If content requires you to MC, that's what the problem is, not MCing itself.

I would like to think the line "excuse me but can I get a shitpost?" is fairly polite.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:21 am
Contributor

No, the problem is MCing. If this game was World of Warcraft or any game without open world territory control it wouldn't matter in a competitive sense. The moment you throw open world territory control into the mix you inherently gain advantages by paying more money per month for an account, even if all you're doing is using that account for base slots (As people were originally doing, because back in the day you couldn't multiclient because the mechanics of the game required you to actively play).

Then mechanics got tweaked and added that made multiclienting easier and easier, starting around the time of The Serengeti iirc. MCing has negative repercussions, they just aren't immediately obvious.

One of the biggest is you end up getting held hostage by people with 10+ accounts threatening to quit if something they don't like happens. Whereas before it would be 10 individual players making that decision, which is much less likely to happen.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:28 pm
Team: Resident Evil
Main: Kaguya
Level: 3248

Me myself, if there was a way to get Oly items, or Subspace items from doing stuff like The Crucible, I would like ... never MC. But that ain't the case and probably will never be the case. This game doesn't have enough people to support this kind of philosophy. The problem lays in that you need a squad for everything, and since there are more people that fuck stuff up then help, you'd rather just do it by yourself MC'ing.

"open world territory" seeing from inside of RE, the ones with alot of accounts cba to sub them, for reasons that have been made clear before. Idk about other teams, but I know that Lemon is on a temporal (or permanent, I don't know) leave. Me, I'm only subbing my accounts whenever there is a war going on, I don't own any galaxies, I think am holding some StM kits for Fruits and that's about it.

The obvious fix would be to add a solo path, that makes use of zones like "The Crucible". The good items from Subspace and Olympus are from bosses that needs a squad to kill it, so if you have to make a squad, and get lucky to get it dropped and then lucky to get the roll on it, ... I don't know but I would rather MC than have to do that shit. You have to be lucky twice to get a decent item, with having no alternative ways to get it; seems reasonable.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:40 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

MasterTrader wrote:
No, the problem is MCing. If this game was World of Warcraft or any game without open world territory control it wouldn't matter in a competitive sense. The moment you throw open world territory control into the mix you inherently gain advantages by paying more money per month for an account, even if all you're doing is using that account for base slots (As people were originally doing, because back in the day you couldn't multiclient because the mechanics of the game required you to actively play).

Then mechanics got tweaked and added that made multiclienting easier and easier, starting around the time of The Serengeti iirc. MCing has negative repercussions, they just aren't immediately obvious.

One of the biggest is you end up getting held hostage by people with 10+ accounts threatening to quit if something they don't like happens. Whereas before it would be 10 individual players making that decision, which is much less likely to happen.

Ummm... multicliented play has been completely viable since at least mid 2006 when I first played. We didn't have explosions, so you didn't need a brake, and opening the chat bar with enter would lock inputs like firing. If anything multi client play is actually less viable now due to how common tractors have become and explosions.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:38 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Also, no collision code so you could hit your targets much easier.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:39 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I have to agree with Shawn. I saw MCing for the first time in 2008 but we've always had mechanics to support it.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am
Contributor

No space break, Shield Monkeys couldn't heal indefinitely because transference efficiency and shield regen (Without draining your electricity super fast) weren't high enough, Slave Master's were not god tier, if you died on your character you lost gear glue and possibly your gear, no inertial dampening, plenty of people didn't even have weapons 20 for a year or so into the game so say goodbye to most of the weapons that had decent tracking and damage. Almost everyone was using Lipo's/DWO's/Excomms/etc. Beams were not widely used until Venusian/Mercurian Lasers got added. No aura's, no tweaks, etc.

The main benefit of multiple accounts at that time was base slots, and even that wasn't as big of a deal until later on.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:46 am