Team: MELANIA TRUMP
Main: Renegonz
Level: 1963

Post Thoughts on this
I will keep it short and brief; I'd like to see a day where earthforce and safe gals are PvP free, this day would be once in a while and the main reason for this is that it only requires one day of craziness to keep the game motion running, what i mean by this is that one of the reasons the game used to be what it was is because there was drama and competition, there was always something going on everyday, unlike now that is very quiet, way to quiet imo. This day should be a trigger for those guys wanting to take over gals or do whatever they want to, it could also have something like extra bonuses on tweaks, up to double or something like that, since this is just a suggestion that has not been accepted yet i will keep it like this for the moment, but it could be improved in many ways.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:00 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

Post Re: Thoughts on this
Star Sonata is a Catch Up style game. Each level brings new content and obsoletes old content. It is also very PvE centric because it takes people a long time to upgrade into the next level. Sol and the protected galaxies are there to give people a place to spread out and relax, free from attack.

The game is not set up for a massive free for all no place is safe environment. You can have this in Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, and Eve Online because you are given the tools needed to fight back from day one, and most of the games that cater to this mindset allows all the noobs in their noob ships to make a difference. What's a Leopard player going to do to me? Nothing, I just one shot him.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:25 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Higaran Leader
Level: 3209

Pontius123 wrote:
What's a Leopard player going to do to me? Nothing, I just one shot him.

I loled too hard at that. But agreed with pontius here.

If I can admit to something, I do miss seeing f2p wars going on. I believe the current f2p system opens far too much for f2p players and so there's not so much of an incentive to go p2p, aside from T20+ content and WS. Kind of wish they kept the level cap but to a reason place (Like 250 or 500?) and opened up pvp to f2ps so we can so some more of those low tier fights and allow them to become a little involved in the p2p politics.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

This game's formula does not fit being a "Catch-Up" game. 1000 exp for every level should be a clear indication that this game was never meant to be a grind. The reason the game is quiet is that it's a DayZ/Rust free for all style game with "carebear" tack-ons. In the past it was completely possible to be stuck in Sol if you pissed off enough people in the game.

PvP is what kept players in the game. The game is meant to be a free for all. It was changed to appeal to the more "casual" gamer. Casual by definition being the kind of player that isn't invested in the game. (see: "reddit invasion")

tl;dr: It was a PvP centric free for all and it would be cool if it was still that way.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:19 am

It was originally a free for all, but free for all people do not bring in the dough. Each tech level got progressively more expensive, resource and time wise, until free for all mentality was no longer capable of being the game focus. This happened around when Tech 10 was endgame shit. Free for all mentality would wipe most of the playerbase now, turn away most of the returning playerbase, and there is no guarantee Steam will kick off hard.

A "Catch-Up" game means powercreep city. The next tier/expansion/level immediately obsoletes the current highest tier. This can be good if you're actually trying to make a separate new tier to go up. For example, T19/T20 to T21/T22, you expect the next tier to be blatantly better than the previous tier. But in SS, each new expansion tends to obsoletes stuff in the current tier.

At release, Subspace was said by the dev team to be an alternative to Tier 2 Olympus (including the ship+ versions). The only item that wasn't instantly outdated was the Heph Machine, because 4 augs op yo! Later on, Peri Peri Space was added and the same dumb dev team said PPS items are an alternative to Subspace items. Most of T22 Subspace was made obsolete right then and there, and that was before all the changes to PPS.

The dev team can't simply reset the whole game and turn it into something different to cater to a select few vocal minority. ...Wait, no it can. Ever want to know why Star Sonata 2 is 2.5D?

Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:26 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

I'd argue that the fact that the current player base would leave if it was changed back is something that has been self-inflicted by turning the game into what it is now. I suppose the fact that new gear always requires resource is why pvp was so rampant in the old days, but it seems odd that with free for all games being so popular a game which had massive amounts of pvp can't go back to that.

In general, my opinion is that the game started to go downhill the moment all gear in the game was rebalanced to make Oly gear useful. The develop decisions from that time onward have mostly been questionable. There are just so many bandaids like "reconditioned" ship hulls being used for ai, simply because it was impossible to level effectively off of already existent ai. (missile based leveling being the only way to go after longterm complaints of slaves being overpowered, drone charging changes, etc...)

Even early views of c2 showed 2.5D gameplay. The devs did listen to the "vocal minority" when rebalancing the game. When the majority spoke up and threatened to leave over "carebear" mechanics they were dismissed as a "vocal minority" and actually did leave. (turns out if people really don't like changes to the game, telling them they're wrong doesn't keep them playing, same thing applies to turning the game back)

Vocal minority refers to the fact that while many people have the same idea, only a few will speak up. The assumption that just because an idea is had by a minority that they will have more voices than the majority is absurd.

Now more than ever people are playing games where it is possible to lose everything and need to start over. Why the need to avoid PvP?
(possibly only true because more people than ever are playing video games, point still stands that the market should be bigger than before)

I highly doubt that Steam will make the game kick off in it's current state. I prefer the style of "less story than a movie poster" and massive team fights anyway.

Steam seems to love games that are "interesting" and "different". Mission dialogues crammed with text isn't interesting. A grind where you can't lose anything isn't different. I doubt keeping the game in it's current state is healthy, all chat is practically dead; it used to never shut up. There needs to be some sort of "engaging" player interaction. This game used to capture the same thing that Eve captures and that game is entirely driven by player interaction.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:32 am

Early views of C2 was a top down 2d view with new client windows and code. Then c2 development stopped/slowed to a crawl. Once it started back up again, c2 was going to be "Three dimensional". It was actually going to be 2.5d; the bottom of all the models are not textured and movement still existed on a 2d plane.

Vocal minority means a small minority has an idea, but they make enough noise to appear to be much bigger and important than they or their idea is. Bageese later admitted that if they (the dev team) knew that almost all of the playerbase wanted a 2d c2, there would be a 2d c2, but she was lazy and arrogant and assumed that this is what the playerbase wanted without even bothering to ask if this is what the playerbase wanted. So a small, vocal, behind-the-scenes minority convinced the dev team to make it 3d.

Jeff had said in the past a lot of people (under 100) quit or refused to try the game because it wasn't like Eve or Vendetta, aka 3d.

--

Bandaid bullshit I agree with, but the game has probably been in dire straits since T10. There is no unified tier system, the rarity system is unfinished, most of the content is heavily reliant on RNG, class balance is rather lacking, class content and role ability is poor for half the classes, it's pretty hard to get that sandbox feeling going at higher levels, and there is not enough variation in gear to differentiate people.

Early game leveling being shit has to do mostly with how AI automatically got Augmenter Tweaking when the players did not. Players often were level 500-1000 before they knew or started leveling AT, but Goblins to give an example had AT25. Big Greens had AT40. And it kept going up from there. Many of the lower level AI also have full class skills; those dumb Goblins were given [Gunner class] Destruction 20 for some stupid reason. Others had Sniper 20 and ability to build Sniper Analysis.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:30 pm
Main: Camm
Level: 863

Post dreysdyre
tgyitfgyi

Last edited by Cameron231099 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:27 pm

During an experience event (a simple 2x modifier), I got one character from level 0 to level 700 in one day with no help from my other characters. I figure you can get, presuming you don't get bogged down anywhere, 200-300 levels a day. Limit f2p to 250 and you run the issue of not enough people to do content. I personally have met exactly 1 sub1k p2p, and Sundog said there are about 5 in the last month that appeared on his team. So we're looking at 10-20 new p2p in the subT20 areas of the game. And how much subT20 items have been procured?

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:13 pm