Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Post Engines
Can engines get a huge rebalancing please? You basically HAVE to carry around ace in pills with you if you dont want to be a fat tard. I feel like gear has exponentially got way heavier while engines have basically stayed the same, with each tech level only gaining a small or if any bonus.

Or is having to tweak ace in pills all the time a mechanic the dev team supports?

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:26 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Engines
I'd like to see a broad spectrum of engine stats. Right now there are only a couple engines considered worth using, chiefly those that give nice augmods (and Hydra Tail which will be changed soon). It'd be cool if augmods were more costly in the balance formula, resulting in some "stat stick" engines like the ones that are currently popular, but also some engines that don't give stats but do have much nicer thrust and/or turning. Think of stuff like Merc Ramjet for this model.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:43 am

I would take a great engine with no inbuilt bonuses any day. I honestly wont play on certain chars when i run out of ace in pills :lol: Its just not worth the hassle of fighting with your character to get him in place.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:51 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I would be happy to look into rebalancing engines to make "stat stick" ones pretty mediocre in standard stats, while also buffing the ones without desirable augmods and maybe even adding some new ones that have no augmods at all. I'd also be willing to nerf Ace Pills as part of this project.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:58 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

anilv wrote:
I would be happy to look into rebalancing engines to make "stat stick" ones pretty mediocre in standard stats, while also buffing the ones without desirable augmods and maybe even adding some new ones that have no augmods at all. I'd also be willing to nerf Ace Pills as part of this project.

We should honestly go over all of the neuro tweaks at some point so we don't need to put bandaid solutions like timers on all of them.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:37 pm

anilv wrote:

NO! No more nerfs plz i cant take all the salt in discord anymore :lol: I would like just a overall buff for all current engines or at least the subspace and kalthi depths engines, which is when i think engines started to fall behind. Then any new engine that is added from now on to have really op engines stats.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:51 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

I agree that it would be nice to be able to use more engines without ace in the pill tweaks.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:55 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

Overall engines scale badly. At lower techs they are fine, but at around techs 10-15 it starts to get progressively more bad.
Some classes don't have to care about it, like engineer, if you build tanky. But for some like zerkers it's a horrible experience.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:52 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

I think the problem that Red is finally speaking on here is much more than just, "some of these engines are to underpowered." More than that, movement on basically any class is a miserable ordeal except for SD, Seer, and a Gyro whored zerker.

I think the balance sheets need to have the power ceiling for engines in general raised significantly, otherwise movement in the game will continue to feel slow and counterintuitive. it's just not good for game play.

I think the game is called endless sky, but they have a fantastic system. You get 2 or 3 engines (I usually only use 2). You have your main thruster, turning thrusters and (if you have a large enough ship to use or need one) a reverse thruster for braking. This works fantastically because each ship is given an engine capacity [example; lets say my ship has 80 engine hull. I can use a 50 main, and 30 turn to get pretty balanced organic movement (turning thrusters are smaller than main). Or if I value turning I can do a 40 main 40 turn and have just godly turning. If I am in a huge ship though turning around to counter thrust is just not viable, but I'll have more engine room, so I might have 120 engine hull; I can turn 80 toward main, 30 toward turn, and 10 into having an active brake. Or I could do 60/60 and just take the hit and not have a brake.

I know SS isn't about to completely revamp how engines work, however a system more similar to that where we can allocate engine power, or even have separate engines controlling separate functions would be nice.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:09 pm
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

anilv wrote:

Same goes for Cloaks and Radars.

Do you know how many Mzungu Cloaks are used on non-stealth setups just for the crit hit chance?

Reindeer Radars, Solarian Scanners, Venusian/Merc Radars, and Enforcer Radars all had the same issue.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:49 pm

I mean thrust turning and weight mods can be tweaked around shawn to get the same effect you're speaking about without crucial changes.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:50 pm