Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post Change all Astroid Belts to multi point spawn
Currently, the system of asteroid spawning is a split, sometimes it is one spawn point, sometimes it is many spawn points. While this makes sense in EF layer (allowing player to camp the spawnpoint and thus control the belt) it make no sense in WS, where the team already controls the system and thus multiple team members might make use of the same belt, particularly with larger or slower moving belts.

Multi spawn points make sense for larger belts, as by the time the belt "Circles" the asteroids will have regenerated several times over. This allows multiple bases on a single belt to work effectively encouraging team building (or at least more building) to capitalize on the resources.

As i have said before; Things which encourage good game play, are good!

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:17 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Re: Change all Astroid Belts to multi point spawn
lrellok wrote:
Currently, the system of asteroid spawning is a split, sometimes it is one spawn point, sometimes it is many spawn points. While this makes sense in EF layer (allowing player to camp the spawnpoint and thus control the belt) it make no sense in WS, where the team already controls the system and thus multiple team members might make use of the same belt, particularly with larger or slower moving belts.

Multi spawn points make sense for larger belts, as by the time the belt "Circles" the asteroids will have regenerated several times over. This allows multiple bases on a single belt to work effectively encouraging team building (or at least more building) to capitalize on the resources.

As i have said before; Things which encourage good game play, are good!

You don't seem to understand how they spawn... any orbital ring has randomized spawn around its path. Any fermium sun (which can also have nukes or silicon because devs are assholes sometimes) has a singular spawn point that goes out into a short tail where the roids despawn. These rings are incredibly short and usually house no more than 3 roids at a time. There is no point in randomizing the small suns because their asteroids only have about a 1 minute lifespan, and the asteroid field is maybe 2 inches long.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:51 pm

Shawn, both I and other dsf members are sitting on fermium belts which exceed the screen size, some of which have only a single spawn point. Please stop spreading disinformation, ty.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:37 pm

lrellok wrote:
Shawn, both I and other dsf members are sitting on fermium belts which exceed the screen size, some of which have only a single spawn point. Please stop spreading disinformation, ty.

Yeah, and those are orbital belts.... reading comprehension is a skill you should hone.

"Fermium Sun" is a term for a very specific type of sun that only gives one commod and has a very specific setup. They're usually about 10k out and only spawn 3 asteroids at a time. An orbital belt gets numerous commods, to include fermium, and they ALL have randomized spawn points in there orbital path.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Do you actually even build, or are you talking out your ass? Because I have around 160 mining slaves and I am intimately aware of how Asteroids work. Meanwhile you were asking about basic mechanics on Discord yesterday.

If you want proof of this. You could have tested it yourself. Take a sniper, wipe out any orbital roid field, in every situation the roids will spawn back in randomly around the sun. There is no specific spawn point for orbital rings. Again, the only roids with set spawn points are for fermium suns where the roids don't orbit and instead just trail off.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Yes shawn, I double check all my information even when I am completely certain it is true. Which is why, after using a multi excom zerker to wipe out dozens of belts, and running astroid mining for three uni'S straight, I still asked question before posting to make certain I had not over looked anything. And yes, I have seen ORBITAL BELTS with HUNDREDS OF ASTRIODS respawn from aSINGLE POINT, which is why I asked about it yesterday.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:39 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Galaxy name?, I've never seen one that spawns from point either.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:25 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:

I would also like to know the name of this galaxy, as in 10 years I have not seen what you're describing.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:01 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

ShawnMcCall wrote:
sabre198 wrote:

I would also like to know the name of this galaxy, as in 10 years I have not seen what you're describing.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:39 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

It depends on the spawner, we have three different ways of spawning asteroids.

I'd need a galaxy name to check specifically.

The belt spawners can spawn anywhere within their defined area.
"Fermium suns" are, for some reason, known as seismic in the code. It's the same system used by the asteroids in Anaconda.
This leaves the old style spawners, they have a specific spawn location and can only spawn one asteroid at a time, they should only be getting used by custom galaxies that were made many, many years ago.

Support

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Blue Dwarf wrote:
It depends on the spawner, we have three different ways of spawning asteroids.

I'd need a galaxy name to check specifically.

The belt spawners can spawn anywhere within their defined area.
"Fermium suns" are, for some reason, known as seismic in the code. It's the same system used by the asteroids in Anaconda.
This leaves the old style spawners, they have a specific spawn location and can only spawn one asteroid at a time, they should only be getting used by custom galaxies that were made many, many years ago.

Rendghast is full of shit, then? Thanks for the confirmation, much love.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:57 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

What happened to the op?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 am
Profile WWW

Quote:

Ok, so apparently that is what i was remembering...weird. My apologies to everyone, i knew i had seen large belts re spawning from a single location, and had people howling they could not share belts because of spawn camping.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:15 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

I should also add, for the old style spawners, we created belts with them by making many spawners. Like if an asteroid belt had 200 asteroids, it'd feature 200 spawners (crazy, I know). These spawners were generally produced by a perl script (I believe), which each spawner got a random, but specific spawn location.

Support

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:13 am