Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post Increase the system Drone Count from Team Skills
TLDR; Increase the Drone Slots gained from Drone logistics to 3-5 per level.

With the removal of the cap on Station kits allowed in a system, it has become possible to better utilize systems as a whole team. The average number of planets in system being 10 and the average slot per planet being 3 (plus moons), this allows for 30 bases per system (plus moons). Thus, one system can hold 2 or even more accounts (150 slots = 9 slots x 16 stations) However, a single system with the 25 drone limiter cannot even hold a full accounts worth of drones. (40 drone deploy+10 drone research)x 5 char/9 drone = 27 drones. This is a problem as while players are able to maximize their bases, they are not able to maximize their drones.

By allowing Drone Logistics to grant upwards of 55 drones in a teamed system, this allows both players in the system to put drones down. Further, this would encourage better defense of player systems and open more options for players to use combinations of drones in defense networks.

Can we please get an update bringing Drone defenses on par with station based defenses?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:00 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Post Re: Increase the system Drone Count from Team Skills
It has been announced that team skills will get a total revamp but I don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:31 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

We're actually trying to move away from team skills being necessary to function as a team. (And several skills are being changed to make this more of a reality). Beefing this skill would be counterproductive to that effort.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:43 pm

SI wrote:
We're actually trying to move away from team skills being necessary to function as a team. (And several skills are being changed to make this more of a reality). Beefing this skill would be counterproductive to that effort.

I would like to read back to you what i just read, to make certain i am not misunderstanding.

You would rather people not be able to function as a team, then be able to function as a team by using the skills designed to help them function as a team.

:shock: :o

In that event, can we get the number of in system drone spots doubled or even tripled please?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:09 pm
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

No, Ryan wants team skills to be extras/optional/secondary bonuses that help, but are not critical for a team to actually function.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:33 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

lrellok wrote:
SI wrote:

I would like to read back to you what i just read, to make certain i am not misunderstanding.

You would rather people not be able to function as a team, then be able to function as a team by using the skills designed to help them function as a team.

:shock: :o

In that event, can we get the number of in system drone spots doubled or even tripled please?

I vote, not no, but hell no. This sounds like a way to abuse the galaxy bound drones (which are basically free) to force even greater investments on the part of BvBers. 30 is already generous as hell, if you can't make a huge difference in your galaxy strength with 30 drones then you are either using the wrong drones, or you're just dumb.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:23 am

ShawnMcCall wrote:
to force even greater investments on the part of BvBers.

You say this like it is a bad thing...?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:21 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

ShawnMcCall wrote:
I vote, not no, but hell no. This sounds like a way to abuse the galaxy bound drones (which are basically free) to force even greater investments on the part of BvBers. 30 is already generous as hell, if you can't make a huge difference in your galaxy strength with 30 drones then you are either using the wrong drones, or you're just dumb.

QFT

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:45 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Drones aren't meant to be as strong as stations.
We've recently given very high beefs to the existing permanent drones, as well as created homefield advantage drones for defending parties. You have the tools, it's up to you to utilize them.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I would also like to mention that large amount of drone slots can act as false security. Bad drones can be a hindurance for entire galaxy and act as a bad damage soak.

EDIT: Dropping 60 drones in a gal would also be annoying "convenience feature" if metagame swifted into players being forced to use max drones.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:14 am
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

30 drones plus whatever you get from Drone Logistics is fine.

I'm not against having higher costs for the attacker, but I think Rendghast is exaggerating a bit. Ada Souls (when everyone was on vacation and 13 was online for a limited period) fended off an attack from Zephyr. 5 Demented T20s and 8 Bana Kits defending against 5 Adamantium T20s. The combined firepower of the defending bases meant that any kit that got within range took a huge chunk of damage. The attack was ultimately a failure, so Zephyr lost 5 ada kits. The cost of said ada kits was about 100b. Considering this loss, I don't think Zephyr will build a Station Amp and attack 13 again. That would be 300b sunk into the ground to prevent a minor annoyance from having a half decent prod galaxy.

Roughly Ada Souls had 1 account holding down the fort and 1 account extracting resources. As long as someone doesn't anger Traders or RE, that would be a sufficient defense for new teams. Cough.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:26 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

lrellok wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:
to force even greater investments on the part of BvBers.

You say this like it is a bad thing...?

I like how you ignored the bit about drones already playing a massive role in BvB, and that you're probably just using them wrong...

As far as I know the only WS galaxy your team controls is protected by like 2-3 actual kits, and a bunch of t12 drones. So, your problem is that you're crying for even cheaper defense when you're not even using the tools you already have at your disposal. Asking for mechanics to be changed in your favor is not the right answer, learning the current mechanics is.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 pm

ShawnMcCall wrote:
I like how you ignored the bit about drones already playing a massive role in BvB, and that you're probably just using them wrong...

As far as I know the only WS galaxy your team controls is protected by like 2-3 actual kits, and a bunch of t12 drones. So, your problem is that you're crying for even cheaper defense when you're not even using the tools you already have at your disposal. Asking for mechanics to be changed in your favor is not the right answer, learning the current mechanics is.

Please reread my original post ty. I am saying that currently a solid defense would require 2 persons worth of stations per system (IE 300 points of kits), but that less then one person worth of drones is allowed by fiat cap. This has led a large number of newer teams to mistakenly allow people their own system or even two systems, with disastrous results. Setting a clear marker both in drone count and station count at 2 players per system would encourage better game play. The current mechanics are unclear and ought to be clarified.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:54 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

lrellok wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

Please reread my original post ty. I am saying that currently a solid defense would require 2 persons worth of stations per system (IE 300 points of kits), but that less then one person worth of drones is allowed by fiat cap.

You're saying you need 30 T20 kits worth of defense to hold a galaxy effectively, which is simply not true. I can speak out of personal experience when I say a galaxy is near impossible to PvB with 15 T12 kits and 3 T18 kits (for healing). You'd need to piss off a big team to get that killed, which is something you should be avoiding to do in the first place.

The statement you make about 1 player maxing drone slots can only be achieved (,if it can be achieved at all, its early cba to math,) by using very low tech drones. A character can only lay 6 T20 drones at once, requiring 5 characters to max out the initial drone slots of a galaxy before Drone Logistics

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:15 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

I'd also like to point out that you might want to deploy permanent drones in other systems which you don't own, such as Anatolia or Earthforce Space galaxies which you've setup shops in.

Also, you perhaps don't want to fill a galaxy with kits (especially as StM), as this leaves you with the option to easily expand into a second galaxy (with team mates), or to run kits in BvB scenarios.

Support

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:59 am